Introduction and question about new GT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 AM
Muratti
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and question about new GT4

Hi guys,

i just registered, my name is Johannes, I live in Austria (no kangaroos) and I currently own a BMW M2 I want to sell.
I recently found a GT4 with only 57km on the clock. I will have trouble affording it as it has a steep price. The owner bought it from new and drove it once he said, just to store it in his garage after that besides some way faster heavyweights just as GT3RS, GT2RS and so on.
As I told my friend who works as mechanic at BMW about this car he told me there is a risk that if the car wasn‘t started in 2 years and you won‘t wait a good amount of time to get it warm to get the oil to all bearings etc. there could be damage made to the motor.
Now I would like to hear your opinions about that.
If i invest such a huge amount of money for a „new“ car I want it to be perfect and not to have a major risk of some motor damage from the beginning on.
Maybe some of you have more cars and do not start them very often have you every experienced troubles?
Please let me know your thoughts!
Old 12-05-2018, 02:41 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

no worries, buy it and have fun
Old 12-05-2018, 09:16 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

You shouldn't have issues with a car that new. It was a bigger deal on older cars.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

On something that has been sitting for a while my only suggestion is to kill power to the fuel pump and turn the thing over for 15 seconds or so before restoring power to the fuel pump. That will at least get oil onto the surfaces before the first firing event.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Muratti
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, good to hear! Very useful tip regarding the fuel pump, thanks!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

The mechanicals should be okay. Take the car to a trusted mechanic that has knowledge of Porsches for a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). If you decide to purchase the car do fluid change on brakes, oil and coolant and add fresh gasoline as soon as possible. You'll then be good to go and enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: Introduction and question about new GT4