Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Porsche - 981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool My first Porsche - 981 GTS

I just bought my first Porsche - a 2016 Cayman GTS. I have been looking for one way too long and finally pulled the trigger. Apart from the standard options, it has PDK, convenience package, Bose audio, Black satin wheels, power steering plus, leather interior package, yellow steam belts.

It's a 2016 car manufactured in the 7th month of 2016 and sold in the 9th month, so the factory warranty is good until 9th month of 2020. I have looked at several Guards/Carmine red cars since that was my primary color choice, but I was unable to find one with decent paint condition and warranty, so picked up the Yellow which was my second choice.

Two things I would like to change on the car:

1) The front bumper has a number plate holder which needs to go away, but it has four holes drilled into the bumper. I don't know if bumper plugs are a good solution. If anyone has any pointers on how to make the front end better, I would appreciate it very much.

2) The vinyl stripe on the car has take a beating from the elements. You can't see it from far away, but the edges are chipping away. I would like to replace this at some point with a different decal. Can anyone recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area for this? Any ideas on what I should replace it with?

I joined PCA and subbed to the SF Bay Area thread in the regional forum. What other resources should I look at to find some spirited drives, auto cross and track events ? Looking forward to some good times in my first P car

Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 74 Posts

congrats on a beautiful car, if it were me I'd take it to a body shop (based on recommendations here for the SF area, I'm not in SF) and get the holes properly filled, prepped and painted, this would also take care of any paint chipping, dings if present.Plugs would likely look awkward. Also consider PPF for the front end all the way up and the mirrors.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by grgallo
congrats on a beautiful car, if it were me I'd take it to a body shop (based on recommendations here for the SF area, I'm not in SF) and get the holes properly filled, prepped and painted, this would also take care of any paint chipping, dings if present.Plugs would likely look awkward. Also consider PPF for the front end all the way up and the mirrors.
Thanks! The front end already has PPF, which is sad because I would have to take off the current PPF, and redo it if I want to fix the holes
Old 01-05-2019, 11:09 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Looks, good, always liked yellow..

I've used bumperplugs.com several times before, they work well and are a perfect match to your car's color.. I've had them on my black turbo, blue 987, and silver 997CS. Thankfully my new Cayman doesn't have a front plate.

The plugs blend in well in my opinion.. If you were to do a full respray of the bumper, then a PPF, vs the plugs, I vote plugs unless you just have $ to burn..

I'd plug into your local PCA region and try each of the different events and figure out the ones that appeal to you most..

Congrats!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree with saabin , try bumper plugs first. If you don’t like the look your next step is a proper body shop project. I took a prior M3 into a great shop and they charged $700 to make it look perfect (4 holes).
Old 01-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have bumper plugs on my '13 X3 which look fine, but the car isn't a Porsche and I wasn't as particular. It only required two holes to be plugged. With four holes, I know that with a nearly new (and beautiful) Cayman I would have it done right by a high end body shop. Otherwise, I'd be looking at it constantly, wondering, what if .....
Old 01-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
I'd plug into your local PCA region and try each of the different events and figure out the ones that appeal to you most..
+1 The Golden Gate Region is very active and has tons of stuff going on:

http://pca-ggr.org/

Beautiful car Congrats on your first Porsche!

Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice car! I even like the graphics. Congrats! I'm not sure if it was you that was talking about the CPO in another thread, but if so I hope you got that sorted out!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I have bumper plugs on my '13 X3 which look fine, but the car isn't a Porsche and I wasn't as particular. It only required two holes to be plugged. With four holes, I know that with a nearly new (and beautiful) Cayman I would have it done right by a high end body shop. Otherwise, I'd be looking at it constantly, wondering, what if .....
I bought bumper plugs for my BMW but never need up putting them in because the plug themselves needed larger holes to go in, and my car is dark grey so the smaller holes are barely noticeable. I will try to put on a black/yellow California plate first and see if that make it look better, if not then time for plugs or bumper re-done. I am sure the wife is going to hit a curb or a parking structure as soon as I let her drive it
Old 01-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by saabin
Looks, good, always liked yellow..

I've used bumperplugs.com several times before, they work well and are a perfect match to your car's color.. I've had them on my black turbo, blue 987, and silver 997CS. Thankfully my new Cayman doesn't have a front plate.

The plugs blend in well in my opinion.. If you were to do a full respray of the bumper, then a PPF, vs the plugs, I vote plugs unless you just have $ to burn..

Congrats!
Yeah, definitely not itching to spend $$$ immediately.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve48
Agree with saabin , try bumper plugs first. If you don’t like the look your next step is a proper body shop project. I took a prior M3 into a great shop and they charged $700 to make it look perfect (4 holes).
It will probably cost 2000 for PPF and repaint. So I will wait and see if the bumper grows on me.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by vbb
Very nice car! I even like the graphics. Congrats! I'm not sure if it was you that was talking about the CPO in another thread, but if so I hope you got that sorted out!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: My first Porsche - 981 GTS