Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in the SF Bay Area have a big brake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:45 PM
tweej
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With track tires I'd be in that ballpark. The AP Racing rotors are sized the same as the StopTechs but cost $2,500 more. For that price I could get the huge Brembos, so I'm not too sure about going that route since Schmidt (and others) seem pretty happy with the StopTechs.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

I went with just the girodisc rotors stock calipers. The large diameter offers more braking torque for the same pressure and better heat dissapation. The combination of these plus, pfc08, and motul fluid have resulted in solid pedal feel with no fade for me.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tweej
This is not helpful, as I've already said I have fancy lines and fluid. If you know what else can cause what feels like boiled fluid, please share.
What fluid? It's rare to be boiling fluid in a 98X in my experience. I've gotten light pad fade when I push too hard, even with Pagid, but Motul 600 or better should be good to go for a long time. I don't know what level driver you are in terms of experience, but it may be worth trying to focus on technique before dropping big money on a BBK. The overwhelming majority of caymans don't run BBK, at least near me, including advanced/instructors (including me). The general recipe for track success is Pagid RS29 or PFC 08, Motul 600 or better, and maybe Girodisc 2 pieces. These cars are not that heavy or powerful, so they're not really brake eaters. A BBK would be nice, for sure, but unless you're on a blank check budget that is not typically one of the earlier things people want on the 98X cars.

BTW, I saw earlier you suggested your street tires were taxing your brakes more (than slicks or R comps, I guess). In reality, stickier tires are much harder on brakes because they can sustain much higher g loads under braking and will therefore create much more heat. The entry speed will be higher, but so will exit speed from the last corner. Stickier tires are much harder on brakes than street tires, not the other way around.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Another consideration could be how far down you wear the pads before changing them out for a new set. Thin pads transfer more heat to the fluid. We generally recommend changing the pads when the pad material thickness equals the thickness of the metal backing plate.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:46 PM
tweej
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought Girodiscs and took them to the track today. Same tires, same pads, sameish lap times (slightly faster), same everything else, and experienced no fade. Problem solved.

The GT3 master cylinder is also a big improvement in pedal feel on track.

The Girodiscs are marketed as being "generally 4-8 pounds" lighter than the OE discs, but the ones for the 987.2 are 4 pounds heaver than stock in total. In this case it's worth the weight gain.

Last edited by tweej; 08-12-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the SF Bay Area have a big brake kit?