Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

spyder wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:37 PM
brur
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spyder wrap?

Playing with the idea of a vinyl wrap on my 987.2. The car is silver gray now, it's OK, a couple of light scratches. Thinking I might find the car more appealing in a different color. Am I being trailer park dumb?
Old 10-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Go for it! It’s not permanent and it’s a great way to change up the cars appearance.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by brur
Am I being trailer park dumb?
IMO, yes.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:58 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't seek the internet's approval for how you want to modify your car. If everyone did this, all our cars would look the same. Do what you think looks good and what makes you happy.

Vinyl is a fun way to change up the color for a few years. A good wrap will leave a nice finish. You can get a color that Porsche never offered in paint. It provides protection for your actual paint. It's 100% reversible once you get tired of it.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:43 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Vinyl wrapping go for 2500-3000 its a great way to change things up.

One thing I do not like about wrap though is that the installer will be removing panels, door handles, antenna, headlights/taillights, etc. to do the job correctly. Once those pieces are removed, they sometimes do not go back the same way and sometimes they are not as "factory" tight as before. Most installers are good with their trade (wrapping), not so much with "body work". Not worth the risk in my opinion.

For half the price of wrap, Liquid Wrap (dip), do not normally remove panels but need to be taped up almost perfectly to do correctly... and if the wrap is applied correctly, it's easier to remove than vinyl wrap.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Liquid Wrap is good, but the finish will not be as smooth as vinyl, which comes very close to paint. Also, if you spill any drips of gasoline on liquid wrap, it can discover it or event strip it off. I don't consider liquid wrap worth the effort and cost for a regular car... Great for a track car that frequently gets scuffed up and great for testing colors, but not as long term of a color change as vinyl.

If you're wiling to undertake this as a DIY job, then you can ensure everything goes back the way it's supposed to and it's much cheaper. I've wrapped a few cars for about $500-700 with the top of the line 3M and Avery wraps.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:41 AM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Liquid Wrap is good, but the finish will not be as smooth as vinyl, which comes very close to paint. Also, if you spill any drips of gasoline on liquid wrap, it can discover it or event strip it off. I don't consider liquid wrap worth the effort and cost for a regular car... Great for a track car that frequently gets scuffed up and great for testing colors, but not as long term of a color change as vinyl.
You are referring to the old plasti-dip. Dipping has come a loooooong way. They can now match your oem paint code.

True about the gas spillage though. You can control that by pumping your own gas.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by 9~factor
You are referring to the old plasti-dip. Dipping has come a loooooong way. They can now match your oem paint code.
They can match colors, but they can't match textures. The new clear coats and finishing products are great and will give shine that looks like a fresh paint job, but the car never feels as smooth as real paint.
I had a few parts liquid dipped last year. My biggest gripe was that after a few months, about a 1 foot section around the exhaust tips basically absorbed the catless fumes and always looked a bit dirtier. Unlike paint, you can't claybar it.

But for the price of having a professional do it, Liquid dip is probably the best option.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Don't seek the internet's approval for how you want to modify your car. If everyone did this, all our cars would look the same. Do what you think looks good and what makes you happy.
+1. Sage advice.

Here's a great wrap thread about a guy that could only locate an Agate/Bordeaux 718 Cayman, but badly wanted a Miami Blue car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...on-advise.html

His quandry was whether to get the Agate car and get it wrapped in Miami Blue. Would Miami and Bordeaux work well together? I said don't do it. Miami and Bordeaux would be an absolute trainwreck. "Godawful" was the exact term I used. LOL.

Long story short, he rejected all naysayers, got the car wrapped in Miami and couldn't be happier. And I had to eat my words to some extent. It wasn't as "Godawful" as I thought it would be, although still very much way out there

Moral: Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Quick Reply: spyder wrap?