Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything in particular to look at when buying a 2013 Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:54 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anything in particular to look at when buying a 2013 Boxster?

Going to look at a couple of 2013 Boxsters tomorrow in San Diego, a base and an S. Since the 2013 was the first year of the redesign, I was wondering if there are any particular things to look out for besides all the normal stuff. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:51 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Curiously enough we are flying to San Diego tomorrow lol.

I have only had my '14 Cayman S for about six months, so I would defer to the more experienced members here.

My car has been trouble free, except for the driver's headliner A pillar cover which unloosened itself about 4" yesterday morning spontaneously.

Besides the obvious, I'd look for service records and factory or better oil services, brake fluid changes per the factory or better, poorly installed after market accessories, etc.

There is a thread somewhere here on engine ticking; mine ticks when it has been sitting for a few days (e.g. spent a week out of town and it was ticking when I started it up. Went away quickly.).

When I did my research I was pleasantly surprised how few recurring problems I saw with 981s.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,480 Likes on 628 Posts

The cars are generally rock solid mechanically, but there are a few cosmetic issues that are unfortunately common and costly. Look at the tops of the door panels where they meet the windows. They have separated or warped on a lot of cars (mostly those without leather interiors). Some cars have been showing spider web cracks around the headlights in the black/grey outer ring. Mechanically, the most common ailment (not very common) has been faulty coils, but they are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. As Rich Jenkins says, check all the records, also be sure to check the over-rev report.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:13 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
The cars are generally rock solid mechanically, but there are a few cosmetic issues that are unfortunately common and costly. Look at the tops of the door panels where they meet the windows. They have separated or warped on a lot of cars (mostly those without leather interiors). Some cars have been showing spider web cracks around the headlights in the black/grey outer ring. Mechanically, the most common ailment (not very common) has been faulty coils, but they are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive. As Rich Jenkins says, check all the records, also be sure to check the over-rev report.
I will look closely at those two areas, which I may not have normally done. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:41 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Going to look at a couple of 2013 Boxsters tomorrow in San Diego, a base and an S. Since the 2013 was the first year of the redesign, I was wondering if there are any particular things to look out for besides all the normal stuff. Thanks.
My recommendations based on experiences with 2 2014 Boxsters:

Here some general tips:
- If possible, go always with a CPO, on the long run it will be cheaper
- Aim for low mileage one owner, the difference between a 50k and 20k car can be just 2-3k, is worth to pay few bucks more and have the lower mileage car
- Was already mentioned, look for a complete service record
- Look nationwide, there are some great deals outside california, you can always ship the car

Here some specific tips regarding the 981:
- Drive the car with roof up and down, listen carefully for rattles. When you test drive, you can be pretty emotional and overhear these rattles, which can be quite annoying.
- Look around the windshields, there are many reported melting of the sealing, make sure the sealing is intact
- The issue with the door wrapping was already mentioned
- Ask them to lift the car and have a visual inspection for any leaks. Of course, if this is a CPO, I don't see a big risk here.
- A visual inspection of the overall condition can tell a lot about how much love the car was given by his former owner
- Make sure the pdk shifts smootly
- Check the board computer, sometimes they dont reset and you can see the average speed of the last few thousand miles, which can tell if it was driven more city or highway
If no CPO:
- Make sure tires are decent and not some cheap brand. Make sure same type and brand on each axis, no pb if front and rear dont match.
- Make sure they have both keys, a replacement key costs roughly 500
- Make sure a fresh oil change was done at a porsche dealership (ask for proof), otherwise if you dont have an independent, it will cost you 400
- Make sure no cracks or bigger chips in the windshield
- Check everything which has a button

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:23 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I’d probably get a PPI to identify any potential maintenance issues and use the results as part of the price negotiation. The cars are well made and trouble free for the most part.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by john981
My recommendations based on experiences with 2 2014 Boxsters:

Here some general tips:
- If possible, go always with a CPO, on the long run it will be cheaper
- Aim for low mileage one owner, the difference between a 50k and 20k car can be just 2-3k, is worth to pay few bucks more and have the lower mileage car
- Was already mentioned, look for a complete service record
- Look nationwide, there are some great deals outside california, you can always ship the car

Here some specific tips regarding the 981:
- Drive the car with roof up and down, listen carefully for rattles. When you test drive, you can be pretty emotional and overhear these rattles, which can be quite annoying.
- Look around the windshields, there are many reported melting of the sealing, make sure the sealing is intact
- The issue with the door wrapping was already mentioned
- Ask them to lift the car and have a visual inspection for any leaks. Of course, if this is a CPO, I don't see a big risk here.
- A visual inspection of the overall condition can tell a lot about how much love the car was given by his former owner
- Make sure the pdk shifts smootly
- Check the board computer, sometimes they dont reset and you can see the average speed of the last few thousand miles, which can tell if it was driven more city or highway
If no CPO:
- Make sure tires are decent and not some cheap brand. Make sure same type and brand on each axis, no pb if front and rear dont match.
- Make sure they have both keys, a replacement key costs roughly 500
- Make sure a fresh oil change was done at a porsche dealership (ask for proof), otherwise if you dont have an independent, it will cost you 400
- Make sure no cracks or bigger chips in the windshield
- Check everything which has a button

Good luck!
Great information - Thanks. Also found a place for a PPI that specializes in Porsche right around the corner from dealer named Black Forest, which is highly recommended on this site.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:13 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Make sure there is no rust on the windshield frame from rock chips.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My 13 Boxster S has been a complete joy to own and drive. Absolutely zero problems. I am just about to 30,000 miles in 5 driving seasons. The windshield glass does seem a bit soft or prone to chips and the stock gauges of white numbers on a silver field is ludicrous in terms of poor contrast/visibility, but this is nit picking. It is a brilliant car!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Only thing I can add is if you suspect an accident or an electrical problem: Have the dealer check the mileage, via PIWIS, in each major electronics module. The modules record mileage since the module was installed. If original, all should match. If any differ (have a lower mileage), then it was replaced and the difference will tell you how many miles ago it was changed.

V6
Old 11-21-2018, 08:40 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

The drains for the top can and do clog. If water enters the cabin the computers are at risk. The service manager at my dealer told me that they see at least two per month with water issues from clogged drains. FYI my issue was covered under CPO, otherwise I was looking at 5k in repairs for a clogged drain

A big thank you for exceptional service from the dealership, truly outstanding!

The service advisor recommended that I garage the car instead of keeping it outside, my next one will be a Cayman 982 GT4 or 981 GTS...
Old 11-22-2018, 10:08 PM
rdsaustintx
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good advice. Porsche CPO is rock solid.

My 2015 BB had squeaky pads on the gas tank. It sat empty who-knows-how-long. When they filled it up and delivered, noise was unreal. Sounded like a wooden car. This was a reported problem until mid 2015; they have different pads now (and will replace under warranty, hard to access). There are threads here. I would want to hear it with an empty tank, then a full tank on a rough road.

(This sounds like a complaint, but is not. Waited 28 days for parts but the dealer gave me a nicely optioned 718 S loaner. Dear Lord that car was fast.)

Only problem since has been a loose nut behind the steering wheel...
Old 11-23-2018, 08:58 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by rdsaustintx
All good advice. Porsche CPO is rock solid.

My 2015 BB had squeaky pads on the gas tank. It sat empty who-knows-how-long. When they filled it up and delivered, noise was unreal. Sounded like a wooden car. This was a reported problem until mid 2015; they have different pads now (and will replace under warranty, hard to access). There are threads here. I would want to hear it with an empty tank, then a full tank on a rough road.

(This sounds like a complaint, but is not. Waited 28 days for parts but the dealer gave me a nicely optioned 718 S loaner. Dear Lord that car was fast.)

Only problem since has been a loose nut behind the steering wheel...
What and where are these “squeaky pads on the gas tank” and what do they do? Thx.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:47 PM
rdsaustintx
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

What and where are these “squeaky pads on the gas tank” and what do they do? Thx.
My understanding is they prevent the tank from rubbing on the firewall. Apparently the adhesive can fail and they come out of place.

Quick Reply: Anything in particular to look at when buying a 2013 Boxster?