Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Porsche, and this forum!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I've driven the x73... It's perfect, even for DD!
Glad to hear it!!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
Make sure it has Xenons and heated seats. I don't know where you are located, but if you are going to drive it in cool weather, you will quickly appreciate a heated steering wheel.
Yeah those come with the premium pkg. plus so am good to go there . Unfortunately the Sport Design steering wheel isn't available in a heated version.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Sorry for the multiple reply posts but I'm not having any luck getting the multi quote function to work for some reason. Maybe it's user error but on other forums I've not have any trouble.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:37 PM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I've driven the x73... It's perfect, even for DD!
How much did you drive the X73 car (981?), just a short test drive or much more to where you could get a good feel for it ? I am considering X73 for a possible new 981 build, but I had an 08 Boxster with PASM and found it to be too harsh on the street. PASM for me was track use only and always turned off on the street. I feel like X73 would give better track performance than PASM, but the downside is it can't be turned off..
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by perretar
How much did you drive the X73 car (981?), just a short test drive or much more to where you could get a good feel for it ? I am considering X73 for a possible new 981 build, but I had an 08 Boxster with PASM and found it to be too harsh on the street. PASM for me was track use only and always turned off on the street. I feel like X73 would give better track performance than PASM, but the downside is it can't be turned off..
I did not drive an x73 at all so I can't tell you. They didn't have many 981s in stock at the time. I did drive a used 2013 BS that had PASM. From my online research, and according to the SA, it is supposedly very similar in ride quality to the PASM at its firmest, yet with even more capable handling and less body roll due to the larger sway bars.

I've had several cars with aftermarket or very firm factory suspensions so what some might call a harsh or overly stiff ride doesn't bother us really, whereas body roll does, so I felt comfortable choosing the x73. I also like the simplicity, potential greater reliability and lessened service costs of a non-adaptive suspension. If you find PASM at its firmest to be too harsh then I wouldn't go with x73.

My understanding of the beauty of PASM is that it is always on. When you drive aggressively, it responds and "stiffens" and when you drive normally, it softens. The "Sport" button just selects a "stiffer" starting point. Members more expert than I can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Interestingly, when I was looking for a car configured like I wanted, I rarely found any with PASM or sport suspensions on dealers lots. Now I didn't look at every car because of color preference, but the vast, vast majority of available cars within 500 miles of me had base suspension. I would think most of the dealers would put PASM on because it could suit a variety of tastes and is another profitable option, but maybe they want to keep the price point lower so it maintains the gap between the 991 offerings.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Sorry, just realized you weren't asking me. Love your avatar, by the way.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

I didn't drive it for that long. And not for a commute. More like 20 min. In the twisties. The roads are not very smooth though, and I have driven these roads in many cars with various set ups. Seemed very civil to me... But I don't mind tight suspension. That car felt very smooth and live able.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default PASM

PASM for me was track use only and always turned off on the street. I feel like X73 would give better track performance than PASM, but the downside is it can't be turned off..
As Speeddeacon correctly responded, PASM doesn't turn on or off. You are either in the 'Sport' setting or in the 'Normal' setting. This is how Porsche explains it:

"Optional PASM, the electronic damping control system, suits the Boxster models down to the ground. PASM actively and continuously regulates the damping force for each wheel according to the road conditions and driving style. In addition, the suspension is lowered by 10 mm.

The driver can select between two different modes: ‘Normal’ which is a blend of performance and comfort, and ‘Sport’ where the setup is much firmer. Depending on the mode selected, therefore, PASM can be both sportier and more comfortable than the standard chassis. The PASM control unit evaluates the driving conditions and modifies the damping force on each of the wheels in accordance with the selected mode.

Sensors record the body movements that accompany powerful acceleration, braking or uneven road surfaces. This enables intelligent adaptation of damper stiffness for the selected mode, optimizing contact between each individual tire and the road and reducing pitch.

In ‘Sport’ mode, the suspension is set to a harder damper rating. On uneven roads, PASM immediately switches to a softer rating, thereby improving contact between the tires and the road. When the road surface improves, PASM automatically reverts to the original, harder rating. If ‘Normal’ mode is selected and the driver’s style becomes more assertive, PASM switches to a harder rating to increase driving stability and road safety.

The results are tangible: increased driving stability, enhanced driving pleasure and improved performance."

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/bo...nagement-pasm/

I am personally intrigued by the X73 Sport Suspension. I have not yet driven it on the 981. However, I had a version of it on my MY2012 Boxster Spyder and was extremely pleased with it. Over at Planet 9, they have had several extensive discussions on the subject too, including this one:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/741...n-vs-pasm.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speeddeacon
Sorry, just realized you weren't asking me. Love your avatar, by the way.
Your understanding of PASM is a little different than mine. PASM cars have a separate button to toggle it on/off, it isn't just controlled by the Sport mode. That's what my '08 RS-60 had anyway.. PASM would turn on if you selected the Sport mode, but then you could turn it off with the PASM button and still be in Sport mode. Note sure if it is still that way with current PASM cars.
My current avatar is the RS-60 I traded in on a new white Cayman. Waiting for a personalized plate to arrive before I update the avatar. It was a sharp color combo but I actually prefer the White/Red you have on order. I would still be driving the RS-60 if it had a manual transmission, or the PDK. '08 was the only model year for the RS-60's but also the last year of the Tiptronics. The Tiptronic was the only thing I had reservations about with that purchase, but I enjoyed the car for a year and half in spite of it.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Your understanding of PASM is a little different than mine. PASM cars have a separate button to toggle it on/off, it isn't just controlled by the Sport mode. That's what my '08 RS-60 had anyway.. PASM would turn on if you selected the Sport mode, but then you could turn it off with the PASM button and still be in Sport mode. Note sure if it is still that way with current PASM cars.
My current avatar is the RS-60 I traded in on a new white Cayman. Waiting for a personalized plate to arrive before I update the avatar. It was a sharp color combo but I actually prefer the White/Red you have on order. I would still be driving the RS-60 if it had a manual transmission, or the PDK. '08 was the only model year for the RS-60's but also the last year of the Tiptronics. The Tiptronic was the only thing I had reservations about with that purchase, but I enjoyed the car for a year and half in spite of it.
Yeah that would have been one sweeeeet ride with a manual. Still is absolutely gorgeous.

By the way, when you say PASM can be turned off, are you certain you aren't referring to PSM (Porshce Stability Management) as opposed to PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management)? Just curious because I am thinking PASM is either normal or sport, as Eduardo described above, but again, I'm a Porsche neophyte whose car hasn't even been built yet and am trying to learn all I can.

Last edited by Speeddeacon; 04-10-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your understanding of PASM is a little different than mine. PASM cars have a separate button to toggle it on/off, it isn't just controlled by the Sport mode. That's what my '08 RS-60 had anyway.. PASM would turn on if you selected the Sport mode, but then you could turn it off with the PASM button and still be in Sport mode. Note sure if it is still that way with current PASM cars..
I also traded from an RS60 to a 2014 Cayman S. Yes, the current generation of PASM still has a separate button, so its not just controlled by the sport/sport+ button. Its a far better, far more advanced system than what was in our 08 RS60s. Eduardo's description above is the best description I've seen of PASM so far. I've seen discussions going on at other forums, and many are just inaccurate. Congrats on your CS, looking forward to seeing the new avatar once you get your new plate.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speeddeacon
Yeah that would have been one sweeeeet ride with a manual. Still is absolutely gorgeous.

By the way, when you say PASM can be turned off, are you certain you aren't referring to PSM (Porshce Stability Management) as opposed to PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management)? Just curious because I am thinking PASM is either normal or sport, as Eduardo described above, but again, I'm a Porsche neophyte whose car hasn't even been built yet and am trying to learn all I can.
Yes, PASM button has a shock absorber icon. When you select Sport mode, you would get both "Sport" and "PASM" lights in the main instrument. And then if you pushed PASM button, its light would go out and Sport would stay on.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Yes, PASM button has a shock absorber icon. When you select Sport mode, you would get both "Sport" and "PASM" lights in the main instrument. And then if you pushed PASM button, its light would go out and Sport would stay on.
Thanks for the clarification!

Quick Reply: New to Porsche, and this forum!