Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Where are the last MY2012 Spyders going to the US?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Still kills me that they do not do the deviating stitching on the steering wheel or the shifter. Ruins the whole idea in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I believe you can get deviating stitching on the steering wheel and shifter + parking brake, as long as they are an 'Exclusive' option steering wheel and 'Exclusive' option shifter + parking brake. At least that is what I was told when trying to order a 997S with entirely red stitching. However, I did not like the 'Exclusive' optional choices for the shifter + parking brake in Alcantara with the 'Porsche' logo, so I skipped the whole idea.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig67
Still kills me that they do not do the deviating stitching on the steering wheel or the shifter. Ruins the whole idea in my opinion.
In MY2012, you could have ordered deviating stitching in a variety of colors on the steering wheel. It would have cost $1025, which is expensive but at least it was offered. That was not the case for the Spyder in MY2011 when this option was not available. I asked Porsche Exclusive about it and they explained that a subcontractor does are their wheels and they couldn't do (or perhaps they didn't negotiate) that stitching option with them for MY2011. However, they were able to offer it in both the '12 Spyder and '12 Cayman R.

Matching deviated stitching on the shifter and e-brake is a different matter. I don't recall being available when I ordered my '12 Spyder. Later Suncoast started to offer the gt2 RS 'alcantara shifter boot with deviated red stitching' on their website, which is not that expensive to get. Don't know if the e-brake is available with deviating stitching in red from Suncoast but you can ask. The bottom line is that Suncoast can probably get you a factory deviating stitching on any optional leatherpart, in your interior factory leather color, but it will cost you! In the end, I decided to forgo deviated stitching on my Carrera Red full leather interior since any contrasting stitching gets lost in the massive sea of red! So it didn't become an issue with my particular order.

For the record, you can still see the deviating stitching option on the steering wheel which was offered on the '12 Cayman R. Go to PCNA & 'Build Your Own' on a Cayman R. It is Porsche Exclusive Option # CLU, cost $1025 and is available as per their explanation as follows: "Deviating stitching in steering wheel rim. NOTE: stitching available in Guards Red (G1), Flamenco Red (W40), Speed Yellow (X4), Giotto Grey (GI), Mahogany (2LX), Black (A1), Espresso (NA), Lipstick Red (LPRD), Maritime Blue (MTB), Carrara White (9GA), Magnolia (MGNL), Red Brown (RDBN), Carrera Red (07), Sand Beige (TG), Stone Grey (DE), Ocean Blue (FD)." The fact that it is available in so many colors also tells you that Porsche thinks of it as a stand-alone color accent (not necessarily to be matched to the shifter or e-brake). Deviating stitching on the seats and leather interior panels of the Spyder and Cayman R is very limited and offered in only a handful of colors (not the rainbow palette of colors available for the wheel).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda of related, but trying to re-hash this to see if there's anyone with refreshed data. Any ideas on actual production numbers for the beloved Spyder? In the USA? Can't wait to know what the real data is.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Another one from the last batch of '12 Spyders built is up for re-sale. It is #5182, originally sold in Texas and still down there...but now at a VW dealership lot:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Saludos, z356

Last edited by Z356; 02-18-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

The late '12 Carrara White Spyder (Vin #5182) which I posted in my last entry above was not able to sell at the VW dealership so it has moved to the BMW dealership in Fort Worth, Texas:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Although not a late Vin MY2012, this early '12 Spyder was listed last week in the internet. It has lots of options and a very high MSRP at $96,570! But it could be of interest to anyone looking for a fully loaded vehicle in the hard-to-find 'Sand Beige' full leather and sporting PCCB brakes!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=3

Finally, a car we talked about in this thread earlier, the Guards Red '12 Spyder with very late Vin (#5201) which was ordered by & delivered to Rennlister PogueMoHone, is no longer listed at Porsche of Fremont (CA) so I assumed it sold.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

That silver tan Spyder was at Porsche of San Antonio for many months. Seems kinda odd it has switched hands and trying to be sold by a private seller already.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JEI-Porsche
here's mine:

Re: "#5162, White/Black.. Isringhausen Imports, IL. Manual, Sport Chrono, Sport Buket, A/C, Xenon, Alcantara, PSE, painted roll bars. $73,735"

It lives in San Diego now. I looked for a long time before buying this dealer-ordered car. It seemed impossible to get a manual & sport bucket equipped car.
JEI sold Vin #5162 recently after advertising it here in Rennlist for $70,000 (asking). It had around 1800 miles on the odo. It sold pretty quickly as it was nicely optioned - manual with the desirable buckets.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

MY2012 Spyder #WP0CB2A86CS745190, not previously on our list until today, has shown up for sale at Ellis in Atlanta. Comes from PCNA as executive car which probably accounts for why we didn't see in dealer inventory prior. Platinum/Black. Manual. Sport Leather/alcantara seats ?, sport exhaust, sport shifter, A/C, 496 miles! This car next VIN # after JSF101's PTS Speed Yellow Spyder!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24483818&Log=0

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Ed, I saw that one (as part of my weekly rounds of autotrader and cars.com). My sights are however set on a spyder with a different exterior color though.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed,

Any idea or guess as to how many of our Aqua Blue Metallic Spyders were made in the whole production run??

Thanks,

Aaron

Originally Posted by Z356
MY2012 Spyder #WP0CB2A86CS745190, not previously on our list until today, has shown up for sale at Ellis in Atlanta. Comes from PCNA as executive car which probably accounts for why we didn't see in dealer inventory prior. Platinum/Black. Manual. Sport Leather/alcantara seats ?, sport exhaust, sport shifter, A/C, 496 miles! This car next VIN # after JSF101's PTS Speed Yellow Spyder!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24483818&Log=0

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Ed,

Any idea or guess as to how many of our Aqua Blue Metallic Spyders were made in the whole production run??

Thanks,

Aaron
It would be cool to know how many of each color was made. I'm sure White and Black are most popular followed by Silver, Red, Basalt, Blue and Cream White. Then there's the one off PTS colors!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by medtech
Ed, Any idea or guess as to how many of our Aqua Blue Metallic Spyders were made in the whole production run?? Thanks, Aaron
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It would be cool to know how many of each color was made. I'm sure White and Black are most popular followed by Silver, Red, Basalt, Blue and Cream White. Then there's the one off PTS colors!
Sorry boys, but PCNA has apparently made the decision that any such information is strictly proprietary and not to be shared with commoners like us!
Here is a copy of an email received by a Planet 9 member on this subject:

"Hello Mr.....,

Thank you for taking the time to email us. Unfortunately, we cannot
provide you with the production details you are requesting. This
information is considered proprietary and is not released.

If you have any questions or concerns you would like to further discuss,
please feel free to contact our Porsche Contact Center at 1-800-Porsche
option 3.

Kind regards,

Beth
The Porsche Contact Center
1-800-PORSCHE
(1-800-767-7243)"

On another front, I am working on a lead to verify information I first saw in Britain that claims someone obtained from PAG an exact world-wide production number for all Spyders built (MY2011 & MY2012) which puts that figure at 1883! This is fairly close to the 'approx. 2000' number given to me by a reputable PAG employee last August during The Quail Porsche test drives in Carmel!

Jabbey (who owns one of the last Spyders produced for the US) has also developed a methodology that claims to have pinned down the number of North American MY2012 Spyders at 241 (my number was 125 for just US) and 750 for MY2011. I hope he comes back to this forum and explains further what he has found.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...n-numbers.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

PS Afshin - That is a great photo of your beautiful daughter sitting in the 981 re: your current Avatar!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume Cayman R production numbers will never get out - there just doesn't seem to be the same enthusiasm from CR owners as from Spyder owners.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:19 AM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Jabbey (who owns one of the last Spyders produced for the US) has also developed a methodology that claims to have pinned down the number of North American MY2012 Spyders at 241 (my number was 125 for just US) and 750 for MY2011. I hope he comes back to this forum and explains further what he has found.

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...n-numbers.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

PS Afshin - That is a great photo of your beautiful daughter sitting in the 981 re: your current Avatar!
Eduardo,

Small correction there on the MY2012:

First VIN: WP0CB2A86CS745061
My VIN: XXXXXXXXXXX745195 (only 7 built after mine)
Last VIN: WP0CB2A89CS745202

141 MY2012 units to North America

The runs typically start with XXX1. Knowing that, I did a VIN validation using a variety of web services that validate North American VINs. I also had to figure out how to bump up the 9th digit of the VINs as it's not constant. Only the bump up in the final number "5195...". So that's how I figured out 5061 was the beginning of the MY2012 run. I also had the advantage of knowing about 5202 being right near the end. But I validated that there is no 5203. So, that's how we get the 141 vehicles.

I'll post it again sometime, but for MY2011 there was a comprehensive Excel file created. It has hundreds of MY2011 North American VINs, but not all. I just filled in the gaps, bumping up the VIN number and validating them against the VIN checker sites. Note: Even with a valid VIN sequence, you have to make sure it's really a car. That is, you can put in a VIN for a Spyder and get a false positive hit on things like CARFAX. But, it's easy to cross check it. And, those sites will state "Boxster Spyder", but there will be 0 records. I stopped at the VIN number that brought back a Spyder, and was the last one with vehicle history records on one ore more of the sites.

For Cayman R's, I have a lot less information, but if I had a good idea on the very first Cayman R, I might be able to get there. Does anyone know when the Cayman R's stopped being produced? I would think it's after July 2011 when the Spyders ended.

Hope that helps a bit.

Quick Reply: Where are the last MY2012 Spyders going to the US?