Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COBB PDK Tune for a 981S with Sport Plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:26 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts
Default COBB PDK Tune for a 981S with Sport Plus

Can anyone explain what a COBB PDK Tune does for a track only 981S that has Sport Plus? Much of the benefits seem to be for cars without Sport Plus.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I have Cobb PDK software on my 981S with SC (which adds sport plus). There are a bunch of Cobb maps so it depends on what you're after. Sequential is cool because it makes the gearshifter front/back appropriate rather than our reversed logic, and also kills auto-creep when releasing brake which can be annoying on a dual clutch car. Also eliminates the kick down switch, which is good on track. At Barber I kept accidentally hitting the kick down switch and shifting to 2nd for like a split second and it sucked. Better to not have kick down. It also shifts differently. Feels faster if that's possible, but feels different. YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (02-05-2020)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

P-Addict probably knows more about this but one thing I’ve heard is that a tune can retain the sports+ redline shift behavior, but avoid the compression of throttle pedal response that occurs in sport +. In other words it is harder to modulate throttle in sport + because the “sporty” throttle response setting really just has less pedal angle range between off throttle and full throttle. I don’t have a PDK but when riding in some students cars it has seemed to me that throttle response is a bit too touchy.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:33 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks to you both. Still researching. Happy with how the PDK works now but something closer to PDK-S would be nice.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mlct
Thanks to you both. Still researching. Happy with how the PDK works now but something closer to PDK-S would be nice.
I have a 15 S pdk and Cobb pdk with the sequential Flash to it and i love it. i did not try anything else. i would say its way better with the sequential style flash, as for the other ones im not ready to try them out or understand how exactly they can help me. but im pretty sure someone else knows.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:10 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Some of the maps are more geared toward high-HP applications such as forced induction, which require higher clamping force than stock. Most people with close to stock HP (including headers, tune, normal stuff) run either sport map or sequential map, I think. I really like the gear shift programming on sport/seq. Holds gear how I'd like it in "normal" from buttons, unlike stock PDK programming.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:14 AM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 Boxster Base with the Cobb engine and PDK tune, no SC. I run the Spott PDK tune. I drive a lot in the city, and the tune really makes the car pepier. Without the tune, I have to run the Sport button all the time. With the PDK tune, normal is fine in the city and on the freeway for just puttering around. The Sport button is on for serious driving.

I’d highly recommend the PDK tune and Cobb has a 20% sale on. I can’t remember if they give a PCA discount.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:27 PM
Kemmodo
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LarryB
I have a 2014 Boxster Base with the Cobb engine and PDK tune, no SC. I run the Spott PDK tune. I drive a lot in the city, and the tune really makes the car pepier. Without the tune, I have to run the Sport button all the time. With the PDK tune, normal is fine in the city and on the freeway for just puttering around. The Sport button is on for serious driving.

I’d highly recommend the PDK tune and Cobb has a 20% sale on. I can’t remember if they give a PCA discount.
Originally Posted by Jacob Sami
I have a 15 S pdk and Cobb pdk with the sequential Flash to it and i love it. i did not try anything else. i would say its way better with the sequential style flash, as for the other ones im not ready to try them out or understand how exactly they can help me. but im pretty sure someone else knows.
I completely agree! sequential is the way to go. I have played with the others but like shifting with **** instead of paddles. I do not have SC so it gives me a Sport / Sport+ feel
Old 02-05-2020, 11:01 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 162 Posts

Couple more questions:
  • Does the Cobb PDK Tune flash the ECU or is it plug-n-play / unplug-no-play?
  • Is it strictly an update to how the PDK functions? (no affect on engine operation.. would ignore an IPD Plenum etc..)
Old 02-05-2020, 02:24 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Couple more questions:
  • Does the Cobb PDK Tune flash the ECU or is it plug-n-play / unplug-no-play?
  • Is it strictly an update to how the PDK functions? (no affect on engine operation.. would ignore an IPD Plenum etc..)
Hi,

The COBB Map for the ECU and PDK is a flash. No need to leave the device plugged in after you install it on the car. It's removable as well in the future if you need to go back to stock.
You would want to do the ECU as well as the PDK at the same time. When you purchase the device, it comes with both. You can simply run a Stage 0 (simulated stock) or Stage 1 map for the engine if you're stock.

Shoot me a message if you'd like to purchase one!
sales@bbiautosport.com

-Charles@BBi

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
zagamuffin (07-20-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 11:13 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport
Hi,

The COBB Map for the ECU and PDK is a flash. No need to leave the device plugged in after you install it on the car. It's removable as well in the future if you need to go back to stock.
You would want to do the ECU as well as the PDK at the same time. When you purchase the device, it comes with both. You can simply run a Stage 0 (simulated stock) or Stage 1 map for the engine if you're stock.

sales@bbiautosport.com

-Charles@BBi
Thanks.

I'm in the early research stage on the Cobb Tune and my car is still under CPO.. so there's still time before I'd take this leap.
Need to weight the effects/impact of a tune versus other mods like the IPD Plenum or both and whether or not my PDK can take it.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:38 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I really wish Cobb had the option to some of the pieces but not the others. I'd love
  • No Kickdown (hold the gear, thats what Manual means damnit!)
  • Reverse stick orientation
  • The equivalent mapping of the Sport Plus from sport Chrono
and nothing else, same clutch pressure, etc... Ideally I'd like it so the car functioned with the default Porsche map until I press my Sport button and then I get those features (maybe no the reversed shift that'd get confusing) given some of the PDK failures we've seen here and on Planet 9 I'd prefer to just leave as much of it stock as possible.

Unfortunately they can't do this sort of thing, I'm guessing it's complicated
Noah Fect (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Apologies in advance, I searched around but couldn't really find definitive info..

So can anyone answer the following:
  • Does my Base Cayman share the same version of the PDK as the CaymanS and GTS?
  • Is this statement accurate? "it could reliably handle 550HP / 500TQ (@ the crank)."
  • Is this statement accurate? "The clutch packs on 987/981 PDKs are the same as their NA 911 counterparts, so the clutches can handle over 400 HP."
  • Is this statement accurate? "In the 981 series, the 2.9 non-S PDK is also used in the GT4 Clubsport."
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 12:36 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport
Hi,

sales@bbiautosport.com

-Charles@BBi
Recently, there's been a small flurry of "tune posts".. so re-focusing attention on the Cobb Tune.

Just have a few more questions:
  • Is Cobb the only tune that can provide a map for the PDK? (its extra $$..understood)
  • Does the system get locked to the VIN? (like one of the other tunes) If so, is it transferrable? (e.g. I trade up to a GTS)
  • The PDK map has sparked my curiosity the most.
    I drive in manual mode (exclusively) and use the PDK Control stick for shifting.
    I've come to know my PDK really well.
    • How many different PDK maps are there?
    • What do the different PDK maps do?
    • Are they independent of the ECU maps?
    • How will it/they affect my driving experience on the street and in the canyons?

Charles if you want to take some of this offline just send a pm.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 01:48 PM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Recently, there's been a small flurry of "tune posts".. so re-focusing attention on the Cobb Tune.

Just have a few more questions:
  • Is Cobb the only tune that can provide a map for the PDK? (its extra $$..understood)
  • Does the system get locked to the VIN? (like one of the other tunes) If so, is it transferrable? (e.g. I trade up to a GTS)
    I drive in manual mode (exclusively) and use the PDK Control stick for shifting.
    I've come to know my PDK really well.
    • How will it/they affect my driving experience on the street and in the canyons?

Charles if you want to take some of this offline just send a pm.

Thanks!
I'll answer a couple:
  • Is Cobb the only tune that can provide a map for the PDK? (its extra $$..understood)- It's the only one I've heard of but I'm not an expert.
  • Does the system get locked to the VIN? (like one of the other tunes) If so, is it transferrable? (e.g. I trade up to a GTS) - It's not locked to the VIN. Uninstall and install it on another compatible car- a 981. You couldn't install it on a 718. That's why you can sell them for 80-90% of their purchase cost to someone else.
    I've come to know my PDK really well. - Check out Cobb- they explain it pretty well.
CaymanCarver (07-21-2020)

Quick Reply: COBB PDK Tune for a 981S with Sport Plus