Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your tips on Boxster winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

[QUOTE=meteor10;10977278]
Originally Posted by Macster
Be sure at the top of your list you do an oil/filter service before you put the car away.

Just wondering what the thinking is for an oil change before storing the car. I would think you would want the fresh oil in the spring when you will start driving again.
Oils contain additives that keep the oil pH neutral. As you drive the car and the oils are exposed to gas and other pollutants the additives get used up and the pH goes up (acidic). The net result is the acid can attack metals and soft parts causing pitting. Fresh oil will prevent this from happening.

Having said that, if you don't drive the car very much I seriously doubt that oil with 2 - 3000 miles of street use will be an issue through the winter.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
^re: oil change before hibernation.

After you workout. do you shower before going into the office or before going to bed?
Huh?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Marine Blue;10977751]
Originally Posted by meteor10

Oils contain additives that keep the oil pH neutral. As you drive the car and the oils are exposed to gas and other pollutants the additives get used up and the pH goes up (acidic). The net result is the acid can attack metals and soft parts causing pitting. Fresh oil will prevent this from happening.

Having said that, if you don't drive the car very much I seriously doubt that oil with 2 - 3000 miles of street use will be an issue through the winter.
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation Afshin
Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Why locking the doors? Does the ECU put the car to "sleep"? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:52 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Marine Blue;10977751]

In medical developers this same principle applied. In mixing chemistry from coast to coast each customer was using water of differing pH. Therefore, chelating agents, were part of the formula, these additive balanced the pH regardless of variations from each water supply. Unlikely that it's the same chemical additive but the principle sounds the same.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
Why locking the doors? Does the ECU put the car to "sleep"? Thanks.
Battery draw (electricity usage) is lower when doors are locked and alarm is set. Doors will, however, lock themselves after about a week of inactivity. Same with the frunk, for example. If you leave it ajar the light inside the frunk will stay on for a time and continue using electricity. It will eventually turn off, however.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leave the frunk cracked and simply unplug the courtesy light, just make sure you isolate the bare ends lest you short something out.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Battery draw (electricity usage) is lower when doors are locked and alarm is set. Doors will, however, lock themselves after about a week of inactivity. Same with the frunk, for example. If you leave it ajar the light inside the frunk will stay on for a time and continue using electricity. It will eventually turn off, however.
Does the battery draw matter if you have the battery on a maintainer?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Does the battery draw matter if you have the battery on a maintainer?
No. Good to go. That's the proper way.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM
AlfaGary
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I missed it but I don't see where anyone mentions coolant. If you live in a cold climate, it's wise to make sure you have a proper mix of coolant and water in the radiator before covering your car for the winter.

You can get a simple hydrometer made for this for less than $5 or you can spend $100+ for a refractometer. You can even get coolant test strips. What you don't want is to jump in your car in the Spring only to find that someone skimped on coolant and your mostly water mix froze, creating all kinds of havoc inside your engine.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

I live in Minnesota. Here's what I did to my 2006 Cayman S. It is being stored in a 70 degree year round garage.

Changed the oil and filter.
Checked coolant.
Filled the car with 91 non oxy gas
Washed the car.
I treated the tires...tread, outer and inner sidewall with 303 protectant.
I treated all weather stripping and rubber items on the outside with 303 and also the leather seats.

If you have never used 303 on your tires, I highly suggest it. For the first time ever I did not have flat spots in my tires last year after treating them with 303. And I didn't treat them until late winter. Now, I treated them in November and I'm going to let that stuff soak in all winter.

This is where I learned about it.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Wow, I have to feel kind of bad for all of you that have to garage your cars for the winter. We have pretty mild winters in the Pacific NW so we slap on a set of winter tires and drive. It's not the same as a nice warm dry pavement day but I still get to drive. Although if I'm going in the snow or really bad weather I take the Cayenne TT with winter tires.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 PM
porshah
Instructor

What is this Winter Storage business? I just got a set of winter wheels/tires and good to go!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

I don't mind it actually. It gives me something to look forward to in the spring. I get to insure it under comprehensive instead of full coverage and I don't spend as much on gas. I can park my winter car anywhere and not have to worry about dings or scratches and I get to spend more time outside at the rink skating. That's about the best I can do to make it sound positive living in this horrible cold over taxed state.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:59 AM
Cane94
Track Day

Carcapsule. Self contained, circulating fan with tender. My spyder is completely protected from all elements and creatures.

Quick Reply: Your tips on Boxster winter storage