Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for replacement rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:48 PM
jtrcatalina
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendation for replacement rotors and pads

Any recommendations for aftermarket rotors and pads for a stock 2009 Cayman -- I would like to have my local garage replace them but need to supply the parts -- any tips on quality or price are welcome -- just drive it occasionally - it is not a track car!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:18 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Do a search on this forum for brake disc recommendations. There are several aftermarket brands that are good and are much cheaper. Sebro and Zimmerman are considered good brands and are available from Pelican and other dealers. Consensus is to avoid cross-drilled rotors (like the OEM) and go for solid or slotted.

As to pads, I've been a Hawk fan for several years on various makes of cars, but again the consensus for a non tracked car seems to be Porsche OEM or Textar (as I understand, an OEM supplier). I have Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, not considered good for track, but very effective on the street and dust free.

Changing rotors and pads is very easy, with internet instructions easy to find. No special tools other than a pad spreader if you want to use one.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I'd stick with the OEM pads & rotors for a street car. Probably the most cost-efficient too.
Most aggressive track pads will squeal like a stuck pig. Or an old garbage truck.

However, if you insist:
Girodisc rotors are great on a Cayman.
The Ferodo DS1.11 pads are great. Some of the less aggressive Pagid pads (blue or orange) are also good on a street car.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 PM
jtrcatalina
Track Day

Default Thank you - Do you know who sells kits

Thanks for the help - do you know who sell kits? Everything I need - pads - rotors- sensors - pins - screws etc.?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
I'd stick with the OEM pads & rotors for a street car. Probably the most cost-efficient too.
Most aggressive track pads will squeal like a stuck pig. Or an old garbage truck.
This...

Unless you're tracking the car, the stock pads and rotors will last a pretty long time. Porsche OEM stuff has a gazillion $$ in development invested in it. Just sayin'.

https://www.suncoastparts.com is cost-effective on the parts, sometimes have free shipping promos on orders over certain dollar amounts.

It's a good time to check all pads and rotor thicknesses. If you're already in there...

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a rotor thread a few weeks ago and someone mentioned fcpeuro.com for rotors. Apparently they offer a lifetime warranty. The next time you need rotors you'd buy new ones, mail the old ones back, and they refund your new purchase. I looked and they seem quite competitive on prices for the Sebro and Zimmerman rotors. Cheaper than what Suncoast wants for the OEM rotors.

Definitely stick with the OEM pads if you're just daily driving. They are easily as good or better than what most aftermarket options sell as a "performance street" pad.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:07 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrcatalina
Thanks for the help - do you know who sell kits? Everything I need - pads - rotors- sensors - pins - screws etc.?
I'm surprised your shop can't tell you what to order, but any Porsche-knowledgeable parts department will be able to advise you on what you need. I've spoken with folks at Suncoast (East coast) and Sunset (West coast) several times over the years and they've both always been spot on with what they recommend, particularly with regard to fasteners that cannot be reused and should be replaced. They're not always the least expensive option, but I've never had to return anything because they sent the wrong stuff and never had a job delayed because they didn't recommend everything I needed to get the job done. That's worth something (To me at least).

Personally, I tend to be a little OCD about fasteners and prefer to spend a few extra bucks just to have everything new and "up to spec." Also, new stuff is generally easier to work with. That said, the only time you really have to use new fasteners, etc is if the original is damaged or designated by the factory as non-reusable.

Last edited by TMc993; 09-12-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd go sebro slotted and R pads - not much more expensive, definite upgrade, can handle an HPDE if need be.... search forums - tons of info on this.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 PM
jtrcatalina
Track Day

Thanks for all the input - I have placed and order OEM manufacture pads -textar - new rotors and all the parts necessary to do all four corners from ECS Tuners $700- they were very helpful with a complete package -

Just about half the price quoted by two independent Porsche specialties in Newport Beach? They quoted parts and labor $1090 for the fronts and $780 for the rears ($500 less than the dealer)- Pretty sure I can get them installed for less than a grand!

Also thanks for the video tips - might just do it myself!

Have a great weekend!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:39 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Pretty easy job to do yourself as well, good luck!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking of pads. The brake dust is frustrating on my 981.
I usually would get Akebono pads, but they don't seem to be available for a non ceramic equipped 981.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:46 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sghokie
Speaking of pads. The brake dust is frustrating on my 981.
I usually would get Akebono pads, but they don't seem to be available for a non ceramic equipped 981.
Try these guys:
http://ctbrakes.com/

Their 1521 is a terrific very low dust street pad and has significantly more initial bite than the Akebono's. I've used them on several cars including the 981. The 1521's are not up to the task of track duty though. I swap out to the XP-10's for that.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:29 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like carbotech pads aren't available for base 981. Bummer.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:15 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sghokie
Looks like carbotech pads aren't available for base 981. Bummer.
They are in the process of updating the website. They have them, just call the number on the website and ask for Mike Jr. and he will get you set up. If you are a PCA member you get a discount.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtrcatalina
Any recommendations for aftermarket rotors and pads for a stock 2009 Cayman -- I would like to have my local garage replace them but need to supply the parts -- any tips on quality or price are welcome -- just drive it occasionally - it is not a track car!
Two things to remember,
1. Everyone here is smarter than the engineers that designed your car and it's brake system;
2. Everyone here is a professional race car driver with decades of driving experience and unparalled driving skills;

The guys that designed your car designed a SYSTEM using drilled rotors. Changing one part of a SYSTEM can make it work better in one area, but at a cost of performance loss in another area.

Simply put, non drilled rotors run hotter which requires a different brake pad than oem. Higher temp pads DO NOT stop as well as oem on the street. They REQUIRE more heat to perform properly.

I drive on track and on the street. I use oem style rotors and pads on the street.
I use Hawk pads on the track with the same oem rotors.
I consistently out brake guys with "better" brake pads and rotors.

Save your money and stick to OEM style parts.
You can buy OEM pads without the Porsche box and literally save hundreds.

OEM drilled rotors won't automatically crack as some suggest (even though those people think they are smarter than the engineers at Porsche)

I bought rotors from these guys in 2015.
https://brakeperformance.com

10,000 miles and 20+ track days later (twice at COTA) and they still are in excellent working condition.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for replacement rotors and pads