Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Jlopez55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't want to sell the the gt3, but two kids in college is a burden and the right thing for now is to reduce my car hobby.

​​​​The spyder is actually above my target price of $40, but I think I'm long run the stretch would be worth it. Are they about $15k over a similar year boxster S?

​​
Old 09-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlopez55
thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't want to sell the the gt3, but two kids in college is a burden and the right thing for now is to reduce my car hobby.

​​​​The spyder is actually above my target price of $40, but I think I'm long run the stretch would be worth it. Are they about $15k over a similar year boxster S?

​​
I was originally seeking a very clean $25K-30K Boxster S, but a bit of research (and my son) pushed me towards the Spyder — figure twice the cost. Low production numbers, high performance goodies, unique features (the skimpy roof), and its fun-to-drive quotient (it is one of the lightest production cars of its era) all but guarantee some level of collectible/high resale value in the future.

I stretched my budget, but I am confident that my investment is secure as Spyder values are going up. Historically, standard Boxster models have not fared nearly as well as their 911 counterparts, and depreciated faster to lower levels.

- Mike
Old 09-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The spread from S to Spyder will widen with time.

For those that think Spyders are low 50’s I think its important to realize that those cars offered in this price range have a history and the sit around because they have some type of baggage (abused/heavily tracked/accident) associated with them. Many Spyders often sell privately without being advertised and I see those prices range from low 60’s to low 70’s. Still a crazy bargain.

And while I’m an owner I really could care less about values as I’m not selling.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:28 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Subscribing as I’m interested. I see the same cars sitting in the low 50s on cars.com. I assume they aren’t moving due to stories or maybe the demand hasn’t quite caught on for these. Although I’ve seen even a cpo in the high 50s so my guess is 50-60k with reasonable miles. Still about $25k-30k less than a 997.1 GT3.

If you got top top dollar for your GT3 and found a spyder with more miles and a private party or dealer willing to play it might be workth making the move.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:09 AM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

As much as I'm a fan of the Spyder, I have to think a GT3 is a better long term car to hold. The more exclusive (expensive) a car tends to be during its prime, the more it seems to command a decade down the road. Look at the last of the air cooled- $50k for a NA and $150k for a turbo? Quite a gap. Sure the spyder will hold a high margin over a base boxster, but the GT3 is quite a bit different animal.
I realize that's not what the OP was asking about, but I tend to regret selling rare toys a few years down the road.

About the old tires....I've seen some chunk out the sidewalls due to UV damage. It's a big deal out here in the land of high altitude!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:33 AM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Subscribing as I’m interested. I see the same cars sitting in the low 50s on cars.com. I assume they aren’t moving due to stories or maybe the demand hasn’t quite caught on for these. Although I’ve seen even a cpo in the high 50s so my guess is 50-60k with reasonable miles. Still about $25k-30k less than a 997.1 GT3.

If you got top top dollar for your GT3 and found a spyder with more miles and a private party or dealer willing to play it might be workth making the move.
correction I have seen 4 or 5 spyders that we’re cpo Priced <$55k. Holding decently well, who knows about long term though. Anybody have an Idea on the total production for the 987.2 spyder, I thought It was relatively low volume?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by oilhammer
As much as I'm a fan of the Spyder, I have to think a GT3 is a better long term car to hold. The more exclusive (expensive) a car tends to be during its prime, the more it seems to command a decade down the road. Look at the last of the air cooled- $50k for a NA and $150k for a turbo? Quite a gap. Sure the spyder will hold a high margin over a base boxster, but the GT3 is quite a bit different animal.
I realize that's not what the OP was asking about, but I tend to regret selling rare toys a few years down the road.

About the old tires....I've seen some chunk out the sidewalls due to UV damage. It's a big deal out here in the land of high altitude!
Yeah, pretty big gap is true. That's quite the long term though to see that unfold. Just my opinion, but I don't plan on driving this thing more than 5-6 years. I eventually *WILL* get bored. I think once this car is 6 years old, if you compare it to a 991 GT3, percentage wise I bet the value retention is similar, and actually -- I think it will favor the Spyder. I just don't have the garage space to keep everything I love -- maybe that will change by then.

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder pricing?