Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay for '13 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:13 AM
javaperson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
That's terrific. I've been quite apprehensive opening up the PCM & plunking in a new circuit board, however Nick has been excellent with communication & answering questions. I have one of these on the way & plan to install over the Xmas holidays.
Did you get the reverse camera from Nick as well? What extra bits were needed for the camera to connect into PCM. I've been looking at NavTV kits b/c that's what I've seen mostly on the forum.
I did get the reverse camera from Nick as well. He included the camera (mounted to a new license plate LED) and a cable to run from the PCM to back. No additional hardware is needed - just need to solder some wires. In terms of instructions, they were a little more limited for the camera install. For example, it is not mentioned, but I used electrical tape to wrap around the composite video cable connections - I could see that the connector could loosen over time. I also used zipties to give the wires some strain-relief withoug having them dangling loose. However, overall, a fairly easy install.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:19 AM
javaperson
Intermediate

One more comment on the reverse camera install. Many of the procedures, including on youtube, mention removing plastic trim panels on the side as you snake the wire to the back. I found that I could carefully and easily route the wire and then slip it under the porsche trim with a plastic trim tool. No need to remove plastic panels and risk breaking any fasteners. The only panel that I needed to remove is the carpeted one in the back corner, in order to access the rear-light wiring and remove the rear light.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by javaperson
I just installed this carplay kit for my 981 Cayman, as well as the reverse camera. I am very happy with it. Nick was very responsive to any questions. I spent Thanksgiving installing it - Carplay took me ~2hrs. The reverse camera took about the same and it was longer than it should've been since I struggled to remove the rear tail-light (it was somewhat stuck and I did not want to break it). Anyways, I took my car for a spin today and everything worked smoothly (the backup lines in the reverse camera view even swivel with the steering wheel!). Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers,
How did you get the rear camera coded? Did you use a PIWIS scanner?
Old 12-02-2018, 01:09 PM
javaperson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mts
How did you get the rear camera coded? Did you use a PIWIS scanner?
The carplay install requires installing a new board inside the PCM - it is essentially a hack. This carplay kit has an input for rear camera, so no coding is required.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:51 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Interesting. My instructions for the same kit indicate the camera must be coded.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:42 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by javaperson
The carplay install requires installing a new board inside the PCM - it is essentially a hack. This carplay kit has an input for rear camera, so no coding is required.
javaperson - you are correct. My camera wasn't working and my camera instructions indicated the use of a coder(must have been for if you don't use the CarPlay). It turns out I had a setting incorrect in the CarPlay hidden menu. It works fine now. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:22 AM
javaperson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mts
javaperson - you are correct. My camera wasn't working and my camera instructions indicated the use of a coder(must have been for if you don't use the CarPlay). It turns out I had a setting incorrect in the CarPlay hidden menu. It works fine now. Thanks for setting me straight.
Glad you were able to get it to work. I actually had the same situation where I chose an incorrect setting in the Carplay menu. Thought there was something wrong, scratching my head, but after re-checking the menu, found the mistake and then it worked.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:28 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

A couple of pictures of mine complete. The integrated camera is a little crooked, I need to address that.

Having trouble uploading the pics......will try again later.................
Old 06-14-2021, 07:39 PM
danmay
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just logged on to try to find instructions for routing the cabling from the rear to the front. cant find any

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay for '13 Boxster