Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not many PASM 981s (Non GTS) are there

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:19 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm going back and forth between swapping X73 vs keeping PASM on mine. It'd be nice to actually drive an X73 equipped car to see what I'd be giving up.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:21 AM
jlpryan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2014 Cayman S with PASM

I have a 2014 Cayman S in Rhodium Silver over Grey Leather with PASM, Sport Steering Wheel, Bose, Sport Exhaust, Boxster S Wheels (like GT4)

Originally Posted by Yiruna
I can't seem to find many Caymans with PASM and Sport Chrono installed. I'm trying to get one for BGB to do a conversion with but man is it hard finding one. I wanted to put it with a DSC Box and their tractive coilovers.

The only ones that seem to have them was the GTS and even then it's like only half of them do. What gives
Old 07-06-2021, 06:05 PM
Visual
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Is this true? I believe it to be true for the 987’s but not the 981’s. I believe Porsche even answered this. Do you know where I can get the software???!
It is activated within PIWIS. The only caveat is that it requires an enabling code that is generated based on your VIN. Official channels don't give out the codes, so the only options are overseas sources that have hacked the code generation system.

Originally Posted by badabing
Are you looking for manual or pdk. I know of someone who has a pdk with pasm/pse/sc and also already has a dsc installed.

Also, according to suncoast, you cannot retrofit oem sc to a 981. Only a Cobb tune or similar.
It's possible. However, "no" is the only response that official Porsche channels can give, as they aren't allowed/able to provide the required enabling codes.

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Retrofitting Sport Chrono software does not give full functionality, no launch control and not even sure if you get another button for Sport+ and it's different settings. X73 too rough for me, PASM is much better and a more expensive option for the same price ... soft for daily driving, stiffer when needed.
The only function missing from a 981 SC retrofit is the dynamic engine mount. Launch control, sport display, g-force meter, etc., are all activated as part of the enabling process. The Sport Plus switch you just install into your current switch console, or you can swap in an entire used/new switch console.

Originally Posted by FrankThomas
The Cobb tune offers features similar to sport chrono? Might be a decent option if the cars out of warranty
I have both the Cobb tune and the retrofit Sport Chrono software. The Cobb PDK tune is good, but not exactly the same as SC. It's not aggressive as the Sport Plus mode in SC where shifts happen near redline, but does change the normal and Sport mode shift points pretty drastically. Cobb does has some nifty features like disabling the kick-down, idle creep, and changing how the dual paddle neutral function performs.

Quick Reply: Not many PASM 981s (Non GTS) are there