Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My Spyder for sale, bittersweet 2...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I ran into a vintage racing wheel collector once. He had with him an old Ferrari F1 steering wheel from the early 1960's. He said it was going for about $10K. Hold onto those steering wheels...
I will. Until someone pries them 'from my cold, dead hands', to paraphrase Charles Heston! On the other hand, when they reach $10K, how many do you want? I am easy...and strongly believe in capitalism!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

sold. I miss it already, but everytime I get in my 993 I forget really fast.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jvmax
sold. I miss it already, but everytime I get in my 993 I forget really fast.
Congratulations, jvmax! Enjoy your Z8 now!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot to mention....on the Z8....make damn sure you don't have frame damage. The previous owners should have installed the "performance kit" on the car....a fancy name for front strut tower support brace that came from BMW. The issue was that the run flat tires slowly dimpled the strut towers. The aluminum frame was not designed for those tires....they were a last minute production change. I was lucky with ours...I babied it for 6 years and then heard about the issue. BMW gave me the $5k kit and installed it for free. Look at the gaps in the hood...that it the first sign. If you google it, all kinds of info will come up. The defect made the front page of the WSJ.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default re Z8 'frame' issues

Originally Posted by texasviany
I forgot to mention....on the Z8....make damn sure you don't have frame damage. The previous owners should have installed the "performance kit" on the car....a fancy name for front strut tower support brace that came from BMW. The issue was that the run flat tires slowly dimpled the strut towers. The aluminum frame was not designed for those tires....they were a last minute production change. I was lucky with ours...I babied it for 6 years and then heard about the issue. BMW gave me the $5k kit and installed it for free. Look at the gaps in the hood...that it the first sign. If you google it, all kinds of info will come up. The defect made the front page of the WSJ.
True. I changed my tires to regular non-run flats soon after I acquired my Z8 in 2003. Almost all of us did that. I followed the 'frame' issue closely. BMW sent a factory tech to Reno, where I kept that car, to examined the vehicle closely. It was found undamaged and gave it a 'clean bill of health'. Unfortunately, they were not as generous with me as they were with you! I never got the $5K 'reinforcement' kit for free. I sold the Z8 in 2007 and it's living now (happily I hope) in the Chicago region.

jvmax, you can follow the topic in great detail here:

http://www.bmwz8.us/chat_frame.htm
Go down to 'The Frame Forum', after 'Suspension'!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 02-04-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
yes, made sure of this, car checks out fine. no performance kit, but car is florida owned with 6k miles.

Quick Reply: My Spyder for sale, bittersweet 2...