Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring question for Aftermarket Radio in 981

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wiring question for Aftermarket Radio in 981

I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket radio (Pioneer Avic 8400) in my 981. I noticed my Pioneer Radio wants Rear Reverse Signal to enable the Backup Camera. Looking at the 981 wiring schematic, there is a BLU/BLK wire on the BCU under the drivers seat which supplies the signal to the Rear Backup Lights. Has anyone tapped into this signal to supply the radio?

Also, for accessory power, did you tap the fuse panel or did you find another switched power source to tap? And finally, did you find an illumination source in the center console to use to supply the radio?

Thanks,
Al
Old 08-28-2018, 01:50 AM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Following, as I will do the same in a couple of weeks, but with the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX, but I would think thats a similar setup.
What camera did you go with, as I'm struggling finding a good integrated solution?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:05 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by algiorda
I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket radio (Pioneer Avic 8400) in my 981. I noticed my Pioneer Radio wants Rear Reverse Signal to enable the Backup Camera. Looking at the 981 wiring schematic, there is a BLU/BLK wire on the BCU under the drivers seat which supplies the signal to the Rear Backup Lights. Has anyone tapped into this signal to supply the radio?

Also, for accessory power, did you tap the fuse panel or did you find another switched power source to tap? And finally, did you find an illumination source in the center console to use to supply the radio?

Thanks,
Al
From the Porsche radio schematics I remember seeing, the blue/black cable was used on MOST based head units as a reverse indicator. This is the reverse signal cable that would need to be tapped into. Regarding the switched/constant 12v connection, wouldn't that power be at the OEM head unit? Therefore, if you purchase the correct wire harness adapter, then you're pretty much ready for connecting into the aftermarket radio wiring? I hear some people tap into the cell phone accessory connector on some of the older cars, but I'm sure what model of 981 you have.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:56 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Thanks for your reply. The schematic I have shows the Blu/Blk for the Navigation Radios is for one of the Microphones. I purchased the wiring harness from Suncoast, and they include a Tap to the Fuse panel for power???? Go Figure. I, like you, assumed if the existing radio has power, that should transfer to the new head?!? I also tapped the Cell Phone connector on my since departed 2004 Boxster S and it worked like a charm.

Last edited by algiorda; 08-28-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Bad Image
Old 08-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Audioi
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, what was that!
Old 08-28-2018, 12:47 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Originally Posted by alvitdk
Following, as I will do the same in a couple of weeks, but with the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX, but I would think thats a similar setup.
What camera did you go with, as I'm struggling finding a good integrated solution?
I ordered this one as I didn't want to put any holes in my bumper, if it doesn't work out. I'll try something else:
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
por917 (07-07-2021)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:52 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Originally Posted by Audioi
Wow, what was that!
That, was a 70's flashback! LOL

I tried posting a schematic image, but it obviously didn't render correctly...lol
Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Yea, like a lot of DIYers, I've enjoyed tinkering with radios over the years. Like a lot of the European cars, the radios are not always that easy to modify especially the modern "infotainment systems". I would think radios in this generation of Caymans still work off switched and unswitched 12V power. I don't know why they're making you tap into the fuse box. They seems rigged and backwards.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Audioi
Advanced

I purchased a JL Audio system including the Fix82 and the latest multi channel amp with DSP, the biggest issue is finding the correct harness adaptors to retrieve the analog signal from the CDR31. I am not willing to hack into the factory loom or J hook anything.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:50 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Also working on an audio upgrade with AVIC 8400. Excited to get this thing powered up and check it out. My Cayman is 987.2 though so I can't speak to your wiring situation. I found illumination wiring right behind the head unit, going to the emergency flasher button (which is illuminated when the lights are on). I found the ignition by using a fuse tap off the fuse box. I got a wiring/installation guide by buying my NEX 8400 from crutchfield (it also came with 2 month return policy which is cool).. also got another wiring guide from Suncoast with this harness/bezel kit. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/OEMRADDELE.html. They may sell one for the newer cars too, so I'd check that out. Gutting the whole craptastic Porsche system and putting back some audio goodness
Old 09-04-2018, 12:08 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm working on the same thing for my 987. Finding connectors for the Porsche loom back to the new radio seems tricky, without a $350 kit.

I am going the route of leaving off CANBUS integration, and just wiring to the reverse line, the illumination line, power and ground. I will use a cheap MOST interface to keep the Bose amp and speakers. Trying to go sub-out directly to the Bose sub inputs through an RCA noise isolation filter. Installing cameras front and rear, while I am in there.
Any info is helpful.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Audioi
Advanced

I am surprised to see induction used in a 2013 car connector!
Old 07-06-2021, 02:09 PM
redvancitycayman
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by algiorda

Thanks,
Al
For the illumination source for the 981, I figured out that you can tap red/gray wire in the hazard/central locking button harness. I used the wiring diagram in the service manual and a multimeter to test this out and it worked!
The following users liked this post:
mgyura (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Wiring question for Aftermarket Radio in 981