Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S or Lotus Evora?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:36 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a more equitable choice would be between the Cayman S and the Evora (both being coupes). But you are pitching either the Boxter S or the Evora. I really like some things about the Lotus. But not enough to move me towards it.. not even with a supercharger kit.

In either case, I would buy the P-car, hand's down... but I would be keeping a keen eye out for the new offerings from Lotus in a year or two (they've got some awesome looking stuff coming). The big question for me would be: Will the overall QC and build quality be raised substantially with Lotus? I certainly hope so.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-26-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Allan Gibbs
Advanced

I think the hardest part for me now is waiting until the 981 is introduced to decide 201_ Boxster or 2012 Boxster.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where was the "car seat" picture with the Boxster
Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Allan Gibbs
Advanced

Originally Posted by racer
Where was the "car seat" picture with the Boxster
I didn't take one but I tried it out a few weeks ago. It works. I mean, when my family goes out, we usually take the family sedan. Most of the time, it's just my 3 1/2 year old and myself so a Boxster should work out.

I took a picture in the Evora because, well, honestly, I didn't think there'd be enough space there.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Allan Gibbs
Advanced

Did I ever mention that I went with a 2 year lease on the Boxster S. Now that my lease ends in 3 months, I'm asking myself the same question again. This time, the new Boxster is out but so is the supercharges Evora -which addresses my biggest issues from two years ago.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Boxster S. There is no substitute.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

One thing to consider regarding any Lotus, from the standpoints of value retention and parts/service availability - with the recent firing of their CEO (who's suing for wrongful termination) and the cancellation of all new model plans, coupled with rumors that the owner is shopping the company - I'd be very cautious about a significant Lotus purchase right now.

Though they do sound like a blast to drive...
Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Ronnie981
Intermediate

For me it would be a no-brainer because the Boxster S is a convertible. The best answer for you is to go test drive a new Boxster S. Mine is a 2013 Boxster S with PDK, pretty loaded. This car, taking everything into consideration, is the most fun car that i have ever owned. I drive 18K a year, many of which are miles over the canyons here in So Cal. Oh, by the way, I have owned 10 Vettes, 2 Ferraris, a Viper, a Nissan Z car, 2 911's, and on and on. Thsi Boxster S is just a blast. It is only the 2nd non 3 pedal car that I have owned in the last 26 years (Ferrari F430 Spider being the other), but I can say without a doubt that the PDK is the way to go.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 968 Likes on 457 Posts

Having owned plenty of Porsches and a Lotus Elise which I loved, dare I say the 981 out handles the Elise. Don't know if the numbers support that statement, but it feels that way when you're carving a mountain road.

I wouldn't drive any Lotus daily, but that's what I'm doing with the 981 and loving every minute.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Having owned plenty of Porsches and a Lotus Elise which I loved, dare I say the 981 out handles the Elise. Don't know if the numbers support that statement, but it feels that way when you're carving a mountain road.

I wouldn't drive any Lotus daily, but that's what I'm doing with the 981 and loving every minute.
Do you know the curb weight of your Lotus? I've seen one in my area and it looked really lightweight.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Flyntgr
AutoX

I owned a Lotus Elise SC over 18 months, but just traded it on a Boxster S on Sept. 1st.The Elise was the most fun driving a car that I have ever driven, including even my Spec Miata race car and four Vipers. BUT, I sold the Elise because it is too hard to get in and out of. The Evora should be much better in that regard. BUT do NOT underrate the luxury of having a great dealership system to support your exotic/foreigh/limited number sports car. I live mid-way between Houston and Atlanta, which were the only 2 Lotus dealerships within a day's drive of my home. The Lotus quality and workmanship are not up to Porsche standards IMO. Considering the shakiness of Lotus manufacturing and support, I would strongly suggest you find a Porsche you like as well as the Lotus. I did love my Lotus, but was afraid of it breaking without dealership support (it was still under warranty, but what good is that if you're a full day's drive fromthe dealership-and who knows when they will stop importing the Lotus like they quit importing the Elise.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Allan Gibbs
Advanced

I was one of the first Elise owners in AZ. So, I'm familiar with a Lotus but I a concerned about their health. This is pretty recent:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar136106.html
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 968 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Do you know the curb weight of your Lotus? I've seen one in my area and it looked really lightweight.
Just under 2,000 lbs.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:41 AM
JoeBoxer
Cruisin'

As much as I love my Porsches, the fact is, that the Toyota engine is and will be more reliable than a Porsche engine playing Russian roulette with IMS failure and other nonsense. My 34 year old 911's have been more reliable than most 996's and 997's. 2016 911 Gt3's are being recalled, to do engine swaps, really? We love our Porsches but we pay $$$$$ to keep them running.

Quick Reply: Boxster S or Lotus Evora?