Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Official Porsche Archive Production Figures for the MY2011/MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
The year of the car makes no odds what so ever
Once warranties expire, I agree. For cars like the Spyder where there are no differences between model years, condition, originality (paint, equipment, etc.), and mileage will determine value. Color and options - including seats and transmission - much less so.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Once warranties expire, I agree. For cars like the Spyder where there are no differences between model years, condition, originality (paint, equipment, etc.), and mileage will determine value. Color and options - including seats and transmission - much less so.
I have to disagree with the options- seats/transmission not being important- They make or break the car. Especially seats in the case of the Spyder.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

For every person like you and me that appreciate the sport buckets, there are many more that find them uncomfortable and/or difficult. In the long term, seats can always be switched - and it's not like the other seat options are like park benches...
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

seats, wheels are the 2 big selling points for the future

and would cost 10k to switch out.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

All this talk about future value of our cars.........not sure about you all.....but I did not buy mine to have it sit in the garage and either appreciate or hold its value. I bought it to drive the @#$! out of it and I have been doing just that. I have heated sport seats, Nav and AC and you will never convince me that I should have bought a Boxster S. The exterior of these cars is a work of art and the roof is an engineering marvel. This is the only convertible I have ever seen that looks as good with the roof on as off.

I have no plans to sell mine and if I ever do it will probably have 40-50k heart-pounding miles on it and the extra $10k I would get for Sport Buckets would never overcome that driving privilege. So let's stop worrying about what they will be worth and enjoy what we have now! If you are sitting on the fence waiting for the right options, you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment now for a little ROI down the road!!!! Happy New Year!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig67
All this talk about future value of our cars.........not sure about you all.....but I did not buy mine to have it sit in the garage and either appreciate or hold its value. ...... So let's stop worrying about what they will be worth and enjoy what we have now!
Completely agree. Happy New Year, all.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 AM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just turned over 16500 miles.
I have no intention on saving this pleasure machine for anyone else.
Every chance I get to drive it I do!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

All this talk about future value of our cars.........not sure about you all.....but I did not buy mine to have it sit in the garage and either appreciate or hold its value. I bought it to drive the @#$! out of it and I have been doing just that. I have heated sport seats, Nav and AC and you will never convince me that I should have bought a Boxster S. The exterior of these cars is a work of art and the roof is an engineering marvel. This is the only convertible I have ever seen that looks as good with the roof on as off.

I have no plans to sell mine and if I ever do it will probably have 40-50k heart-pounding miles on it and the extra $10k I would get for Sport Buckets would never overcome that driving privilege. So let's stop worrying about what they will be worth and enjoy what we have now! If you are sitting on the fence waiting for the right options, you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment now for a little ROI down the road!!!! Happy New Year!!!
Great post. Agree with everything you said!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, great post. My sentiments exactly. Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Great post. Agree with everything you said!
Joe,

are u not tempted by the Gt3.... knowing the brakes are all you ever wanted.......
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by khooni
Joe,

are u not tempted by the Gt3.... knowing the brakes are all you ever wanted.......
Oh, the GT3 is likely in my future, just not now. Too many unknowns and other priorities will not allow it at this time. Trust me, I'd really like to have one, but I need to be responsible. I won't sell the spyder, either.

Besides, you don't need to get a GT3 to have a proper brake pedal. My Mitsubishi Evo had a brake pedal just as solid as a GT3. The BRZ supposedly has a solid one too. Heck, an old 986 has a great brake pedal too. A firm brake pedal is not a difficult thing to find. Porsche purposely dumbed it down on the 987 to appease the masses... and you.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

don't think so... the masses like the short travel and firm feel....

just ask most people. I remember the first time i drove a 993 turbo, I was screaming to the passenger that the car can't stop....

I'm just difficult like that.

oh and, i prefer the FRS..............
Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by khooni
don't think so... the masses like the short travel and firm feel....

just ask most people. I remember the first time i drove a 993 turbo, I was screaming to the passenger that the car can't stop....

I'm just difficult like that.

oh and, i prefer the FRS..............
You and I live in alternate universes.

In my universe the 'masses' (soccer moms, trophy wives, posers, and your generic everyday car buyer who doesn't know anything about cars) prefer a progressive, long travel brake pedal. The vast majority of cars being made now have been specifically engineered to have this type of brake pedal. I don't consider you a member of the 'masses', which is why an exception was made for you.

Also, in my universe (this side of the atlantic ocean), the BRZ has nicer amenities, and has a suspension supposedly tuned better for a track, whereas the FRS is tuned better for drifting. Also, I've always wanted that WR Blue pearl color....

Nothing wrong with getting an FRS, though. I strongly considered it since it was cheaper. I'd be surprised if I was adept enough to notice the handling differences between the two.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You and I live in alternate universes.

In my universe the 'masses' (soccer moms, trophy wives, posers, and your generic everyday car buyer who doesn't know anything about cars) prefer a progressive, long travel brake pedal. The vast majority of cars being made now have been specifically engineered to have this type of brake pedal. I don't consider you a member of the 'masses', which is why an exception was made for you.

Also, in my universe (this side of the atlantic ocean), the BRZ has nicer amenities, and has a suspension supposedly tuned better for a track, whereas the FRS is tuned better for drifting. Also, I've always wanted that WR Blue pearl color....

Nothing wrong with getting an FRS, though. I strongly considered it since it was cheaper. I'd be surprised if I was adept enough to notice the handling differences between the two.
All cars used to have a decent pedal, even if they had crap brakes.

I like the BRZ better, too. You can't get HIDs on the FRS, either.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
All cars used to have a decent pedal, even if they had crap brakes.
True

I like the BRZ better, too. You can't get HIDs on the FRS, either.
Yes, Steve, my eyes are starting to get older so I need those HIDs too
Actually it's the nice LED DRL lights on the BRZ that lured me too.

Quick Reply: Official Porsche Archive Production Figures for the MY2011/MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder!