Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev matching with Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
hmmmmm.. interesting. you are the only person i know that still does it this way, even i changed, in response to the harder (non-spongy pedals)
Assuming your spyder has as spongy pedal (which they do), and assuming that you are braking hard before a turn (which you should), there is zero doubt in my mind that the brake pedal will be in a position much lower than the throttle on the spyder. Given that this is the case, how can you roll the outer edge of your foot onto the throttle for the blip? The disparity in pedal height position wont allow it. The roll method works if the brake pedal is about the same level as the throttle (which is the case with the GT3 since the brake pedal is short travel and firm, and why a roll may be the better method for the GT3). I had to force myself to use the classic heel toe method at the track with the spyder because the roll just wouldn't work if I was hard on the brakes. If I was light on the brakes, then I could roll, but my lap times would suffer.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I know why. I no longer focus on this. As you say, tracking between the RS and spyder and my ex CR made me realise the differences in pedal sponginess. It has forced me to re-evaluate how I heel/toe in order to do it such that rev matching is possible both on track and on the street and that i don't over-rev or under-rev or brake too abruptly while heel/toe.... all of which are possible whether on track or not.

You mention braking hard. You must mean braking hard within ABS threshold. I no longer brake hard, I am working on squeezing hard....

To your actual question. I use the outer edge of my right foot across the entire length to the extent i need depending on where the ball of my right foot is on the brake pedal (ie whether I am sufficiently to the right side of the brake pedal )or not. This will determine whether the heel toe is well executed. so there is no perfect circumstance and whilst my PCCBs have worn in and no longer are so stiff (makes it easier to modulate and heel/toe), there are times on track where you don't squeeze the brakes hard but in effect want a lower gear to get the chassis more throttle sensitive. AS you rightly say, we don't have the same feet, it is up to the individual to find a solution to the pedal problem and I recommend examining the way one heel/toe rather than find some aftermarket pedal covers.

Anyway, for all you know, I may never have ventured on track before given I don't post my videos.....................

BTW, I think your stab method means you can't heel toe on the street effectively. Your call here but perhaps worth experimenting

did I mention left foot braking to add to the mix????
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by khooni
BTW, I think your stab method means you can't heel toe on the street effectively. Your call here but perhaps worth experimenting
This is correct. The roll is much easier to do with street driving, although I've learned to do it both ways on the street.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Just to prove that I'm not insane (I have to do that a lot), here is proof that I'm not the only one still doing 'classic' heel toe.

Hurley Haywood on a GT3: skip to 12:45
Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Just to prove that I'm not insane (I have to do that a lot), here is proof that I'm not the only one still doing 'classic' heel toe.

Hurley Haywood on a GT3: skip to 12:45
sorry i take that back. The classic method is a single method. what I meant was there is no single way to do it rather whatever works for each different car and pedal setup. I started using only heel stab but now I use my entire foot depending on where i end up on the brake pedal so it means either roll or heel or anywhere in between. No right or wrong, just a lot of ways to do it depending on your foot shape.
ultimately the less of an angle you need to position your foot, the easier it is and the more accurate it is to fine tune the throttle.

I'll be happy for others to contribute on how they manage this.......

Quick Reply: Rev matching with Sport Chrono