Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First DIY Oil Change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Refill volume does depend on how long you let it drain for. My experience:

Drain for 45 min. = 8 qt. total (including oil filter housing)
Drain for ~4 hrs = ~8.5 qt.
Drain overnight = 9 qt.

EDIT: changed wrong numbers above.
The techs tell me the new DFI engines have two drain times and two refill quantities listed in the official factory docs. 1 hour and overnight (or 12 hours).

The 12 hour drain time is to accommodate a customer who brings in a car late the day. The car is lifted and the drain begun and left overnight. Then the tech arrives the next day and finishes the job so the car is ready to go earlier than it would be had he waited to drain the oil the next day.

The refill amounts for both drain times are different. I do not know what they are as the refill amounts are based on the car's VIN. What works for say a 2009 MY may not be the right amount for a newer MY vehicle, even if both have the "same" engine.

Based on my experience with my cars using plastic ramps to get the rear of the car off the ground the slight out of level position doesn't make any difference in the amount of oil that is drained.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
Did my first DIY oil change yesterday. Put the car up on 4 stands Friday night (jack point stands worked great) in the garage and changed the filter, torqued it back on to 19lbs and let the oil drain out overnight. Saturday morning torqued the LN magnetic drain plug to their recommended 19 lbs ( doesn't seem like enough torque to me but what do I know), then put in 7.5 quarts of the recommended 8 quarts of 0w-40. Then took it for about a 10 mile drive and checked level. It was 2 segments down. Came home put in the last 1/2 quart, took it for another drive and checked again ( always on level garage floor) and it was 1 segment down. QUESTION- do I add a little at a time till it reads full or do I stick to the 8 quarts listed as the capacity. The last oil change was done by the dealer and when they were done gauge read full. Would it be bad for the engine to add maybe another 10 oz. or so to get it to read full? Before I drained the oil the gauge was 1 segment down and I measured what came out and it aligns with that. I measured about 1/3 of a quart shy of 8 quarts of used oil in the drain pan.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Steve
To do the job properly you need to know how much oil the engine should require. My info is this is based on the car's VIN and the parts department may be able to tell you or a tech may have the info he can share with you.

Then the engine is operated until it is at the minimum temperature. The oil is drained a specific amount of time. The new DFI engines have a 1 hour and an overnight drain time.

The amount of oil to add to the engine is different based on the drain times.

Then based on the drain time the specific amount of oil is added to the engine. The oil level is then checked to confirm the e-oil level system is working properly and reports the correct oil level.

I do not know about the newer models but for instance my Turbo after a 20 minute drain at and engine temperature of 70C (or hotter) requires 7.8l of oil. This amount of oil added should have the e-oil level reading at the max line on the display. Not one segment below or above.

By putting in the specified amount of oil and a known amount of oil (the oil dispensing guns at the dealer display the amount of oil in high resolution and the oil is stored at a constant temperature) into the engine the accuracy and proper function of the e-oil level system can be verified.

Quick Reply: First DIY Oil Change question