Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Boxster S Engine Failed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Very interesting that the shipping fixture has a provision for both the 981 and 991 engines ... this does not bode well for the new design
Maybe that's what they use to move the engines around.
manufactured in one plant and assembled in another?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats on the new motor... You should bring the car out to the Cars and Coffee @ Champion on Feb 9th. There will be a good number of us there... hope to see you then!

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...e-feb-9th.html
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

A story for the OP: A few years ago I picked up my new E46 BMW, showroom car, 2 miles on odometer. Drove about 5 miles down the road, knocking noises started up from under the car. Drove home, called dealer, brought it back , had to take a cheap subcompact GM loaner for a couple of days (ugh!). Turned out the transfer case failed (AWD). Dealer installed a new one. No problems with this car since, 7 years later still runs great, has recently become my back up / winter car for 987 CS. Not a great start, but everything turned out well in the end. I hope the same for you.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
agvaldes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on attending the event at Champion Motorsports next week.

Also I am going to the club races at Sebring Saturday. I am trying to put a lot of miles on the car as soon as possible in case of trouble. So far the car is running great and idles much smoother than the other motor ever did.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by agvaldes
I am trying to put a lot of miles on the car as soon as possible in case of trouble. So far the car is running great and idles much smoother than the other motor ever did.
Are you planning to do an early oil change?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something similar happened to me when I purchased my 2010 Base Cayman brand new with 0 miles and at mile 1680 on the car, the PDk transmission cratered. It was the first PDK failure on the east coast. Porsche sent a brand new PDK to the dealership, it was installed and no other problems after that. It was concluded that something must have been missed by quality control because the car was practically brand new and broken in correctly. Same thing probably happened with your engine. As long as your car is going to be fixed and under warrantee you should be fine.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

The car was 85,000 so it would be hard to order a more expensive one, the only option I didn't get was full leather which I regret.
Not so fast. Mine was in that same neighborhood, and I skipped the PCCBs, heated steering wheel, 20" wheels, and front park assist. So you could easily spend another $10,000, if you really wanted to. Just saying...
Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
Not so fast. Mine was in that same neighborhood, and I skipped the PCCBs, heated steering wheel, 20" wheels, and front park assist. So you could easily spend another $10,000, if you really wanted to. Just saying...
Yup, there have been 981Ss with MSRP over $100,000.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Also I am going to the club races at Sebring Saturday. I am trying to put a lot of miles on the car as soon as possible in case of trouble. So far the car is running great and idles much smoother than the other motor ever did.
Great to hear! There is a meet tomorrow (Sunday/Feb 3) at Carolina Ale House in Doral from noon to 4. A few of us will be there around noon. Stop by if you have time.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM
MikenOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, what was your build date, if you know it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
agvaldes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My build date was early September 2012.

One final note:

Porsche is giving me their 5 year 50,000 miles prepaid maintenance for free for my "troubles". I figure that it must be worth a couple thousand dollars and it is transferable to a new owner. I am waiting for the papers to arrive some time this week. I am tired of the whole motor issue. If it breaks again its under warranty.

The car continues to run fine and I have about 700 miles on the new engine.

I got a oil filter delivered today from Suncoast Porsche and plan on changing the oil and filter around 2,000 miles if I can find the location of the filter. My brother has a repair shop so I have access to a lift.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM
lithium1330
Racer

I got a oil filter delivered today from Suncoast Porsche and plan on changing the oil and filter around 2,000 miles if I can find the location of the filter. My brother has a repair shop so I have access to a lift.
Unless they moved the engine design a bit (from the 986/7's)...you should be able to spot a black plastic cup looking-thing by looking under the engine (from the rear bumper), just left of center, to the front of the engine skid plate.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 PM
MikenOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My build date was early September 2012.

One final note:

Porsche is giving me their 5 year 50,000 miles prepaid maintenance for free for my "troubles". I figure that it must be worth a couple thousand dollars and it is transferable to a new owner. I am waiting for the papers to arrive some time this week. I am tired of the whole motor issue. If it breaks again its under warranty.

The car continues to run fine and I have about 700 miles on the new engine.

Sounds like a good faith move by PCNA to make you whole; it is worth some $ for sure. The 40K servicing by itself is worth around $1500.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Porsche is giving me their 5 year 50,000 miles prepaid maintenance for free for my "troubles". I figure that it must be worth a couple thousand dollars and it is transferable to a new owner.
That is a better deal than the extended warranty on the engine alone that you hoped to get. This is real money that you (and the next owner) will keep in your bank account and not have to spend. The extended engine warranty is 'pie in the sky' that you will probably never get to taste. Good for you! Besides, you have the standard powertrain warranty for the first four years. If you, or the next owner, were to experienced another catastrophic engine failure after these four years, Porsche would probably do a 'good will' repair in any case! Here is why. PAG is primarily an engineering company. The engine & production engineers would be so curious as to why that second engine failed again that you would need security guards to keep them away from your car even if you didn't want a new motor!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Porsche is giving me their 5 year 50,000 miles prepaid maintenance for free for my "troubles" .... transferable to a new owner. ....I am tired of the whole motor issue.
Cheer up, man! That's a fantastic deal! Many others have gotten much less (most, nothing). They just gave you more than $3,000!

Originally Posted by lithium1330
Unless they moved the engine design a bit (from the 986/7's)...you should be able to spot a black plastic cup looking-thing by looking under the engine (from the rear bumper), just left of center, to the front of the engine skid plate.
Ah, it is in a different place in 9A1. Much higher up and difficult to get to. You need at least an 8" extension for the filter wrench. I tried doing it with a strap wrench... PITA!! And I had to give up after MUCH frustration. It's also not a direct shot as there's a cross member in your way. I had to run down to Advance Auto in my dirty ripped clothes (from rolling on my back) for the fix.

Last edited by the_vetman; 02-05-2013 at 05:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Boxster S Engine Failed!!