Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2, vague shifting action, lurching on 3-2 downshift

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 06:04 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 987.2, vague shifting action, lurching on 3-2 downshift

Just took delivery of '11 base Cayman on Tuesday! Drove it from Phoenix AZ to Laurel MS, so far... Still long way back to Providence!

I knew that due to engine layout and remoteness of shifter from the transmission meant that shift action would be less precise vs. my daily BRZ or my old S2000. But as I am acclimating to it I'm also coming to the conclusion that I have to make it better...
Also, many times while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd the car seems to lurch a bit, as if there's some kind of driveline disconnect. I'm not the best at heel/toe downshifting but I have been tracking and instructing at the track for a LONG time and I don't think it's my technique. Something weird is happening, but not every time. And upshifts are always clean. Thoughts? DMF?

I'm all ears as to opinions on which way to go to improve the shifting feel and possibly reduce throw travel.

I'm gathering that the Numeric cables can be noisy, but maybe offer more precision and reduced throws? Other main option for more $$$ appears to be updated Porsche factory cables and brackets. I see pluses and minuses either way...

For a short-shift kit, I'm on the fence whether it's worth it. I don't necessarily mind longish throws, but on my car they seem *really* long relative to what I'm used to and while it's apart I wouldn't mind reducing them by maybe 1/3 or so.

I will continue to search but if anyone has some insight feel free to share.
Thanks!
dan
Old 03-30-2019, 06:11 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Do the factory cable.

Quick Reply: 987.2, vague shifting action, lurching on 3-2 downshift