Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by blue44
great video Joe ! Donn p.s. hans and arm restraints next...
Figure out if that stable energies harness bar fits on our cars!

Originally Posted by hf1
Good driving. Those nittos have at least three days left on them, probably more. With even wear (good alignment) you can drive them completely bald for couple of days before cording.
Thanks! Would be great to get 3 more days out of them. Will follow up with more pics after the next track day
Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks! Would be great to get 3 more days out of them. Will follow up with more pics after the next track day
It may be the angle of the pics but your right tires (especially the front one) are worn more than the left. I don't know if the other tracks were also counter-clockwise but consider switching your wheels from one side to the other after each track day. Once nittos get worn, I've also seen people flipping them on the wheels (inside/outside) to extract few more days out of them.

You are fast. The fact that you are eating out the outsides of your nittos while still having decent neg camber also confirms your high pace. You're playing with your life (literally) if you're driving HANS-less. Not a joke.

Why do you need a harness bar in a 987 Boxster?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the stainless steel version of the Remus, not titanium.

You should keep in mind that the sound in the video is NOT what the car sounds like in real life. It's actually kind of underwhelming in real life, which is why it passes the 90dB limit. The mic was placed right behind the license plate, so it makes the car sound much meaner.

About 2 years ago, we used a decibel meter to measure the exhaust noises from different systems. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I remember:
Stock: 88dB
Oem sport exhaust: 88dB. Yes. The same peak.
Remus: 92dB
Tubi: 94dB

My thoughts on the Remus are that it sounds more aggressive in the low range without drone, but at the peak it is about the same as stock. Tubi really does sound the best, IMO, and still has no drone. But, it won't pass sound at Laguna.
How is the weight of the Remus stainless steel vs the oEM Porsche sport exhaust.
If you want great sound (most likely will knot get by at Leguna) is my 3.8 GT3 with the Sharkwerks center by pass
Old 03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
It may be the angle of the pics but your right tires (especially the front one) are worn more than the left. I don't know if the other tracks were also counter-clockwise but consider switching your wheels from one side to the other after each track day. Once nittos get worn, I've also seen people flipping them on the wheels (inside/outside) to extract few more days out of them.
Your eyes do not deceive you. The right tires are indeed more worn than the left. Laguna Seca and Thunderhill are run counterclockwise, and sonoma is clockwise. I always put the more worn tires on the left side when running counter clock wise tracks. Will definitely be swapping over to the other side for my next track day.

You are fast. The fact that you are eating out the outsides of your nittos while still having decent neg camber also confirms your high pace.
Thanks! I guess all that time spent studying data logs, watching youtube videos, and stealing Ben's secrets helped.

You're playing with your life (literally) if you're driving HANS-less. Not a joke.

Why do you need a harness bar in a 987 Boxster?
How do you guys know I'm not using a HANS from the video?
Seriously, though, I appreciate your concern. This brings up an issue that I have been struggling with for a while. The problem is the mounting points for the shoulder straps on the 987 boxster. They are too high. For them to be properly mounted, it should be at my shoulder level or a touch lower. They actually sit higher than my shoulder currently. There was a thread a while back that discussed this. Redyps did some research on this and discovered that a HANS won't work properly if the shoulder straps are mounted too high. For this reason, I haven't pulled the trigger on getting one. I was planning on getting one for the 991GT3 when it comes in, but the lack of sport buckets and a clubsport cage for the US version will only delay my ability to use a HANS in that car as well. This is why I am interested in seeing if something can be done to fit the stable energies harness bar in the spyder.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by f4 plt
How is the weight of the Remus stainless steel vs the oEM Porsche sport exhaust.
If you want great sound (most likely will knot get by at Leguna) is my 3.8 GT3 with the Sharkwerks center by pass
I can't quote you exact numbers, but the stainless steel version is definitely lighter than the OEM non sport exhaust (which is lighter than the sport).

No doubt your GT3 sounds worlds better. I'm tempted to do the bypass on the 991GT3 as well. It will take some custom work to get the car to pass 90dB... what a travesty MRLS is becoming...
Old 03-24-2014, 01:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Couldn't tell from the video. Someone else in the thread mentioned it.

Seriously, though, I appreciate your concern. This brings up an issue that I have been struggling with for a while. The problem is the mounting points for the shoulder straps on the 987 boxster. They are too high. For them to be properly mounted, it should be at my shoulder level or a touch lower. They actually sit higher than my shoulder currently. There was a thread a while back that discussed this. Redyps did some research on this and discovered that a HANS won't work properly if the shoulder straps are mounted too high. For this reason, I haven't pulled the trigger on getting one. I was planning on getting one for the 991GT3 when it comes in, but the lack of sport buckets and a clubsport cage for the US version will only delay my ability to use a HANS in that car as well. This is why I am interested in seeing if something can be done to fit the stable energies harness bar in the spyder.
I wasn't aware of this. Someone else mentioned it in another thread a while ago and didn't get back to me after asking about it. I tracked my (now gone) 987S Boxster for six years using Euro 6GT3 seats, HANS, and harnesses strapped to the OEM bar behind the seats. Have seen many others do it, too. Race shop owners/mechanics I know never mentioned anything about it, either. My HANS felt pretty solid once harnesses were pulled tight. Do you have links for these discussions?

I believe all 986/987 race Boxsters (Spec, and others) use the OEM bar for harnesses -- or am I wrong?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The Simpson Hybrid Pro (or Hybrid Sport, R3, etc.) should be fine using the OEM bar. Not as dependent on harness alignment as the HANS. And, doesn't need a halo seat for side impact protection.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

older post...

Donn
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Stable Energies
Former Vendor

This is correct about the shoulder belt height in the boxster. The cross bar for the stock roll hoops in the boxster is too high for the majority of people, probably for anyone that would actually fit in the car!

We recently sent out one of our bolt on harness bars to a customer with a Boxster Spyder and it would not fit properly due to the hump in the upper portion of the firewall that protrudes into the interior. Regular 986 and 987 boxsters don't have this, and installation in those cars is a breeze, as long as the car does not have the premium sound system, which can be removed very easily.

We are currently trying to figure out what would need to be done to get the bar to fit, or if the bar can be modified to fit.

If their are any Boxster Spyder owners that are local to us and wouldn't mind bring their car to our shop for a little R&D, please contact us.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hf1
I wasn't aware of this. Someone else mentioned it in another thread a while ago and didn't get back to me after asking about it. I tracked my (now gone) 987S Boxster for six years using Euro 6GT3 seats, HANS, and harnesses strapped to the OEM bar behind the seats. Have seen many others do it, too. Race shop owners/mechanics I know never mentioned anything about it, either. My HANS felt pretty solid once harnesses were pulled tight. Do you have links for these discussions?

I believe all 986/987 race Boxsters (Spec, and others) use the OEM bar for harnesses -- or am I wrong?
I don't know on the 986, but it's definitely an issue with the 987. I'm only 5'8", so the mounting points are too high for me. If you are taller, then it wont be an issue, HOWEVER, if you are taller, your head likely protrudes above the roll hoops with a helmet on (which isn't good either).

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The Simpson Hybrid Pro (or Hybrid Sport, R3, etc.) should be fine using the OEM bar. Not as dependent on harness alignment as the HANS. And, doesn't need a halo seat for side impact protection.
Thanks, Bill. I'll look into this. It might be the device that Ben is using, but I know he never wears it anymore because it's too uncomfortable.
I'll pay a visit to wine country motorsports in the new few weeks and try things out.

Originally Posted by Stable Energies
This is correct about the shoulder belt height in the boxster. The cross bar for the stock roll hoops in the boxster is too high for the majority of people, probably for anyone that would actually fit in the car!

We recently sent out one of our bolt on harness bars to a customer with a Boxster Spyder and it would not fit properly due to the hump in the upper portion of the firewall that protrudes into the interior. Regular 986 and 987 boxsters don't have this, and installation in those cars is a breeze, as long as the car does not have the premium sound system, which can be removed very easily.

We are currently trying to figure out what would need to be done to get the bar to fit, or if the bar can be modified to fit.

If their are any Boxster Spyder owners that are local to us and wouldn't mind bring their car to our shop for a little R&D, please contact us.
Thanks for your willingness to do some R&D on this. You definitely have some buyers here if a solution can be found for the spyder.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Found the post from redyps that talks about the problems with using a Hans with the stock roll bar:

https://rennlist.com/forums/9401125-post36.html

Originally Posted by redyps
I spoke at length with the guys at Schroth about shoulder belt positions and HANS. They stated that if the shoulder belts were NOT mounted between 0-20 degrees below the shoulders (with a clear pass through the seat backs) or had a guide bar below the shoulders with a floor mount point a HANS would actually exacerbate the problem. They put over 3 months into engineering of any potential change e.g., a harness cross bar (which requires a 6,000 lb load) so I have confidence that what products they offer and what advice they provide is well founded...
Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

hoping to look into the bulkhead this weekend, then maybe I can get over there...

Donn
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Found the post from redyps that talks about the problems with using a Hans with the stock roll bar:

https://rennlist.com/forums/9401125-post36.html
Thanks. I vaguely remember that the harness points may have been only slightly above my shoulders but my body and the HANS were held rock solid by the shoulder straps. No problems with the helmet being under the roll hoops either. Must have been a sweet-spot. But from your other video I can see how the harness points are way to high for you -- hard to even keep your body strapped in, much less a hans.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blue44
hoping to look into the bulkhead this weekend, then maybe I can get over there...

Donn

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks. I vaguely remember that the harness points may have been only slightly above my shoulders but my body and the HANS were held rock solid by the shoulder straps. No problems with the helmet being under the roll hoops either. Must have been a sweet-spot. But from your other video I can see how the harness points are way to high for you -- hard to even keep your body strapped in, much less a hans.
Yeah, the problem is I can strap myself in tight, but it will start to loosen with each lap...
Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, the problem is I can strap myself in tight, but it will start to loosen with each lap...
Interesting. I'm about 5'9" (maybe little less) and the harnesses have been working very well for me with stock roll bars. In fact, I strap myself in so tight that it makes me scoot down slightly. So, for me, the harnesses work with the stock roll bars.

I can't speak to HANS compatibility since I haven't used one with stock 987 roll bars and harnesses. Instead, I wear a thick firm foam neck collar on the track. These are often looked down upon as not providing much/enough protection, but I can't move less than an inch in any direction (360) and they at least provide sideways protection unlike HANS.

Quick Reply: 1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder