Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder Door Panel Warp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 01:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
HEre's mine from a '14 Cayman S.. I have an appt with the dealer on Wed to get replaced.. I've got 2 months of warranty left
If they’re replacing the piece try to find out if the part number has changed between old and new. That will help identify if an update was made.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:27 PM
kechal
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 981 warped door panela

2014 981

2014 981

2014 981
As you can see from the pictures , mine are bad. Started just a few months out if warranty: i tried to velcro them down but no good. Very disappointed in Porsche for not fixing this problem.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Wow, I had no idea. Can’t believe Porsche doesn’t admit this is a manufacturing/design defect. No kind of “misuse” or “accident” could possibly cause this. Did you try arguing this to the dealer for a courtesy warranty fix just out of warranty?

So is it only a matter of time, or a bad production batch? Only Boxsters, or Caymans too? Only 981 or 991 too? Feel bad for the owners who experience this but at the same time one more reason to feel good for choosing a 987 over a 981.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:56 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

See the two messages below. This option may be useful for those of you with warped panels on cars that are out of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS
UNEEKONE Steve has some 981 panels. PM him and see what he has.

Response by UNEEKONE:

Thank you sir for the tag. Yes. I have over a dozen sets of panels that we’ve been remanufacturing. We can offer you a remanufactured panel and keep yours as a core or remanufacture your panel if it has special options or trim that we currently don’t have in stock. Turn around time is less than two weeks. I offer a 1 year warranty but it will definitely outlast the factory built panels and be solid for many years. Reman’ed panels are $250 each and we keep yours as cores or $150 each if you ship your panel to us. You pay shipping both ways. Send me a PM if you’re interested.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:06 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Wow, I had no idea. Can’t believe Porsche doesn’t admit this is a manufacturing/design defect. No kind of “misuse” or “accident” could possibly cause this. Did you try arguing this to the dealer for a courtesy warranty fix just out of warranty?

So is it only a matter of time, or a bad production batch? Only Boxsters, or Caymans too? Only 981 or 991 too? Feel bad for the owners who experience this but at the same time one more reason to feel good for choosing a 987 over a 981.
According to the SA at my dealer, it affects both 981 and 991. No rhyme or reason as far as I know. No idea on what the failure rate truly is, as of course the only people that will complain on the forums have had the issue.. BTW, I had one of mine replaced that was fairly minor compared to this pic above..
Old 06-28-2019, 07:26 PM
slim2013
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fgv1it

See the two messages below. This option may be useful for those of you with warped panels on cars that are out of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS
UNEEKONE Steve has some 981 panels. PM him and see what he has.

Response by UNEEKONE:

Thank you sir for the tag. Yes. I have over a dozen sets of panels that we’ve been remanufacturing. We can offer you a remanufactured panel and keep yours as a core or remanufacture your panel if it has special options or trim that we currently don’t have in stock. Turn around time is less than two weeks. I offer a 1 year warranty but it will definitely outlast the factory built panels and be solid for many years. Reman’ed panels are $250 each and we keep yours as cores or $150 each if you ship your panel to us. You pay shipping both ways. Send me a PM if you’re interested.
I have a 991.1 with a warped passenger side. And the driver's side looks like it will soon follow.

Can you help me out with a reman? I can't PM because I'm a new member.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:27 PM
kyracedog
Rennlist Member

My 2014 Cayman S is starting to warp on the passenger door. Took it to dealer, car is CPO, have appointment for replacement in 2 weeks. Hope the driver side does not start soon. Car is typically in the garage, but yesterday was out in 90 degree heat all day so it really showed up when the service adviser looked at it.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:59 PM
NA6
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of you are absolutely correct in your assumptions...

What you are looking at is the foam delaminating from the plastic substrate. This is caused by heat and humidity exposure over time (expansion and contraction of the skin (skin is the a-class surface you touch), foam and substrate plus the migration of plasticizers through the assembly break down the adhesion of the foam to the substrate. Thus you get foam and skin lifting from the substrate looking like a wrapped door upper.

During the assembly of this door upper the foam is injected between the skin and the substrate to give you the soft feeling when you push on the door upper. The down turn flange of the skin that you see exposed looks to be relatively short (guessing based on what I see maybe 10mm) This is not enough to hold the skin down in design position. The hot southern states and the Gulf coast countries usually experience this sort of failure first...this maybe changing to more northern areas depending on future climate events.

If UNEEKONE has a method to repair the door upper I would explore it. I'm not sure what the process is or what adhesives he may be using but it is worth a try, just be sure to ask what exactly is being done to bond the surfaces back together.

Anyone with a leather door upper will not have this issue as the construction of that door upper is different. It is a foam layer (2-3mm) bonded to the substrate with the leather wrapped over the top. This does not have the same failure mode.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:48 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by slim2013
I have a 991.1 with a warped passenger side. And the driver's side looks like it will soon follow.

Can you help me out with a reman? I can't PM because I'm a new member.
I have sent a private message to UNEEKONE. Let's wait for a reply.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:56 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Another advantage of full leather interior.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:18 PM
slim2013
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by fgv1it
I have sent a private message to UNEEKONE. Let's wait for a reply.
Thanks. I'm thinking I may have to find a local upholstery shop.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:19 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Just an update.. have a 14 S and same issue.. dealer said they will replace under CPO they ordered the panels.... but telling me that headlight issues are not covered.. other people
saying the other way around....headlight is covered but not the warp... wth... lol
Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

What’s the headlight issue?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:52 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
Just an update.. have a 14 S and same issue.. dealer said they will replace under CPO they ordered the panels.... but telling me that headlight issues are not covered.. other people
saying the other way around....headlight is covered but not the warp... wth... lol
Seems like a dealer by dealer call.. In my case the dealer was probably angling for future business, so they covered my headlights.. and I wasnt about to argue.. Maybe try a different dealer?

Originally Posted by hf1
Do a search for 981 headlight delamination.. lots of threads and pics..
Old 07-12-2019, 12:13 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Seems like a dealer by dealer call.. In my case the dealer was probably angling for future business, so they covered my headlights.. and I wasnt about to argue.. Maybe try a different dealer?
Do a search for 981 headlight delamination.. lots of threads and pics..
thanks Saabin.. panel wont come in til 7/29 will get that done .. and call around for the headlights

Originally Posted by hf1
here you go..

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Door Panel Warp?