Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB Cayman S 987.2 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

K', well someone scooped up that 2012 Cayman S in Canada.

I have not seen another 2012 Cayman S on the market since.

Currently on eBay, there are:
  • Two (2) 2012 Base Caymans
  • Two (2) 2012 Cayman R's

?: is the Cayman R any less comfortable than the Cayman S?
I understand it's had some features altered for weight reduction, but besides that.. does it ride more like a "race car" than the "S" ?

A couple of rare birds, the 2012 Cayman "S" and "R", no?
Old 12-30-2018, 09:57 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman-S Crush
?: is the Cayman R any less comfortable than the Cayman S?
I understand it's had some features altered for weight reduction, but besides that.. does it ride more like a "race car" than the "S" ?
I have a '12 Cayman S with LSD and have just ordered the Cayman R suspension upgrade kit. (And rear sway bar and bushings) Will drop you a line with my thoughts once I've had a chance to drive it a few miles; may take some time as some components are coming from Germany. I drove my S to Rennsport this past September (600-700 miles per day), and am looking forward to more road trips this summer.
One reason I pulled the trigger on the R suspension kit is that I asked another Cayman R owner if he traveled much in his. He responded that he has done several 1500+ mile trips in both his Cayman R and his Macan. He greatly prefers driving the Cayman R on his road trips -- and his wife actually prefers riding in the Cayman R.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:36 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

I have not seen another 2012 Cayman S on the market since.
Still no 2012 Cayman S (PDK) on the market.

There's been nothing close to that one that was in Canada..
Old 02-11-2019, 02:42 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 319 Posts

There's a 987.2 CS PDK for sale here in Austin with mods for track days. I believe username is jbkarter.

The intent with the Black Edition was essentially a Cayman R (330hp) but with more creature comforts... PASM instead of CR suspension, full sound deadening, selectable Sport exhaust, etc. They came with lots of options and some even have PCCB. The video is wrong about the wheels... that design never was available on a 911. Those are the Spyder/Cayman R wheels which were standard on the Black Edition and are the lightest 19" wheels Porsche has made for any road car.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Originally Posted by Zach L
There's a 987.2 CS PDK for sale here in Austin with mods for track days. I believe username is jbkarter.
Hey thanks. I believe I saw that one on Autotrader.. was listed for ~$47K but was all rubbed out on the drivers side.
Looked like it had a scrape with another car.. like a wheel had climbed up the rear quarter panel and part of the drivers door.
If it was the same car..

The Cayman R is intriguing but I already have a street legal track car in the 2008 Viper. Looking for something a little more tame.

Thanks man!.. the search continues.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 319 Posts

Hey thanks. I believe I saw that one on Autotrader.. was listed for ~$47K but was all rubbed out on the drivers side.
Looked like it had a scrape with another car.. like a wheel had climbed up the rear quarter panel and part of the drivers door.
If it was the same car..
Not sure what car that is. Here's the one I was referring to: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1126000
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

If it was the same car..

The Cayman R is intriguing but I already have a street legal track car in the 2008 Viper. Looking for something a little more tame.

Thanks man!.. the search continues.
Get the R, it handles the street just fine, will hold it's value better, and is universally one of the most well-regarded rides around. I've driven several of them, drive a Spyder which is essentially the same car. It is plenty tame - the only real drivability difference from an S is going to be the suspension. Most folks who seriously track it upgrade the suspension on it which tells you something, and many folks put the R suspension into a street S.

The suspension never has bothered me on the street.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Originally Posted by Zach L
Not sure what car that is. Here's the one I was referring to: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1126000
Oh. yea different car.
I'm really hoping for a 2012, but thanks!

Originally Posted by daylorb
Get the R, it handles the street just fine, will hold it's value better, and is universally one of the most well-regarded rides around. I've driven several of them, drive a Spyder which is essentially the same car. It is plenty tame - the only real drivability difference from an S is going to be the suspension. Most folks who seriously track it upgrade the suspension on it which tells you something, and many folks put the R suspension into a street S.
Good to know, thanks!

Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I've got an 987.1, a 987.2, and had a 981.

Putting aside the subjective looks question, the steering on a 987 is nicer than on the 981. I personally like the stripped down cabin of the 987 better than the 981. Objectively, the 981 is a more refined modern car and probably a bit quicker. OTOH, its interior looks like the Macan, the Cayenne and the 911, and I don't really get into that. The shifter on the 981 is essentially the 987's with a Porsche short shift kit as far as I can tell. The clutch on the 987 is a little lighter than on the 981. When you're in a 987 you quickly realize it was designed 10 years before the 981. That's either bad or good, depending on what you're looking for.

Having said all that, if I was looking now for a mid-engine Porsche, and found a decent price for the 981 Cayman S in the colors and options I wanted, I'd buy it. The 987.2s are more rare, they were out right after the recession and I don't think they sold all that well. I continue to think that the 981 will keep its value well for the 6 cylinder engine behind you.

So are you kind of saying people are going a bit gaga over the 987.2 mainly because it simply in shorter supply? I have never driven a 987 to be able to make the comparo. I test drove a 981 CS the other day and thought it was nice. It was PDK and no SC or PSE

Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb

+1 Put the R springs, struts and rear sway bar on my '12 CS three weeks ago; it came with an LSD. Firm but not harsh, for those folks considering this upgrade -- and a lot tighter than the stock S suspension. PS4S tires probably won't go back on until early April, so no AX or track experience yet. Looking forward to the mountain twisties this summer, as well as a prolonged road trip or two.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,791 Likes on 677 Posts

Yes, hard to come by for sure, it took me ages to get a similar car, compounded by RHD being rare in Japan.

Black, PDK, Sport Chrono, 50,000 km, no accidents on Car Sensor here.
White too...

This R is nice though as well.

All in typical Japanese, well cared for condition with religious maintenance too I would guess...
Consider exporting to where ever you are?

Neko
Old 02-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I'll have mine up for sale in the next couple weeks. I'll be selling as I prepare to move overseas.

2009 Cayman S PDK - Sport Chrono - Sport Design steering wheel 96k miles. Excellent service history, all services carried out at Porsche dealerships.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

I test drove a 2010 Cayman S PDK yesterday. Sweet car. Appeared to be well cared for..only a couple issues on walk around inspection. Priced a bit high but prolly some wiggle room there.

Then last night I got a notification on this car at Isringhausen: A CPO 2012 Cayman S PDK w/Paddles. THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I test drove a 2010 Cayman S PDK yesterday. Sweet car. Appeared to be well cared for..only a couple issues on walk around inspection. Priced a bit high but prolly some wiggle room there.

Then last night I got a notification on this car at Isringhausen: A CPO 2012 Cayman S PDK w/Paddles. THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!
I bet that does not last long! PDK with the diff lock -- very cool.

DJM
Old 02-17-2019, 11:59 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Only 50K miles, great looking car with CPO, hard to beat it.

Quick Reply: WTB Cayman S 987.2 PDK