Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First year that base Cayman got DFI engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First year that base Cayman got DFI engine?

What year did the base Cayman get a DFI engine? I know the S got it in 2009, but at that time the base Cayman was apparently MPFI. When was the switch made?
Old 06-14-2014, 04:48 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

The base went to DFI with the new model 981 this year. Displacement went down from 2.9 to 2.7l, but DFI compensated to keep hp about the same.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Zedcat! It's not always easy to find year-by-year changes for older models. I was hoping they'd snuck a DFI modification in later Gen II base 987s.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:14 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

FWIW, the 2.9 is a great little engine. It is what all of the ST class Caymans in Continental Tire SC are running.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:03 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Agree. I had an '09 2.9L 6speed with SC (and PASM). Put it in Sport, keep the revs up, great fun car.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The 2.9 has been less problem stricken than the DFI variants of the 9a1 so far.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

What sort of problems have the DFI 9A1s been seeing?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree that the 2.9 is a great engine and while not DFI it does have the improved oiling system of the DFI engines
Old 06-20-2014, 02:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The 2.9 has been less problem stricken than the DFI variants of the 9a1 so far.
Jake I was reading some of the information you posted on one of the other threads regarding DFI engines and the comment about having more issues than the IMS based engines. What's odd is that you don't read much about people having problems with these engines on forums thus far. The 09's are now old enough that if there were consistent issues they would be at well known by now but I know I'm not seeing it. Are you implying they are all ticking time bombs and or can you put some actual numbers behind the number of failures your seeing and for what years?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Its not odd at all... For the first 5-6 years the M96 issues didn't pop up on forums either. Just like the M96 shops outside of ours are not learning about these engines, so when they have an issue they go back to a dealer. Remember, most cars are at worst two years out of warranty at this point, and anything that happens under warranty won't be divulged.

And, of course, forums aren't everything. I can't think of a customer that we have had in the past 2-3 years thats a forum poster.

We have yet to see massive trends with the failures, though I have been documenting them since 2010 here. A huge part of our experience with these engines came from building them info race engines, and buying brand new cars (like Cayman X) and taking the engine apart for no reason.

Once some things start to surface I'll begin to share what we've learned, till then, let's just leave that sleeping bear alone- he doesn't need to get poked.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:44 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Also, the barber called, and he says you need a haircut.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Its not odd at all...

And, of course, forums aren't everything. I can't think of a customer that we have had in the past 2-3 years thats a forum poster.
Jake, are you saying that you don't remember any of your customers in the past 2-3 years being forum posters? Or are you talking strictly about DFI engine customers?

Because I know of at least 2 posters on another forum who are your recent customers (M97). Now that I think about it, there's at least 1 poster on yet another forum who had a 3.4 L DFI engine and was your customer (this engine had not failed but was getting a displacement increase). I'm slightly confused.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:27 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

The 9A1 has been around for a while now in 987.2, 997.2, 991 and 981. It has been raced extensively in basically stock trim. It is the basis of all flat 6 engines for production Porsches.

Sorry, but it sounds like someone is trying to drum up business by alarming people. If there is a serious problem, we would have heard something by now.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

It has been raced extensively in basically stock trim.
The biggest issues that we have found are not catalyzed by track activities, in fact, going to the track helps to avoid the issues. Low speed applications is where the issues have stemmed from.

It is the basis of all flat 6 engines for production Porsches.
That began only this year, until then the GT3 and Turbo were still based on the prior designs.

Sorry, but it sounds like someone is trying to drum up business by alarming people. If there is a serious problem, we would have heard something by now.
No, because of where the cars are going when they need to be repaired. This year I have been in front of several hundred Porsche Technicians from Florida to Vancouver Canada and I have yet to have met one of them who has been inside the cam covers of an engine. They are sending the engines back to dealers.

Just like the M96, shops are afraid of these engines at the present, it'll take 3-5 more years before they are willing to start taking risks by going inside. The tools to work with the engine are super expensive, which doesn't help.

My 9a1 engine classes has been a sell out thus far.

Sorry, but it sounds like someone is trying to drum up business by alarming people.
I am trying to share what we have learned for working with these engines from the time they were released. That includes pulling engines apart with as little as 11 miles on them and dealing with failures that occurred as early as 4,165 miles. Here's that damage, the engine never went to the track, and never even had its first oil change. It had zero over revs in the ECU and was down 25HP before we pulled it apart. It was an elective procedure, a 3.4 to 4.2L build, it just happened to be broken when we tore into it.

If there is a serious problem, we would have heard something by now.
No, because the issues at this point have been variable in their conditions and not repeatable, at least to this point.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

It has been raced extensively in basically stock trim.
The biggest issues that we have found are not catalyzed by track activities, in fact, going to the track helps to avoid the issues. Low speed applications is where the issues have stemmed from.

It is the basis of all flat 6 engines for production Porsches.
That began only this year, until then the GT3 and Turbo were still based on the prior designs.

No, because of where the cars are going when they need to be repaired. This year I have been in front of several hundred Porsche Technicians from Florida to Vancouver Canada and I have yet to have met one of them who has been inside the cam covers of an engine. They are sending the engines back to dealers.

Just like the M96, shops are afraid of these engines at the present, it'll take 3-5 more years before they are willing to start taking risks by going inside. The tools to work with the engine are super expensive, which doesn't help.

My 9a1 engine classes has been a sell out thus far.

Sorry, but it sounds like someone is trying to drum up business by alarming people.
I am trying to share what we have learned for working with these engines from the time they were released. That includes pulling engines apart with as little as 11 miles on them and dealing with failures that occurred as early as 4,165 miles. Here's that damage, the engine never went to the track, and never even had its first oil change. It had zero over revs in the ECU and was down 25HP before we pulled it apart. It was an elective procedure, a 3.4 to 4.2L build, it just happened to be broken when we tore into it.

If there is a serious problem, we would have heard something by now.
No, because the issues at this point have been variable in their conditions and not repeatable, at least to this point.

Quick Reply: First year that base Cayman got DFI engine?