Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

What will a 20% tariff do to the cost of the new gt4 and spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:58 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Default What will a 20% tariff do to the cost of the new gt4 and spyder?

What will a 20% tariff do to the cost of the new gt4 and spyder?

For that matter, what about the 2016s
Old 06-25-2018, 02:23 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

A bit premature to consider IMO, but it would in theory raise the costs a lot. Maybe not quite 20%, as many OEM's would be pressed to thin margins to compete for market share, but considerably more than they are now. Maybe 15%? The secondary market would also go up, but it's anybody's guess how much.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:50 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

I guess I gotta save more pennies.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:18 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

If a tariff indeed drives the price up, my sense is that it will kill sales. Whatever tariff it is will likely be short-term in nature, driving up the initial cost, but I don't see how the resale values would keep up given new models 2-3 years out could very well not have a tariff... Wouldn't it stand to reason that anyone looking to buy is going to take serious resale pressure, driving the market to wait and see in the US, perhaps creating a favorable market price elsewhere?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:53 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

"Harley-Davidson, the American motorcycle manufacturer, said on Monday that it was shifting some of the production of its bikes outside the United States to avoid European Union tariffs imposed as part of a widening trade dispute. The announcement, made in a public filing, is an early sign of the financial cost to companies on both sides of the Atlantic as the United States and Europe impose tariffs and counter-tariffs on each other."

If this tariff comes to fruition, it will be interesting to see how different companies respond. As in the case of Harley, there could be some unintended consequences.

I recently received the following from Pebble Beach, as I suspect some of you may also have. Clearly, the collector car community is worried and right now there is a lot of uncertainty. Trade stuff is so damn complicated and I don't pretend to know one damn thing about it. I'm just going to buckle myself in because the ride may get bumpy!
Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I deal with politics so much in other aspects of my life that I don't want to deal with it on a car forum or when it comes to what has been a decades long hobby of mine...that said, I cannot imagine these new tarriffs and trade wars will endure for very long. There's too much riding on open trade policies between the US and the other major Asian and European economies. So my prediction is this will blow over soon. That said, IF there are sustained tariffs on imported cars, prices will go up initially, which will result in demand (on the new car market) going down, and then prices likely will go down again to attract buyers. The market will correct.

I still think this is a high-stakes game of chicken though. See who is going to blink first.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
What will a 20% tariff do to the cost of the new gt4 and Spyder?
uh.. price would go up 20%.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:38 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

uh.. price would go up 20%.
Yup.
But which price--wholesale in Germany?, FOB USA?, dealer price? retail?, and if it's an 'early' tax does every middleman increase their margins to cover increased investment?
Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

It means there won't be any cars left in Canada!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Let's say hypothetically that the 20% tariff happens. If Porsche starts building American market cars in America, how much would that affect your purchase decision? Would you pay 20% more for one made an imported from Germany? Or pay current prices for one made in Ohio?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:50 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Let's say hypothetically that the 20% tariff happens. If Porsche starts building American market cars in America, how much would that affect your purchase decision? Would you pay 20% more for one made an imported from Germany? Or pay current prices for one made in Ohio?
This is an odd question, maybe I'm missing something. Does it actually matter where the car is manufactured? If it's a plant owned by Porsche, built by Porsche, maintained by Porsche to build cars to the same specifications they engineer and deliver in Germany, why should we expect them to be any different at all?

It just seems like it's not a practical strategy for Porsche, unless they're actively trying to expand in the US market, independent of any of this tariff talk. I would imagine these tariffs would have to be essentially set in stone for many years to force their hand to this degree to consider manufacturing cars in the US, unless they already have an initiative to do so. I'm not going to pretend to guess and I have done zero research on the topic, but I think it's a huge stretch to think any of this would come to that unless it was somehow confirmed to be long-term.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:12 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 891 Posts

Even if they decided to manufacture in the USA... the 718 would be the last model considered. First would be the Macan.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

The German automakers have already started they can't survive and are pressuring the EU to drop tariffs on American vehicles imported into Europe Merkel can't block this, as she would be toast. The German economy is powered by the auto industry. EU growth is already slow and would go into recession as American tariffs take hold. My bet right now is the EU blinks and tariffs by both sides are greatly reduced.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:30 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts

Lets get a pic of Merkel in a Ford
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Columbus here... Do I sense an insult? O H ! I O !

seriously though, can’t see Porsche setting up shop here to make 911’s, much GT cars. Volume too low to justify another plant here for them to avoid tariffs, and the buyers of such cars are likely to buy them anyway. ADMs prove it. Maybe Macans and Cayennes....

Quick Reply: What will a 20% tariff do to the cost of the new gt4 and spyder?