Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Paint-to-Sample Approved Colors List from PAG (as of July, 2014)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:59 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Eduardo,

you're the expert on all things PTS and Exclusive!
I still think you are on Porsche's payroll in some capacity.
If not, you should be!

as far as Donovan's trials and tribulations go, there were suggestions made (check back in those old threads) that situations such as Donovan's could be avoided by simply publishing a "list" of pre-approved PTS colors

and furthermore, you are correct when you say that "Speed Yellow" should have been a no-brainer, as it wasn't really a special or PTS color. That was my exact line of reasoning why they should paint my Spyder in Speed Yellow.

I'm aware that you think I "wasted" a PTS slot on an ordinary color. It's unfortunate that I even had to ask or pay extra to get a car painted in one of four "standard colors" that at the time I ordered had been available on all Porsche sports cars for many consecutive years.

Pues, I'm happy because I have a pair of Speed Yellow twins in my garage.

Ahora, I'll venture forward with a different PTS color because Speed Yellow isn't on the approved list. Signal Yellow is at the top of my list, ever since I saw the picture of the GT3RS (think it was in the UK). If the approved "list" was available at the time I ordered my Spyder, it's highly likely I would have a Signal Yellow Spyder in my garage.

I still like the "blues" and even though it may be "overdone" I really like Riviera Blue. decisions, decisions

cheers,
Steve

Originally Posted by Z356
Steve, maybe you should explain why you think Donovan is the reason we have that list now. I, for one, do not understand your meaning.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default On the payroll...

Originally Posted by JSF101
Eduardo, you're the expert on all things PTS and Exclusive! I still think you are on Porsche's payroll in some capacity.
If not, you should be!
You couldn't be further from the truth! I am a thorn on the side of Porsche! They don't like dissent! They don't like criticism! I am not on their 'VIP' list. I am not on their 'test drive' or 'function invite' list. If I get run over by a tram tomorrow, they would not send flowers or condolences!

as far as Donovan's trials and tribulations go, there were suggestions made (check back in those old threads) that situations such as Donovan's could be avoided by simply publishing a "list" of pre-approved PTS colors
That is correct. The trauma of Donavan & all those others for those two short weeks when that Boxster Spyder PTS window was 'OPEN' could have been easily avoided if the PTS list was known & widely published by PCNA. I personally asked, in fact I pleaded with them, to let me order a PTS Boxster Spyder for six months prior to their 'surprise' opening the PTS window for this model. At each instance, I & my dealer were told 'PTS is not going to happen on the Spyder. Forget about it'. That, friends, is the symptom of a dysfunctional marketing organization!

But I will go further than that. It's pretty certain that a PTS list probably did not exist. And if it did, for sure it was not known to customers or dealers back in 2011 when we were ordering Spyders! But what about three years later? The saddest part of this story is that the new PTS list is not effectively distributed TODAY by PCNA and their 'Porsche Exclusive' representatives! Yes, we know it exists and have seen it around since at least June of 2012. But getting a hold of it & its updates is like pulling hen's teeth! We have to ask, cajole, beg, plead...please Mister/Miss, can you send me the list! It's ridiculous, it's insulting, it's unprofessional!

So Steve, if you still truly think these PTS list are as a result of a pro-active effort by PCNA or PAG to market effectively Paint-to-Sample to their customers & Porsche dealers so as to avoid the mental trauma of otherwise dealing 'blind' with their PTS program, I got this beautiful bridge (see below) to sell you...and for a good price too!

...and furthermore, you are correct when you say that "Speed Yellow" should have been a no-brainer, as it wasn't really a special or PTS color. That was my exact line of reasoning why they should paint my Spyder in Speed Yellow.

I'm aware that you think I "wasted" a PTS slot on an ordinary color. It's unfortunate that I even had to ask or pay extra to get a car painted in one of four "standard colors" that at the time I ordered had been available on all Porsche sports cars for many consecutive years. Pues, I'm happy because I have a pair of Speed Yellow twins in my garage.
First of all, I am impressed with your Castilian. You are getting pretty good at it. Second, you are one lucky dude having a 'Speed Yellow' PTS Boxster Spyder. How does the title of 'owner of the only such colored car in existence' sound to you? So you are in pretty rarefied air with that vehicle, my friend!

Ahora, I'll venture forward with a different PTS color because Speed Yellow isn't on the approved list. Signal Yellow is at the top of my list, ever since I saw the picture of the GT3RS (think it was in the UK). If the approved "list" was available at the time I ordered my Spyder, it's highly likely I would have a Signal Yellow Spyder in my garage. I still like the "blues" and even though it may be "overdone" I really like Riviera Blue. decisions, decisions
I have to say this is a special moment in history. I thought I was pretty lucky owning a rare 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa because they only built about 15/16 of all MY1970 production (15K, 911's & some 914-6's) in that color - one of thirty colors offered that model year! But today we have a hell of a lot more than thirty hues to choose from! In fact, there has never in history been a better selection of colors offered by Porsche as now...via standard colors or PTS! And that is something that I, as a long-time & loyal customer of Porsche, must celebrate! And I am grateful to have that choice...and I try to let others know of the opportunity that PTS represents for custom ordering a unique, bespoke vehicle...regardless the half-*** marketing efforts of 'Porsche Exclusive' at their end!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2014, 10:21 AM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

^

that bridge would make a perfect "marketing" picture with a string of PTS Porsches all driving across at the same time!!!

greens, reds, blues, yellows
all the colors of the rainbow
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default The Few and the Proud...

that bridge would make a perfect "marketing" picture with a string of PTS Porsches all driving across at the same time!!!
greens, reds, blues, yellows - all the colors of the rainbow
Great suggestion! Ferrari tried it...but it didn't work because most of their owners choose the same old 'Rosso Corsa' color for their cars! Certainly, the San Francisco city fathers would like the theme you suggested: "greens, reds, blues, yellows - all the colors of the rainbow". In San Francisco, anything associated with a 'rainbow' has deeply-rooted political meaning & would be a big hit!

You have some good marketing ideas, Steve! Ever thought of working as a product planner for PCNA or.... Burger King?

Or are you already in their payroll?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like the approval process makes it more like " extra charge colors " rather than " paint to sample ". I'd like to see more variety on the color charts, a lot of manufacturers are stuck in black / white / grey / silver / red...

Donn
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,641 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by jalbrah
What PTS color is this?
It's Porsche's Dolphin Grey
Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default ModeGrau...

Originally Posted by navanoD
It's Porsche's Dolphin Grey
Since 'Dolphin Grey' doesn't yet appear on the approved PTS list, that is probably not it! But could it be just in 'Primer' coat & the factory forgot to apply the final color coat? If that is the case, I hope they didn't charge Walter's the full $5,500 PTS option price!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blue44
seems like the approval process makes it more like " extra charge colors " rather than " paint to sample ".
No, take a closer look at the list: 'Glasurit Colour SB272.20', 'pantone 296C', etc. It can match the gloss lipstick of your wife...if you wanted it to! Just send Porsche a sample of that lipstick's color painted on a piece of metal, plus an order for an expensive Porsche model (e.g. 991, 981) which includes the $5,500 option! Then just sit back and hope its approved! Voila. It's truly Paint-to-Sample...if you have the 'cojones' to take it there!

However, most of us are satisfied with getting a vintage, heritage color from Porsche's past, like the elegant 'ModeGrau' or the captivating 'Viper Green', to make our 991/981 feel pretty unique & bespoke! But it took someone with a vision & a desire...plus an actual custom order...to get each & everyone of these 'colors' on the approved PTS list! That is how this PTS list has been put together...and that is how this PTS list is growing in possibilities with each passing month!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z356
Since 'Dolphin Grey' doesn't yet appear on the approved PTS list, that is probably not it! But could it be just in 'Primer' coat & the factory forgot to apply the final color coat? If that is the case, I hope they didn't charge Walter's the full $5,500 PTS option price!

LOL… I like the Primer look. It is in fact Dolphin Grey... Walter's is where I bought my Riviera Blue Spyder from and they have a history of ordering some great PTS cars. I specifically asked about this Boxster color.

Here is another great "Primer" PTS Boxster that Porsche AG sent me when I was going through my PTS Spyder headache.

I'm considering ordering a PTS Cayman GTS when it comes available next year. I would do Dolphin Grey
Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

LOL… I like the Primer look. It is in fact Dolphin Grey... Walter's is where I bought my Riviera Blue Spyder from and they have a history of ordering some great PTS cars. I specifically asked about this Boxster color.

Here is another great "Primer" PTS Boxster that Porsche AG sent me when I was going through my PTS Spyder headache.

I'm considering ordering a PTS Cayman GTS when it comes available next year. I would do Dolphin Grey
Donovan: This is interesting info that Walter's current PTS Boxster is painted in PTS 'Dolphin Grey'. Under what color & code does it appear on the current PTS approved list?

The color on your photograph, as you will recall, is 'pfeilgrauperlmetallic / Arrow Grey Pearl Metallic' and has a color code Y66. Unlike Modegrau, Stone Grey, Silver Stone and other famous factory 'grey' hues, this one is 'Metallic'! I have been trying to get folks here at Rennlist interested in this color for their PTS selection. But no luck so far. I think it looks terrific!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

P.S. The orange behind it is 'Pastel Orange'. This was the only 'Orange' color the factory started offering in MY2011 as an alternative to the 'RS Orange' of the '08/'07 gt3 RS. The latter was discontinued due to fade or warranty issues (we assume). MY2010 was the last year 'RS Orange' was able to be ordered PTS at PAG.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

I just dropped a message to Scott McCloud at Walters… he's my sales guy I worked with.
I'll let you know what he says about the paint code.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

I just dropped a message to Scott McCloud at Walters… he's my sales guy I worked with. I'll let you know what he says about the paint code.
'Dolphin Grey' was a 'special color' for the 356C back in MY1964 and MY1965. Before that we had a slightly darker 'Heron Grey' in the 356B from MY1960 to MY1963. And from MY1957 to My1959, the greenish hue 'Stone Grey' was in vogue! As you might remember, Walter's did a PTS Cayman R in 'Stone Grey' back in MY2012. But when you put the current PTS Boxster next to a photo of the 'Stone Grey' Cayman R (see below), they don't look to be the same color! But then again, consider the lousy photography which makes it hard to know. That is why I thought the color might be 'ModeGrau' or 'Fashion Grey'. So if I was to guess the color of Walter's current PTS 981 Boxster, I would say it's either 'Stone Grey', code Z67....or 'Fashion Grey', code '61H'. Let's see what they tell the actual PTS color is!

Since you know them Donovan, why don't you ask Scott why Walter's does not hire a better photographer to take photos of their cars? They are doing wasting a great opportunity by doing such sub-standard job in that department! I am also interested in finding out the colors of their other two PTS 991's currently in their inventory. Both are beautiful PTS 'blues'. Looks like 'Etna' and 'Gulf Blue', but who knows with their damn photography. They should just list the color & code in their website so that all prospective buyers know what they have. It's an idiotically opaque marketing system.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

1) Current Boxster 981 in PTS
2 & 3) Past 'Stone Grey' PTS Cayman R

Attached Images    
Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 620 Posts

It would be nice if the PTS list had pics of each color next to at least the approved colors. There are several approved colors on the list that I couldn't google any photos of. Even if the pics weren't perfect, I think it would generally be better than nothing.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 PM
jalbrah
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

So it looks like the official color of Walter's boxster is Fashion Grey.
Here is what it looks like on another 981 S.
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PTS Team

Hello R-List Crew. I have been reading all of the exciting information in regards to the PTS cars. Yes the Boxster S is indeed FASHION GREY. We have done a couple of cars in that color and have faired well. I am not sure why we have the Boxster S in our inventory to date. Donavan bought one of the most beautiful Spyders from us. And yes the pictures have been a challenge but will be resolved soon!

Quick Reply: Latest Paint-to-Sample Approved Colors List from PAG (as of July, 2014)