Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake flush failure for new owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:17 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

If the fluid hasn't been changed for a long time, the piston and the master cylinder would have developed some residue deposits. Then once you started bleeding the system, the piston would have lodged deep into the cylinder, thus scratching both the cylinder and the piston. That is why it is always a good practice NOT to press the brake pedals fully to the floor in order to prevent piston/cylinder scoring. Using the Motive bleeder would have avoided this potential problem. But once you started using the brake pedal bleeding method, it is always good practice to lodge a piece of wood to prevent the pedal sinking all the way down to the floor.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:10 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman-Wa
iCarScan tool is on the way. Thanks for the helpful input.
I have a 981CS and originally purchased the iCarsoft PorII to reset the oil service. I later bought the newer iCarsoft POR V2.0 which also has the ABS bleeding function and the function to initialize the battery. The battery initialization function worked when I upgraded my original 70 ah battery to a 92ah battery but I have not yet tried the ABS bleeding function. You can find both versions of the iCarsoft currently on sale just make sure you get the POR V2.0 version.
Jim
Old 10-31-2020, 10:32 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I have the Durametric and it has the same function to activate the ABS pump. However, I never were able to get it to work. Mine is the enthusiast model. Perhaps the pro version might work.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:57 PM
Tman-Wa
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: My mojo has returned😎 thanks to the helpful Porsche enthusiasts on this site. I purchased the iCarScan; Put a liter of brake fluid in my Motive; and charged the master cylinder to 25-30psi, which the maintenance manual specified. I then followed the procedures posted here https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...pedal-fix.html
My results and ABS activation followed exactly as described that write-up. A small amount of air came out. Put everything back together and brakes work like normal. I am really surprised that such a small amount of air, gave me so much trouble. Glad to have resolved it without having to replace the master cylinder. Really appreciate those of you that made suggestions. Thanks.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tman-Wa:
hion (10-30-2021), Larry L (11-15-2020), Titanium5150 (11-15-2020), TMc993 (11-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Brake flush failure for new owner