Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girodisc rotors vs. OEM - what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 04:01 PM
amurph182
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
Where can you get them?
I got a set from partsgeek. Slightly more expensive than the sebro drilled but still pretty cheap. Haven't installed them yet so can't comment on lifespan/quality.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:13 AM
tweej
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
Thank you. Looks like a nice light track option between OEM drilled and Girodisc 2-piece slotted.
Yes, "light" is right. Despite the fact that they have left/right orientation, the cooling is no better than the stock drilled rotors in my experience: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post15209219

They are also 3 pounds heavier than stock, but they don't crack as easily.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

You're also missing the fact that they are larger in diameter which offers more brake torque for the same pressure. This in combination with the improved cooling meant I've never experienced the fade I used to get with my 996 in my 987.2. I've also never felt the need to change the master cylinder for the same reasons.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:47 AM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you referring to Sebro slotted rotors? In the thread you linked there is no mention of Sebro, yet the comment on a “light” track option is referring to Sebro.

Anyway, I took the plunge and bought a set from parts geek. The price makes them a no brainer to try. They seem a bit heavy, but I’ll weigh and compare when I get around to replacing.

Originally Posted by tweej
Yes, "light" is right. Despite the fact that they have left/right orientation, the cooling is no better than the stock drilled rotors in my experience: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...l#post15209219

They are also 3 pounds heavier than stock, but they don't crack as easily.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:27 AM
tweej
Intermediate

Yes, I replaced the OE drilled rotors with slotted Sebros as one of my first steps, but they didn't help the overheating I was experiencing on track. Totally fine for street. Even extremely aggressive street. I didn't notice the weight by feel while driving. Just by measuring what went on and what came off of the car. That's 3 pounds for all four corners.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:47 AM
AZWCat
Instructor

I’m just looking for more durability than cross drilled, so maybe they’ll work for me. I haven’t had overheating issues with SRF and Pagid yellow pads.

Yes, I replaced the OE drilled rotors with slotted Sebros as one of my first steps, but they didn't help the overheating I was experiencing on track. Totally fine for street. Even extremely aggressive street. I didn't notice the weight by feel while driving. Just by measuring what went on and what came off of the car. That's 3 pounds for all four corners.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:28 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

That's 3 pounds for all four corners.
That sounds more reasonable.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Yes, I replaced the OE drilled rotors with slotted Sebros as one of my first steps, but they didn't help the overheating I was experiencing on track. Totally fine for street. Even extremely aggressive street. .
I imagine they are fine for track for most. Better than OEM due to the cracking issues with drilled rotors. Overheating at the track depends on lots of factors, driver, track, etc. I have a buddy I used to run with regularly with at the track. We had basically identical car set-ups and ran almost identical lap times (I was slightly faster usually). He went through brakes more than 2x as fast as I did (same set-up) and battled overheating. I never had any brake overheating issues.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:43 PM
tweej
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZWCat
I’m just looking for more durability than cross drilled, so maybe they’ll work for me. I haven’t had overheating issues with SRF and Pagid yellow pads.
I just did a track day Saturday and can confirm increased durability with the Girodiscs. The surface still feels almost perfectly flat with almost no grooves or unevenness. The only thing that shows is discoloring from the heat.

Originally Posted by mts
I imagine they are fine for track for most. Better than OEM due to the cracking issues with drilled rotors. Overheating at the track depends on lots of factors, driver, track, etc. I have a buddy I used to run with regularly with at the track. We had basically identical car set-ups and ran almost identical lap times (I was slightly faster usually). He went through brakes more than 2x as fast as I did (same set-up) and battled overheating. I never had any brake overheating issues.
It seems that way. For example, at the Fontana Roval I had no trouble doing ~130 - ~40 for turn 3 all day long, but always had problems at Lagua Seca where I go the most. I think the difference is there's more distance between the hard braking zones at Fontana that gives the brakes time to cool. In any case my local shop says lots of 987.2 owners complain about overheating brakes at Laguna Seca, and Sharkwerks even has an article up about the "notorious" pedal feel problem: http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/987-ca...r-upgrade.html
Old 08-13-2018, 08:07 PM
brur
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mts
Out of curiosity, can you divulge what the differences were between your buddy and yourself on the track? Was it as simple as pedal effort?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brur
Out of curiosity, can you divulge what the differences were between your buddy and yourself on the track? Was it as simple as pedal effort?
In my opinion he over-drove the car. He was on the brakes too much, did a lot of trail braking and wasn't a very smooth driver with his inputs (he wore his tires more than me as well). He made up for a lot of it with being very aggressive and having excellent car control when the car started to slide/need correction. If you rode with him, then rode with me you would think he was significantly faster as riding with him was a bit of a "thrill ride". The reality was our lap times were comparable and we had a great time driving together.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We also have the Sebro Slotted in stock too.

https://www.warehouse33auto.com/cata...ake-Brake.Disc

-Jason
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Just as a follow up, I installed the Sebro rotors last night. If you are already changing pads, swapping rotors is really quick. I weighed the Sebro and they are 21lbs ea. My stock rotors after 4 years of wear were 19.4 lbs. This was for front rotors only.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:52 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AZWCat
Just as a follow up, I installed the Sebro rotors last night. If you are already changing pads, swapping rotors is really quick. I weighed the Sebro and they are 21lbs ea. My stock rotors after 4 years of wear were 19.4 lbs. This was for front rotors only.

Thanks - that is good info - will be making this change as well.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:47 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

***Hit us up for pricing on these rotors - and Pagids as well***

Quick Reply: Girodisc rotors vs. OEM - what am I missing?