Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster Spyder Top Sealing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM
glapira
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Spyder Top Sealing

Hi Guys,

first of all, I would like to introduce myself as this is my first post on this forum. I recently bough my new Porsche, a Boxster Spyder. I am absolutely delighted with it and I think it's just the car I wanted... :-)

I have been driving it for a bit now, but as I live in Spain, the convertible top hasn't been on a lot, to be honest! Now the other day I drove it with the top mounted (both of them), so the car was completely "closed".

I could clearly feel the left side, just above the left side window, doesn't seal completely... and I could hear both the wind noise and some fresh air getting inside the car. The right side seals perfectly and it's much quieter!

In fact, once I stopped, I tried to adjust the top by stretching it a little bit, but i could clearly feel with my hand that it wasn't sealing completely on the left side. There was nothing strange I could see or feel though.

Anybody experienced something similar? Any solution to it before I bring it to Porsche?

The car is still under warranty, but, just as a matter of interest, how much would a new convertible top cost?

I understand the convertible top is not perfect, but I believe that it could seal a little bit better... :-)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Gio
Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on the Spyder!

Post some pictures and details.

I don't believe the top was designed to seal completely. I know I can also place my hand between the window and the top piece. That is truly the one major drawback to the Spyder. It is enough to keep the water out but certainly not the air based upon my experience.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on the Spyder!

Post some pictures and details.

I don't believe the top was designed to seal completely. I know I can also place my hand between the window and the top piece. That is truly the one major drawback to the Spyder. It is enough to keep the water out but certainly not the air based upon my experience.
I was hesitant to reply since I don't own a Spyder, but based on my test drive I agree with your observations. There was far from a perfect seal on the car that I test drove, and actually I wonder if water may seap in during a hard rain.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

No issues with water getting in from everything I have read. Mine hasn't seen rain so I can't confirm. I did wash it once and didnt have any problems.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

On my car there is not an airtight seal. I will get some flapping of the cover on the window at high speeds, which can be annoying. On long drives up to the track, the constant wind noise can be annoying. That being said, I have driven through hard rain in the car, and did not have any water leak into the car even at high speeds.

Afshin, you've washed your car ONCE since you've owned it?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 PM
glapira
3rd Gear

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for your replies... well, the thing is I've washed the car a couple times, no water in so far... the seal for external elements seems quite good so far.

The thing is that, one of the sides seals much better... and the window is just touching the top, so there is no noise or flapping so far. On the left side, there is about 0,5-1cm between the window and the plastic little flap on the top, that basically acts as "seal". As I said, one of the sides is perfect.

I believe there isn't much that can be done, as you guys say... this is not really supposed to be a conventional top... I will bring it to Porsche anyways for a quite check, and assume the car is like this... it beautiful the way it is... :-)

Thanks a lot and let me know if you think of anything else!

Gio
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

for some reason, the 'flapping' only happens on my passenger side. Also, when the rear 'weather protector' is not installed and only the sunshade is up, the sunshade won't flip over the window and will get caught when you close the door if the window is up, but only on the passenger side (hard to describe, but does that make sense?). If the weather protector is installed, then the problem goes away and the door closes nicely. I brought this up with the dealer, and they said I have to deal with it. I figured so.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
On my car there is not an airtight seal. I will get some flapping of the cover on the window at high speeds, which can be annoying. On long drives up to the track, the constant wind noise can be annoying. That being said, I have driven through hard rain in the car, and did not have any water leak into the car even at high speeds.

Afshin, you've washed your car ONCE since you've owned it?
Joe my car doesn't see rain and I have a technique to clean it without water which keeps it swirl free. I've been detailing cars since I was 13 and have learned a great deal from personal experience and talking to people in the industry. It's something I enjoy doing and have done professionally on occasion when someone was willing to spend what I charged hourly.

Originally Posted by glapira
Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for your replies... well, the thing is I've washed the car a couple times, no water in so far... the seal for external elements seems quite good so far.

The thing is that, one of the sides seals much better... and the window is just touching the top, so there is no noise or flapping so far. On the left side, there is about 0,5-1cm between the window and the plastic little flap on the top, that basically acts as "seal". As I said, one of the sides is perfect.

I believe there isn't much that can be done, as you guys say... this is not really supposed to be a conventional top... I will bring it to Porsche anyways for a quite check, and assume the car is like this... it beautiful the way it is... :-)

Thanks a lot and let me know if you think of anything else!

Gio
Gio my top also has a slightly bigger gap on one the drivers side, not sure why that is.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

for some reason, the 'flapping' only happens on my passenger side. Also, when the rear 'weather protector' is not installed and only the sunshade is up, the sunshade won't flip over the window and will get caught when you close the door if the window is up, but only on the passenger side (hard to describe, but does that make sense?). If the weather protector is installed, then the problem goes away and the door closes nicely. I brought this up with the dealer, and they said I have to deal with it. I figured so.
I have observed the exact same thing on mine and I know others have as well.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Joe my car doesn't see rain and I have a technique to clean it without water which keeps it swirl free. I've been detailing cars since I was 13 and have learned a great deal from personal experience and talking to people in the industry. It's something I enjoy doing and have done professionally on occasion when someone was willing to spend what I charged hourly.
How do you clean without water? I've noticed some swirling on my car. How do you get rid of it?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM
glapira
3rd Gear

Exactly the same here... Doesn't allways happen, but when it does is on the passenger side!

Good to see its not only me! Thanks Marine Blue!

Take care.

Gio
Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

How do you clean without water? I've noticed some swirling on my car. How do you get rid of it?
I don't claim any particular detailing expertise, but based on lessons I have learned from the school of hard knocks, swirls typically occur during the drying process. Of course you should be careful when washing and use a microfiber car washing mitt. One of my neighbors who owns a Ferrari, uses a blower with an air filter to dry his car. In my case I just use microfiber drying towels, and of course avoid buying a black car. You can typically hide swirls by applying any good wax.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
bensf
Racer

for some reason, the 'flapping' only happens on my passenger side. Also, when the rear 'weather protector' is not installed and only the sunshade is up, the sunshade won't flip over the window and will get caught when you close the door if the window is up, but only on the passenger side (hard to describe, but does that make sense?).
Gio my top also has a slightly bigger gap on one the drivers side, not sure why that is.
This happens to me as well but you can slide the sunshade slightly left or right before cinching down the lever to alleviate it.

Marine Blue - Which waterless wash are you using? I'm using ONR and very happy with it. I just tried the NanoSkin Autoscrub on a Porter Cable, fabulous product, will not be going back to clay bars.

Joe - let me know if you want to borrow my Porter Cable to get rid of the swirls.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bensf
Marine Blue - Which waterless wash are you using? I'm using ONR and very happy with it. I just tried the NanoSkin Autoscrub on a Porter Cable, fabulous product, will not be going back to clay bars.

Joe - let me know if you want to borrow my Porter Cable to get rid of the swirls.
Since my Spyder doesn't see rain it never really gets too dirty. After every drive I use a California Duster to gently remove the dust from the surface of the car. I never push hard and I do my best to make sure that most of the dust is removed.

After finishing the dusting I use Pinnacle Crystal Myst Quick Detail spray and a plush Microfiber. I like the Pinnacle QD because it creates an antistatic surface so the microfibers don't lint on the paint and it also minimizes future dust. My current favorites for Microfibers are the Cobra towels from Autogeek, they're plush and they don't scratch the paint. They have two different weaves on them, one weave is tighter and is perfect for most of the body panels, the open weave is nice for areas like the rockers and lower parts of the car that have more dirt on them.

I also use the same products for the wheels although the duster is never used and I typically use a cheap microfiber.

If you have really light swirls and you don't mind a work out and some elbow grease you can use a hand polish to remove the swirls. Meguiars makes some good hand polishes that can remove the really light swirls. Anything heavier will require a porter cable and a finishing polish with finishing pad.

I've never tried the nanoskin but it definitely looks like a great solution and I may give it a shot on the DD which sits outside under the pine trees!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gio,

Thankfully my top fits perfectly on both sides, but a few weeks ago I met a guy at Wheel Enhancement who owns a white 2011 and he had the same issue you are describing. He did not complain about any water leaks, so I assume this is "normal".

A

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder Top Sealing