Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New garage for a spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

That is one beautiful garage,Joe! Congrats
Old 08-17-2014, 01:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
Fantastic Joe!
Originally Posted by TurboCup87
That is one beautiful garage,Joe! Congrats
Thanks, guys!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 AM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok - need some advice on this topic. I am on the second design of a detached garage to meet county and HOA provisions. The latest version and site plan are fully compliant with the County (including the addition of a ridiculous retention pond for runoff). The dimensions are 36x40, and now the HOA is saying it's too big (from heavy lobbying from neighbor). It is planned to be a compliant 30' from the side setbacks on a heavily wooded 3 acre lot.

I am considering next step which would likely require a formal legal process. My question is based on what I could find from case law. The courts seem to find for HOA only when the Covenant are specific. More often the courts find for the homeowner due to the HOA's "exceeding their jurisdiction as set forth in the Covenants".

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Hope this isn't if it is, I will repost.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,854 Likes on 2,395 Posts

1600 sf over a 3 acre lot (130k+ sf), i would shoot the neighbor.if they can see your garage at all, they are peeping toms.

if HOA doesn't specifically disallow it, and you are within floor area ratio of city general plan, your neighbor really has little legal rights. u can call it a living room or in law unit. i park my cars in the living room. really. it was a fire station. the fire engines used to park in my living room.

there is no law preventing you from parking cars in your living room. no need to call it a garage.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:19 PM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

exactly...the garage will take up 1.1% of lot. Something about your avatar feels appropriate here.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks! It stands right on top of the tile. Believe it or not, it does not need to be bolted to the ground. There are caster wheels that can be latched on that allow you to move the lift around if needed.
sorry for delay, thanks for the info!

I've been doing my fair share of research on lifts for my new house, so I'm familiar that many of the four posts can be run safely without being anchored.

However, I was suspicious that the load being focused on the tile could be an issue, good to hear that it's not! How have the tile been holding up? Any issues with fluids? E.g. does it get overly slick or stain from them?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sqweak
sorry for delay, thanks for the info! I've been doing my fair share of research on lifts for my new house, so I'm familiar that many of the four posts can be run safely without being anchored. However, I was suspicious that the load being focused on the tile could be an issue, good to hear that it's not! How have the tile been holding up? Any issues with fluids? E.g. does it get overly slick or stain from them?
Tiles are just as strong as they are supposed to be. I've dropped a tire iron on the ground. Nothing. I had a mishap with the rolling jack, which caused it to drop onto the tile. This is a 350lb jack. It made a small chip in the tile about 1cm big. You can only see it if you look closely. No cracks. I have zero concerns about the durability of the the tile.

Water from the a/c condenser doesn't stain. Oil dropped on the ground for several days doesn't stain. Wipes off like nothing.

PEI grade 5 porcelain tile.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:23 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

awesome to hear, you've convinced me, i'm shopping for tile for the new house. thanks for all the info!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:41 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 126 Posts

Joe - how wide is this garage?

I am looking at a 21ft wide by 23 ft wide by 10 ft tall garage and trying to decide whether to center mount the 4 post or put it on one side. Gets a little tight on the side of the lift next to wall if not centered. Want to be able to comfortably work on the side of car (swap suspension etc)

Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2015, 06:44 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 609 Posts

i like the garage , but i am curious about your opinion on the brz. I owned one for 6 months, which is not unusual for me, it felt underpowered but otherwise great car. I think engine is over rated at 200 hp and 135 tq.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:09 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I could do that on my lot (mostly slope) that's already maxed out
Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe you have a most excellent garage. The tile reminds me of my local dealer's service bays. Do you have any heat/AC ?

Enjoy

Rob
Old 11-25-2015, 02:39 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Woah, talk about reviving a dead thread. Sorry, I rarely check in this area anymore.

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Joe - how wide is this garage?

I am looking at a 21ft wide by 23 ft wide by 10 ft tall garage and trying to decide whether to center mount the 4 post or put it on one side. Gets a little tight on the side of the lift next to wall if not centered. Want to be able to comfortably work on the side of car (swap suspension etc)

Thoughts?
width of the garage isn't important in this case. You want to know how much space there is on the side garage slot between the opening of the garage and the wall. Best thing to do is find out the exact measurements of the lift you are are looking at and mark it out to see if there is enough room. I have 17" between the wall and the opening of the garage. That just barely gives me enough space to work on the side of the car.

Originally Posted by pitt911
i like the garage , but i am curious about your opinion on the brz. I owned one for 6 months, which is not unusual for me, it felt underpowered but otherwise great car. I think engine is over rated at 200 hp and 135 tq.
Fun car, but it didn't hold up to track use. Literally would fall apart. I had to retire it from track use and only used it as a DD. Then I sold it after I ended up with an electric car for a commuter.

Originally Posted by Rob VN
Joe you have a most excellent garage. The tile reminds me of my local dealer's service bays. Do you have any heat/AC ?

Enjoy

Rob
Thanks. No heat/AC. Haven't needed it yet here in Cali.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 691 Posts

And I'm glad it's back from the dead!
How thick is your concrete to support the lift? And, are you still happy with the Atlas?
Thanks.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Keadog
And I'm glad it's back from the dead!
How thick is your concrete to support the lift? And, are you still happy with the Atlas?
Thanks.
This type of lift doesn't require drilling into the concrete. It's actually designed to be mobile with caster rollers.

I'm not thrilled with my atlas model. It makes a lot of noise and the rolling jacks are not low profile. I have the 408-SL, but my buddy has the pro8000 which is quiet and has low profile jacks. I would go with the pro8000 next time.

Quick Reply: New garage for a spyder