Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seems to be a lot of basic 981C builds for sale online

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:28 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Seems to be a lot of basic 981C builds for sale online

I am still leaning towards getting a 981 Cayman.
I check the usual sites almost daily to see what is out there and I've noticed there are a ton of cars with some really basic builds.... The one thing I think is a must have (besides being white or silver) and that is the sport design steering wheel, I'm surprised and sad to see so many caymans without them. I usual stop looking at the car once I see the regular wheel....it just makes the interior look a little dated when compared the the sport design wheel and it doesn't even have paddles for PDK???
X73 seems to be impossible to find, which is shocking considering how cheap of an option it was and what it does for the cars looks and handling....I think it was only a $1200 option and well worth it. Surprised how most cars don't have it.

Is there just a bunch of lease returns on the market right now with minimal options?

Even some of the Cayman S examples are very lightly optioned.....although it seems the best deals right now seem to be on the Cayman S as far as what it stickered for and what it is listed for today.

Surprised to see so many cars without some really good options like PSE, X73, PASM, and especially the sport design wheel like I mentioned...it also seems most of the interiors are all monotone in black or tan.....there are a couple base models out there with the Sport Design Aerokit which really looks good, gives the GTS look and is $20k less expensive....If I was ready to buy today those would be the first ones I seriously would look into.

Too bad there isn't an aftermarket company that sales the GTS style replacement grills with the LED strips to swap out for the regular ones.

No offense to anybody without any of the options I mention, this is just my personal taste and the car is awesome even in its barest form....I just wish there were more nicely optioned ones on the market.....hopefully there will be once I finally hit it.

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 06-04-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

That’s one of the main reasons I got a GTS. And it took 9 months to find with the proper options.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Hoss33
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

Took me over a year to find what I wanted. Very specific in my wish list, and like you said, many are low spec builds. Picked my Cayman S up feb. of 2018 and it has been an amazing car!
Agate Grey, PTV, SC, Pasm, ,manual, Carrera red leather, sport seats plus, etc 👌

Hold out for the right one, it will all be worth it!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hoss33
Took me over a year to find what I wanted. Very specific in my wish list, and like you said, many are low spec builds. Picked my Cayman S up feb. of 2018 and it has been an amazing car!
Agate Grey, PTV, SC, Pasm, ,manual, Carrera red leather, sport seats plus, etc ��

Hold out for the right one, it will all be worth it!
pics please

yeah, I usually search for almost a year when I buy a third car.... I've seen a couple good ones so far, but they don't last long...

There is a clean low mile white one with the SD aerokit but with blue interior that I really like, but could get a slightly higher mileage S for same price... not sure I'm feeling the blue interior, although it is unique

Going put a few bucks into my NSX and probably put it up on BaT and see what she fetches... a nice silver 91 went today for like $57k

To me the must must haves are sports design steering wheel, 20" Carrera S wheels with x73 ...preferred color is white, but silver, grey, yellow or blue will work if the spec and price is right in any form (base or S) things I really want(besides just a GTS) but could maybe live without are x73 ,PSE, Sport Design Aerokit, warranty and 6 speed. (Good luck)

part of the fun in buying a new toy is the hunt, so I don't mind taking my time......
Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm glad I threw the SD wheel on at the last minute. It's a cheap option that gets 10x more expensive to add after the fact. It's a little plasticky compared to the newer GT wheels, but still looks way better than the standard.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:12 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 325 Posts

Agreed on well optioned base Caymans being hard to find. I still consider myself one of the luckiest guys on the planet when I found mine. I'd looked rather casually before, but never at the Porsche CPO site. Really didn't think it was in the cards for me to go Porsche and consigned myself to upping the budget some and buying a new Mustang GT so I could get a warranty. Was planning to go to the dealer on a Saturday to make the deal and haphazardly found the Porsche CPO site on a Google search at work. Twenty minutes later I was already off the phone with the sales ambassador and working on a plane ticket for a look/see. Ten days later I flew back with girlfriend and picked it up on the big 70th anniversary day, visited PEC Atlanta, and drove the Talladega Scenic Byway.

What was I so lucky to find?

2015 Cayman
Black
Manual tranny
PTV
19" Cayman S wheels
PASM
Sport Chrono
PSE
SportDesign steering wheel
Seat ventilation
Sirius XM
Convenience package

The black is beautiful. For me, I couldn't imagine a better personal build at this price point. The black is a royal pain in the *** though. I've looked pretty much weekly for another in a different color and there are none. Give up the options and there's enough. Never seen any color with this set of options. I'm okay with the black now. I can wash and detail with the best. I use it less than I would be driving that Mustang GT, but that just makes me appreciate and enjoy it much more when I do. Enjoy the search and best of luck finding the one.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I am still leaning towards getting a 981 Cayman.
I check the usual sites almost daily to see what is out there and I've noticed there are a ton of cars with some really basic builds.... The one thing I think is a must have (besides being white or silver) and that is the sport design steering wheel, I'm surprised and sad to see so many caymans without them. I usual stop looking at the car once I see the regular wheel....it just makes the interior look a little dated when compared the the sport design wheel and it doesn't even have paddles for PDK???
X73 seems to be impossible to find, which is shocking considering how cheap of an option it was and what it does for the cars looks and handling....I think it was only a $1200 option and well worth it. Surprised how most cars don't have it.

Is there just a bunch of lease returns on the market right now with minimal options?

Even some of the Cayman S examples are very lightly optioned.....although it seems the best deals right now seem to be on the Cayman S as far as what it stickered for and what it is listed for today.

Surprised to see so many cars without some really good options like PSE, X73, PASM, and especially the sport design wheel like I mentioned...it also seems most of the interiors are all monotone in black or tan.....there are a couple base models out there with the Sport Design Aerokit which really looks good, gives the GTS look and is $20k less expensive....If I was ready to buy today those would be the first ones I seriously would look into.

Too bad there isn't an aftermarket company that sales the GTS style replacement grills with the LED strips to swap out for the regular ones.

No offense to anybody without any of the options I mention, this is just my personal taste and the car is awesome even in its barest form....I just wish there were more nicely optioned ones on the market.....hopefully there will be once I finally hit it.
As far as I know the only 981's to have proper paddles for the PDK are the GTS models. The rest got the stupid steering wheel buttons.

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding volume of base models and basic configurations. Many people want to stretch their finances and own a Porsche. A base, basic Boxster or Cayman is the cheapest way to get there. A dealership with enough lot space will probably have a bunch of them on the lot to entice someone to take the plunge on a lease.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You can add X73 and PSE after the fact, although I would just get a good aftermarket exhaust rather than PSE, which seems too artificial to my ears.

The base steering wheel works great with a manual transmission. So there!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
You can add X73 and PSE after the fact, although I would just get a good aftermarket exhaust rather than PSE, which seems too artificial to my ears.

The base steering wheel works great with a manual transmission. So there!
+1. IMHO, not getting a car because of a base steering wheel is easily remedied by getting it later. Even the PTV which isn't too stout to begin with, you can just get a Guards Diff later which will last. If getting PDK, agree Sport Chrono is a must-have.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I can vouch for all of the above.

About 2 weeks ago, scored this 981 Base Cayman w/CPO, PDK, at a KILLER price right here in my home town.

I was on the hunt for a 2012 CS car.. got tired of waiting for the right one. There is just too few of 'em.
Watched the 981 market crater a bit and then this one popped up so I jumped on it.

I decided to get this car and do all those upgrades (sport steering wheel, X-73 etc..) on my own.

Very pleased with the performance of the car with the PDK in Manual+Sport modes.
For whatever reason this car performed better than the few 2012 CS Caymans I test drove.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:39 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 981.CS
+1. IMHO, not getting a car because of a base steering wheel is easily remedied by getting it later. Even the PTV which isn't too stout to begin with, you can just get a Guards Diff later which will last. If getting PDK, agree Sport Chrono is a must-have.
I grew very frustrated over a year of looking for a manual S with my desired build. I didn’t even care that much about exterior color (just no yellow- too much attention). I had X73, PSE and Sport Chrono as my minimum baseline. It was impossible to find. I ultimately went with a car that was modified by the owner- TPC suspension mods and camber plates, Fabspeed exhaust, Guards diff, etc. and I couldn’t be happier.
I am of course biased but I think these mods basically push the basic Cayman S to a whole new level for track work, while keeping it
looking very subtle.
So for the OP, don’t be afraid of the aftermarket for these cars, especially if you are out of warranty already.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:07 PM
5teve
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the steering wheel. I was able to find my Cayman S last year with everything I wanted except for the wheel (Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PSE, 20" wheels, 18-way seats). Pretty much fully loaded including Burmeister stereo. The only thing it didn't have was the sport steering wheel. I went ahead and changed it to one of the newer style wheels.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Four Ring Circus
I grew very frustrated over a year of looking for a manual S with my desired build. I didn’t even care that much about exterior color (just no yellow- too much attention). I had X73, PSE and Sport Chrono as my minimum baseline. It was impossible to find. I ultimately went with a car that was modified by the owner- TPC suspension mods and camber plates, Fabspeed exhaust, Guards diff, etc. and I couldn’t be happier.
I am of course biased but I think these mods basically push the basic Cayman S to a whole new level for track work, while keeping it
looking very subtle.
So for the OP, don’t be afraid of the aftermarket for these cars, especially if you are out of warranty already.
sounds sick! Any pics? How do you like the TPC???

Originally Posted by Cayman-S Crush
I can vouch for all of the above.

About 2 weeks ago, scored this 981 Base Cayman w/CPO, PDK, at a KILLER price right here in my home town.

I was on the hunt for a 2012 CS car.. got tired of waiting for the right one. There is just too few of 'em.
Watched the 981 market crater a bit and then this one popped up so I jumped on it.

I decided to get this car and do all those upgrades (sport steering wheel, X-73 etc..) on my own.

Very pleased with the performance of the car with the PDK in Manual+Sport modes.
For whatever reason this car performed better than the few 2012 CS Caymans I test drove.
Nice!!Love the 987, but the looks of the 981 inside and out just are just so much better imo that I just wouldn't even consider the 987

My first NSX was black and beautiful, but it was just so hard to keep her clean for longer than a day...my second one was silver and was so much easier to keep clean. My current one is also black after finding one I just couldn't pass up, but I wrapped it pearl white shortly after buying her with my fantasy football winnings.(I had a good year) and love how easy it is to keep clean.

i haven't taken black completely off my list, but it's definitely not my top choice....

congrats on the 981!!!

Took this pic with my phantom 3 4K drone

the roof (canopy) and the carbon Type R wing are the original color ....the rest is wrapped. Always wanted that Type-R look.

Originally Posted by 5teve
I wouldn't worry too much about the steering wheel. I was able to find my Cayman S last year with everything I wanted except for the wheel (Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PSE, 20" wheels, 18-way seats). Pretty much fully loaded including Burmeister stereo. The only thing it didn't have was the sport steering wheel. I went ahead and changed it to one of the newer style wheels.

Nice! If you don't mind how much did the wheel and install cost?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:28 PM
5teve
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice! If you don't mind how much did the wheel and install cost?
I purchased the wheel and airbag for around $1500 if I recall correctly. I also had to buy the adapter so that the functions would work (~$400). Not inexpensive, but still worth it. Install was at least free for me as I did the install myself.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5teve
I purchased the wheel and airbag for around $1500 if I recall correctly. I also had to buy the adapter so that the functions would work (~$400). Not inexpensive, but still worth it. Install was at least free for me as I did the install myself.
Thanks! Yeah, not cheap but worth it.
i thought I read somewhere that the dealer has to install it because of coding issues... probably what the adapter is for. Looks great!

Quick Reply: Seems to be a lot of basic 981C builds for sale online