Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 981 Boxster Spyder? Or possibly too good to be permitted
Of course!
56.25%
No way...
43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Will there be a 981 Boxster Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:44 PM
homerdog
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

It's up to you whether you believe me or not, I couldn't care less! Just passing on what I know in a thread discussing the possibility of a new Spyder...
Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 AM
LitRbl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homerdog
My UK dealer confirmed that the Spyder will be announced in April and available in June. Saw it with my own eyes on his computer!
I can confirm this is correct information based on my conversation with 3 UK dealers.

As we haven't even seen a Spyder mule yet it could be possible the Spyder will get the same bits as the GT4 and some cosmetic make-up which means there is no need to test a separate mule as the GT4 already covers the testing?

Either way you guys should be happy with the 3 new models coming this Easter
Old 12-08-2014, 01:46 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LitRbl
I can confirm this is correct information based on my conversation with 3 UK dealers.

As we haven't even seen a Spyder mule yet it could be possible the Spyder will get the same bits as the GT4 and some cosmetic make-up which means there is no need to test a separate mule as the GT4 already covers the testing?

Either way you guys should be happy with the 3 new models coming this Easter
I guess Porsches dealers in its largest market are just ignorant to all this inside information or perhaps how we kept the atomic bomb a secret.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 891 Posts

Looks like no Spyder for the 981.... more of a Boxster GT4!
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/12/new...orking-on.html
Old 12-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
This makes sense, same carryover that occurred between the Spyder and Cayman R. More power, better suspension, maybe better brakes and likely standard LSD. I'm curious if they will also try to make it lighter. Would be a major bummer if it onlyl comes with PDK though.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:59 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This makes sense, same carryover that occurred between the Spyder and Cayman R. More power, better suspension, maybe better brakes and likely standard LSD. I'm curious if they will also try to make it lighter. Would be a major bummer if it onlyl comes with PDK though.
The photographer stated that this prototype was a manual transmission.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:05 PM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This what I was thinking too. While I like the Spyder's roof, it was a hard sell. I'm betting they're going all in on HP and not focused on weight.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:43 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by navanoD
Maybe they will make a Spyder for only three dealers in the U.K.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:53 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

the roof setup is what makes the spyder unique. I really don't see Porsche offering a manual top again like this.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM
LitRbl
Instructor

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Maybe they will make a Spyder for only three dealers in the U.K.
Haha... It's the same car - doesn't matter what they call it though it is coming. The name is just for marketing purposes I guess...
Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 AM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Haha... It's the same car - doesn't matter what they call it though it is coming. The name is just for marketing purposes I guess...
It's not just marketing and not the same car. If Porsche focuses on HP and doesn't work hard at reducing weight, it's not the equivalent.

The spyder concept was a minimalist approach that looked to cut weight to the bone to improve the performance of the car. If this new boxster has an automated top - and the weight along with it - it's no spyder.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:27 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

This new car is far from a spyder conceptually. Doesnt look nearly as good IMHO even though this is still a prototype you can get the jist of it.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:48 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Since it seems that the UK dealers are the ones using this nomenclature my guess it was a marketing choice to insert the name until something official came from HQ on what it would be called ( the range topping Boxster) so probably why you guys alone are seeing the 981 "Spyder".

As has been mentioned there was probably no way you would get a 981 light weight car, the design of the 981 is beautiful as is and frankly still has another cycle before its replacement is ready. The 987 was the perfect platform to build the Spyder as it was already earmarked for replacement, a little more "raw" than the 981 across the spectrum and probably the last of the purely mechanical Porsches to be made from the sense of absence of science fiction electronics. Look at the interior alone of the 981 from the gauge cluster to center stack...these are no longer the entry level Porsches as they once were but have taken many parts from the 911 and other more expensive Porsches. So if one were to build a Spyder today what would you remove? How would you control the options as not to add hundreds more pounds? I don't think you can even remove the double Din on the 981 because it feeds to the display on the far right gauge now. Then there is the top....Porsche spent a lot of money and time designing the Spyder as a concession or homage and they were rewarded everywhere but the point of sale. I think we will see a Speedster Boxster which would allow them to keep everything but not a LW Spyder...those days I believe are gone.

I had a E30 M3 and a E36 LW M3 and now look at the M3. Great cars to be sure but not those in any stretch of the imagination no matter how exotic the material used to lesson weight. Look at the Alpha 4C for a lesson to see how a LW no frills sports car will fare. As Motor Trend just said " A great 5th car"
Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 PM
LitRbl
Instructor

Yes you guys are correct. If they could reduce the weight noticeably Id love to buy one... But look at the new GT3 - the car could have been lighter but technology like RWS was added, though its benefit appears to have outweighed the weight cost.

They say hope is the last thing to die... I have hope for a light weight Porsche.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

They say hope is the last thing to die... I have hope for a light weight Porsche.
Although it would be pretty cool to have snapped up the last one ever produced

Quick Reply: Will there be a 981 Boxster Spyder?