Notices

Lifting rear with rhinoramps, how should I lift the font?

Old 03-19-2019, 05:05 PM
ARC Driver
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting rear with rhinoramps, how should I lift the font?

Hello,

I got some rhinoramps to lift the rear of my 987 Cayman S for oil changes but they are much shorter than my jack stands. What could I use to lift up the front of the car 5-6 inches to match the rear?
Old 03-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Jim137a
User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack the front of the car up from the recommended lift points and place blocks of wood under the front tires.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 PM
ARC Driver
User

Originally Posted by Jim137a View Post
Jack the front of the car up from the recommended lift points and place blocks of wood under the front tires.
Is there any danger of the vehicle rolling without chalks in front of the front wheels?
Old 03-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Jim137a
User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Id nail or screw a few 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 s together to get the height youre looking for and then Id screw or nail a chock if front of the tire and a chock at the rear of the tire. Youre looking to form sort of a cradle.

Heres a poor sketch of of what Im suggesting - the black rectangles represent the 2 x 6s and the red squares represent the chocks.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM
kiznarsh
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get another set of ramps and lift using the recommended points. You could do this incrementally by placing wood under the left tire after lifting it a few inches, then jack the right side up and place one ramp underneath, then jack the left side again until the other ramp fits.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:40 PM
85Gold
Super User

Id nail or screw a few 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 s together to get the height youre looking for and then Id screw or nail a chock if front of the tire and a chock at the rear of the tire. Youre looking to form sort of a cradle.

Heres a poor sketch of of what Im suggesting - the black rectangles represent the 2 x 6s and the red squares represent the chocks.
You stole my design. Inexpensive, easy and safe.

Peter
Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 PM
85Gold
Super User

You stole my design. Inexpensive, easy and safe.

Peter
Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM
catamount
User

With 4 cars in my household, I got tired of playing the game with jacks and jack stands for the big and small jobs, especially the Cayman oil change. So, I bought a QuickJack 5000SLX from Costco when it was on sale last month. Honestly, I am kicking myself for being a cheapskate and not buying it a long time ago!

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html
Old 03-27-2019, 04:12 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catamount View Post
With 4 cars in my household, I got tired of playing the game with jacks and jack stands for the big and small jobs, especially the Cayman oil change. So, I bought a QuickJack 5000SLX from Costco when it was on sale last month. Honestly, I am kicking myself for being a cheapskate and not buying it a long time ago!

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html
Is there a mechanical device of some sort holding it in its extended position? Toothed rail or similar? Can't just be hydraulics, right?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM
catamount
User

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC View Post
Is there a mechanical device of some sort holding it in its extended position? Toothed rail or similar? Can't just be hydraulics, right?
Correct, there is a lock bar on each of the lifts to provide a mechanical lock at mid-lift and full lift.

I've circled it in this photo.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:15 AM
badabing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have one of these also. Pretty nifty.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:21 AM
GBSCaptain
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got one also and have been very happy with it. Would definitely buy it again. Home Depot recently had these online for 30% off.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:18 PM
gla
User

I also have the quickjack 5000. It stores in about the same amount of space as the ramps you are using. The best thing is that they get your car high enough that you can actually get under there, roll around, and see what you are doing. I also own jack point jack stands as well as craftsman jack stands neither of which I ever use anymore. If I was starting over, the quickjack is all I would buy. So simple, so safe, and so high of the floor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: