Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.

I decided to change oil in my '18 718 after 500 mi. I decided on 5W-50 Amsoil full synthetic. Manual says 6 qts, which I assume includes filter.

I drained the oil, replaced the filter, and added 6 qts Amsoil. After driving a couple of miles, I got a dash message that said I have too much oil in engine and that I should get it checked by dealer pretty soon (didn't sound like an emergency). I tried to suck out some oil thru the filler hole, using a flexible plastic hose abt 1/4" diameter. No luck, not a drop. Phooey, sez I (or something like that).

So it's back up on the hoist, remove drain plug over a clean container. All that would come out was 1 cup (1/4 qt.). Say what?!

I tried blowing gently into the filler neck, no luck. I tried vacuuming from the drain plug. No luck. I tilted the front of the car up about a foot, no luck. Then the rear up, no luck.

So I went out for a 10 mi. drive at speed to see what would happen. I was on the expressway, so I used earplugs. No signs of anything amiss (e.g. smoke from exhaust). But when I got off the expressway, I took out the earplugs and noticed a loudish whine, proportional to RPM. Never heard it before. I guessed it might be oil pump noise. Or? Manual says that too much oil can cause cat damage. Oil temp and oil pressures were normal.

So, guys, where's the oil? It's trapped in the engine somewhere. Where? I assume this is a wet sump engine. If not, is the oil trapped in a tank?

Obviously, I can -- and will if I can't get some oil out -- call the dealer. But really! Oil's gotta be in there somewhere.

I didn't used to believe in black magic, but now, I'm not sure.

Help!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

No answer for you, unfortunately, but there is nowhere for the oil to be "trapped" in your engine. When you drained (presumably from the same drain plug!) did it seem like about 6 quarts came out? Did you reinstall the plug and torque it with a new washer? What does the oil level gauge say now, after driving it again?

I wouldn't immediately be too concerned. The engines are super noisy (H6 included) and make a ton of valvetrain noise that can seem alarming if you're looking for it.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Fortunately, the oil waste can I drained into had been recently emptied, so I have a close idea of how much came out: 4 qts at first drain and 1/2 qt at second drain ( when I had decided to drain the excess oil out.

Now, I don’t know how much (original) oil was in the motor. The dash indicator said it was full, but I don’t know if that means 6 qts or “enough.”

If if we assume there were 6 qts at the beginning, and only 4-1/2 drained out, then there were 1-1/2 qts left in the motor (yes, I had warmed it up before draining). So I now have 1-1/2 qts too much oil in the motor. The oil level indicator is a sometimes thing. Often it says that the level reading isn’t available.

BTW, I’m 99% sure there was no o-ring on the drain plug. I looked and felt around very carefully. Anyway, I put Permatex on the plug threads and flange.

Likewise, I’m 97.3% sure that the whine hasn’t been there before.

Sime days it it just doesn’t pay to chew through the straps and get out of bed.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:43 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you sure you drained the engine oil and not the transmission gear oil?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:20 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This^
Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
Are you sure you drained the engine oil and not the transmission gear oil?
Oh crap. I think we have a winner...
Old 03-18-2018, 08:24 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

^Agree with above. If you drained something from somewhere that had 4+ quarts, added 6 quarts of oil to the engine, and could then only remove .5 quart, you almost certainly drained something other than engine oil the first time. Was this the plug you pulled (see P4, not my post or pics, as I don't even have a 718: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8ihsjwhk...nge+Rev2.pdf)? If you drained the trans and drove with it empty that is majorly bad and would cause whine from the gears not being lubricated properly. If that is the case you probably better get it to the dealer ASAP and tow it there rather than drive it.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:57 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Well F**K ME! That’s what I did.

Is there a separate oil system for the transmission and the transaxle, or do they share oil?

The illustration that I was looking at clearly showed an exposed drain plug. There is only one exposed plug, the one I drained. The engine sump plug is completely covered by one of the large panels that covers the underside of the car. When I started to remove that, having been alerted that whatever I drained may not have been the engine, I pulled a panel down a bit and saw the sump plug.

I now have a 1-1/2” hole in that panel for easy future access. I’m guessing that’s what dealers do at oil change time.

Tomorrow should tell. I’ll get new oil for the engine and tranny and hope the whine goes away. Or else I’ll be the one whining. Big time.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,106 Posts

When I first read this, I thought someone was trolling...

The whine came from your gearbox, which always turns when the motor is turning. Thankfully, running without much oil in the gearbox for a short while won’t do much harm.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

If you haven't done so already, make sure to drain out the excess oil that you put in the engine.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Wow! Good luck.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:04 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Yes, I've already drained ALL the engine oil. Now I'll replace it with the right kind and quantity.

Which brings me to the next question -- I need transmission (or transaxle?) oil. What does Porsche specify? I've searched the Web extensively, no results.

Also, where's the filler port?

Do the transmission and transaxle share oil, or are there two oil reservoirs?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you have a manual transmission, the filler port is a plug located on the side of the transmission. Typically you fill until the transmission fluid reaches the level of the filler port. If you have a PDK, I have no idea what to do.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Why are wearing earplugs driving a sports car?

Time to call:

?1 (800) 767-7243?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:34 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Quick Reply: Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.