Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S - track-worthiness?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 AM
egparson202
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 Cayman S - track-worthiness?

Hello all!

This is my first post, but after hours of reading I feel confident I’ll gain valuable insight from your responses. Thanks in advance. [EDIT - I actually posted in the Perfromance Driving/Racing Forum as well, but it know I need this group’s feedback as well.]

I’m considering the purchase of a 981 Cayman S to serve as a track car. Having driven them on the street, I’m optimistic about their suitability but I want to confirm before making the move.

To meet my definition of track-worthiness for purposes of this discussion the car must be:
  • safe - I have plans to do seats, harnesses & half cage
  • fun - It must be emotionally rewarding to drive
  • fast - I know, this is relative and nearly impossible to reach consensus - so let’s use mid-pack in an instructor run group as the measuring stick; HPDE instructing or possibly Time Trialing is where I see myself using this car
  • reliable - capable of withstanding a weekend’s worth of 30 minute sessions at Road Atlanta, VIR and other hot places we all enjoy without overheating, fading, failing, destroying tires or otherwise shutting down
Other important criteria for me:
  • street-legal - I’ll be driving to/from the track - a tire trailer is where I hope to draw the line
  • creature comforts - I’m not especially concerned about NVH, but I do plan to retain heat, AC and stereo
As I said, I’m optimistic and excited about this. I’d appreciate hearing your experiences and observations. I’d also very much like to hear your thoughts on the necessary upgrades (if any) to reach achieve these objectives.

Last edited by egparson202; 01-21-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Based on what I have observed in our local HPDE community, the 981 Cayman S is the weapon of choice when moving up from older model Porsches. That is unless you have the coin to get into a GT3 or GT4. I drive a base 981 Cayman 6-speed as a street legal, but otherwise pretty much dedicated track car. It has survived about 100 track days so far. Upgrades include seats, roll bar and harnesses, center radiator, Girodisc rotors and PFC pads, and front camber plates. The car has the X73 suspension, which I love, however many folks are happy with PASM and a DSC controller. Just had installed a Numeric shifter and cables, which adds some nice feel and precision. I would definitely plan on the center radiator sooner rather than later. You may be able to get by with the stock brake rotors (or their equivalent Sebro slotted style) for awhile at least.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 PM
egparson202
Intermediate

Thanks. Your recommendations (center radiator, modest brake and suspension upgrades) seem entirely within reason to me. I'm getting really excited about making this move.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Great platform, but yes do center radiator and at least Pagid/PFC pads if you have much track experience. GT3 control arms for camber, also
Old 01-22-2019, 03:43 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've also heard folks mention the 987.2 over the 981 due to the difference in repair cost/frame, similar performance. Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by egparson202
As I said, I’m optimistic and excited about this. I’d appreciate hearing your experiences and observations. I’d also very much like to hear your thoughts on the necessary upgrades (if any) to reach achieve these objectives.

Originally Posted by daylorb
I've also heard folks mention the 987.2 over the 981 due to the difference in repair cost/frame, similar performance. Any thoughts?
The 981 aluminum parts are more expensive to fix, especially the shock tower issue. The aluminum tub/fiber clam on the Lotus is originally why I went 987.2, because as you know, excursions happen when pushing.
Two pretty good undercarriage excursions later in the 987.2, one strong enough to puncture the frunk pan, and zero damage to the structural steel chassis/suspension. It's a tank.
If you're doing DE ie. not max effort time attack, and not the type to have offs, the 981 shouldn't be any different than a 987.2 (if with PDK, a cooler added)
If you're not worried about being the fastest guy on the track, the 6sp. 987.2 base is the track day deal right now. Strong chassis, stout 9A1 engine/trans. and relatively inexpensive to get in to.
Get 3rd radiator, PDK cooler if PDK, 18" OZ on NT01/RE71R, track pads, fluid and alignment and switch to 5w-50 M1. (10,000+ track miles on 987.2)

Last edited by A432; 01-22-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

^all good advice. I prefer the 981S's slight bump in power and (to me) looks, but 987.2 base is a deal right now. Probably $15k+ less.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:58 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

For last season I finally bought a modern car for my track day weapon, I went from a prepared 1971 911 to a 2014 Cayman S. The mods I did were seats (Recaro Sportster CS), Roll Bar (Cantrell), Belts (Schroth) and then the tarett upper mounts to get more camber in front and LCA's in the back. Ran on 18" RE71-Rs, and Pagid pads for around 12 days of track time, many of them with two drivers, and the car was super fun to drive, very rewarding, and fantastic.

This winter I put an X73 suspension on it as well, I'm super curious to see how that works out.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 AM
egparson202
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ramans
For last season I finally bought a modern car for my track day weapon, I went from a prepared 1971 911 to a 2014 Cayman S. The mods I did were seats (Recaro Sportster CS), Roll Bar (Cantrell), Belts (Schroth) and then the tarett upper mounts to get more camber in front and LCA's in the back. Ran on 18" RE71-Rs, and Pagid pads for around 12 days of track time, many of them with two drivers, and the car was super fun to drive, very rewarding, and fantastic.

This winter I put an X73 suspension on it as well, I'm super curious to see how that works out.

This sounds like the exact formula I’ll be pursuing. I’m still just a little unclear one thing though. How much negative camber can you get on the front with camber plates or the Tarett mounts? I’m thinking I want to be around the -3 front, -2 rear. Can you post your alignment specs?

Last edited by egparson202; 01-24-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: fixed auto-correct mis-spelling
Old 01-23-2019, 08:45 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

How much negative camber can you get on the front with camber plates or the Target mounts? I’m thinking I want to be around the -3 front, -2 rear. Can you post your alignment specs?
Your experience may vary but on X73 with the rather stiff rear ARB that it has that would be a big delta in F:R camber. There is quite a bit of turn in oversteer from the factory, and that is with much more rear camber than front. (I believe OEM alignment hovers around -0.7F -1.5R) but the stickier the tires are that you put on the more front camber you can get away with. My X73 car maxes out at -2.1 degrees in the rear using stock adjustment slots, the front was around -1.8 before I added some adjustable bushings to push that to -2.4. Running a few tenths more camber in the front already makes the rear end quite loose for my tastes, I could be a little more agressive with the car if the car stayed more planted. But part of that is personal preference, and it does feel nice and pointy once you go past 2 degrees negative in the front.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

To agree with some others, I believe you need the following modest upgrades/options for your intended use:
  • Center radiator
  • X73 sport suspension option (if you can find a car with it, it's a nice mild track suspension and a nice street suspension as well)
  • Fresh DOT4 brake fluid
  • GT3 Control Arms
  • Tarret Engineering brake caliper stud kit (for routine pad swaps to keep from stripping the hub) https://www.tarett.com/items/986-987...ect-/list2.htm
  • Some kind of brake pad upgrade. I'm not a big believer in multipurpose pads if you have much track experience at all. Ones that will work for you on the track will suck on the street (noise, dust, etc) and ones that won't suck on the street will not hold up at the track. Pagid yellows play well with the OEM street pads and can be swapped out for track use. I'm a fan of the Carbotech 1521's for the street and XP10's for the track. The 1521's don't have the thermal capacity of the OEM street pads, but for the street, they are easier on rotors and dust A TON less. XP10's are not as good a compromise as a dual street track pad as the Pagid yellows, but are a better pure track pad. Plus the Carbotech offerings are cheaper.

It's a great car for your intended purpose. Have fun with it!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
To agree with some others, I believe you need the following modest upgrades/options for your intended use:
  • Center radiator
  • X73 sport suspension option (if you can find a car with it, it's a nice mild track suspension and a nice street suspension as well)
  • Fresh DOT4 brake fluid
  • GT3 Control Arms
  • Tarret Engineering brake caliper stud kit (for routine pad swaps to keep from stripping the hub) https://www.tarett.com/items/986-987...ect-/list2.htm
  • Some kind of brake pad upgrade. I'm not a big believer in multipurpose pads if you have much track experience at all. Ones that will work for you on the track will suck on the street (noise, dust, etc) and ones that won't suck on the street will not hold up at the track. Pagid yellows play well with the OEM street pads and can be swapped out for track use. I'm a fan of the Carbotech 1521's for the street and XP10's for the track. The 1521's don't have the thermal capacity of the OEM street pads, but for the street, they are easier on rotors and dust A TON less. XP10's are not as good a compromise as a dual street track pad as the Pagid yellows, but are a better pure track pad. Plus the Carbotech offerings are cheaper.

It's a great car for your intended purpose. Have fun with it!
Good call on the caliper stud kit. I did that on my car expecting to swap between street and track pads on a semi-regular basis. Turns out those Pagid Yellows (RSL29) work just fine for street use so long as you don't mind squealing like a school bus / garbage truck at every stop light. Still, the improvement of not having to replace torque-to-yield bolts which thread into an aluminum knuckle is worth the investment.

What car are you using XP10's on? I went Pagid because of the compatibility with the OE pads, but I wanted to use Carbotech. I used their Bobcat / 1521 on other cars for autocross and street use. Wasn't sure if an XP8 or XP10 would be best on my Cayman for track use. It's time for new rotors, so I'm debating switching to Carbotech pads at the same time.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921

What car are you using XP10's on? I went Pagid because of the compatibility with the OE pads, but I wanted to use Carbotech. I used their Bobcat / 1521 on other cars for autocross and street use. Wasn't sure if an XP8 or XP10 would be best on my Cayman for track use. It's time for new rotors, so I'm debating switching to Carbotech pads at the same time.
I'm using the Carbotech's on my 981s. The 1521's and XP-10's play really well together as swap out's for track use. You might be able to get away with XP-8's at the track if you are on street tires. Once you go to r-compounds my opinion is you need the 10's. Last time I checked Carbotech does not list any of their pads as an option for the 981, but they are available (website needs updating). Call Mike Jr. at Carbotech and he will take care of you.

As you are probably aware the XP-8's will be closest to your Pagid Yellows performance wise. Don't quote me, but I think the yellows are slightly better for track and the XP-8's slightly better dual purpose. You will still get the noise an dust with the XP-8's just like with your yellows though.

Also, the Carbotech's and OEM/Pagid's will not play well together due to the different compositions. So it will either need to be OEM/Pagid or 1521/XP-10, you can't mix and match unless you want to keep two sets of rotors and swap rotors at the same time.

There are of course many other pad options/combos out there. I'm just hitting the (4) pads discussed above.

Last edited by mts; 01-23-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

+2 on the caliper studs. When pulling the calipers several times a year it just makes good sense.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:18 AM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

This sounds like the exact formula I’ll be pursuing. I’m still just a little unclear one thing though. How much negative camber can you get on the front with camber plates or the Target mounts? I’m thinking I want to be around the -3 front, -2 rear. Can you post your alignment specs?
You cannot get all the way to -3 with just camber plates. I’m at -2.5 and just about maxed out. That said, my tire wear is fairly even and I drive occasionally on the street, so it’s a decent setting for me.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S - track-worthiness?