Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Martin Poirier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Steering

I just bought a 2014 Cayman Base. Is there a way to make the steering lighter? I find it hard to drive in the city sometimes. I looked in the menus but didn't find anything.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a base Cayman and the steering (and clutch) is heavier than the average modern car. Personally I strongly prefer the heavier feel and I suspect you may get used to it eventually. The more typical lighter steering found in most new cars to me seems numb and artificial. Even fragile. Unless your Cayman has a mechanical issue with the power assist, you are pretty much stuck with the heavy steering. Keep your tires fully inflated and check to be sure the previous owner has not swapped out the OEM front tires for something with a wider tread.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:59 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here. That is the first thing I noticed when I first test drove a Cayman. Coming from a Mercedes Sedan, it's even more obvious. But, believe me, its not a bad thing when you're hitting that canyon run.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Moman
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have an option to get the Porsche Power Steering Plus to be retrofitted from your dealer.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSP.html
I am on the fence with this option myself. But trying to get use to the stiffer steering since it's only my weekend ride.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:22 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

It's intentional, feels good, and is not that stiff compared to other sports cars I've driven. I think my old E46 was stiffer, even. But yeah the only change would be steering plus, mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Stiff Steering