Sponsored by: APR

Alignmen specs for 981 spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:07 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Toe is going to cause wear across the entire tire. With deeper tread you'd see the edges of the blocks feathering. Outside edges of each block indicating toe in. Inside edges indicating toe out. I didn't think toe was a problem with these tires because I didn't see any feathering, but the excessively low remaining tread made it hard to tell. Seeing the numbers it now makes a lot more sense.
My understanding was always that toe-out was expressed in the printouts as a negative number while toe-in was expressed as a positive measurement. And historically, I thought toe measurements were shown in inches and not degrees. Maybe things have changed since the 90's. lol

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 10-05-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
My understanding was always that toe-out was expressed in the printouts as a negative number while and toe-in was expressed as a positive measurement. And historically, I thought toe measurements were shown in inches and not degrees. Maybe things have changed since the 90's. lol
Negative is out, positive is in. You're correct, though I didn't intend to infer otherwise in my post. I was only saying that a toe value would feather the inner or outer edge of the tread block depending whether it was in or out.

As for things changing, I think it's just how the laser / digital machines are designed. What was once done with bars, strings, and rulers is now mostly automated. I still think of things in inches, but then have to do the math and convert to degrees in order to tell the technician a useful value.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:33 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Having alignment checked on my 981 spyder with 8K miles. Wore the rear OEM Pirellis down to the cord in 7K miles. Car never tracked or autocrossed. Used for weekend cruising and "spirited" driving. Any suggestions on specs or leave it "factory" which it may not be considering tire wear. I know I've always gone through 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts on most P cars I've owned and expected this type of wear on my 2 previous GT3's, but didn't expect it with the Spyder.

Ideas?
My rears were replaced as part of the CPO process at 8k miles. FWIW.

edit: after seeing your alignment/tire pictures -- I think I'm going to have mine checked! Yikes! I recently had my biennial service completed at Penske (about 300 miles ago) and tires checked out OK, but they only have about 2500 miles on them.

Quick Reply: Alignmen specs for 981 spyder?