Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by abstruse1
Don’t touch without supervision? Reminds me of an old girl friend 🤣

i replaced engine oil with 5W-40 Castrol, approved by the good ol’ Boys in Stuttgart. Then I went to local dealer and they sold me 5 qts of the tranny oil they use (had to bring my own jug). Put it in and went for a drive. The whining sound went away in 50 yds. I’m optimistic that everything is fine.

what a wild ride!
Does the trans take 5 qts.? I know mine takes close to 3 quarts.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:56 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think mine took closer to 3 qts. Note that the filler plug is hard to find -- it's right in front of the left half shaft. There's what appears to be a filler plug about 5" from the rear of the tranny, at about 11 o'clock (rear viewpoint). Dunno what this is, nor did the Porsche tech know.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I think mine took closer to 3 qts. Note that the filler plug is hard to find -- it's right in front of the left half shaft. There's what appears to be a filler plug about 5" from the rear of the tranny, at about 11 o'clock (rear viewpoint). Dunno what this is, nor did the Porsche tech know.
Good - I was worried there for a second

One tip for the future: gear oil smells a lot different than motor oil. It’s a lot more pungent and stinks quite a bit.

You know, having now accidentally changed your trans/diff fluid isn’t the worst thing in the world. Not everyone changes it often enough, so you are in better shape now.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Benefits of watching a DIY video first before doing some of these actions......
Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Right, arter, but I don't think there are any!
Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 906 Likes on 464 Posts

When mine sits at the dealer and drains for 30-45 minutes, they put back in 8 quarts and it is one or two bars down from the top every time. Car needs to be hot so the oil is thinner and will completely drain out. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:01 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

lovetoturn, that's sorta weird. The manual for my '18 718S says 6 qts. What model is yours?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

981's are 8 quarts since the 6 cylinder is a larger engine with more oil capacity. They're technically 10+ quarts, supposedly, but only 8 drains out.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:29 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Refreshing to see a guy openly admit his error and take it in stride, though I'm sorry to hear about your mishap. Such a new car, your dealer didn't offer a couple of free oil changes? Oh well, lesson learned. Hopefully it all turns out fine. With only 10 miles of driving like that I'm sure it will be okay. Let us know how it turns out.
What made this error even worse is that changing oil at 500 miles is a complete waste of money. Porsche is conservative with their maintenance recommendations, and they specify 10K miles / 1 year for an oil change. I know that some believe that the first oil change should occur early to remove particles from the break-in process, but IMO if the particles were large enough to do damage to the engine, the oil filter would trap them.Moreover, since Porsche provides CPO warranties to 100K miles, I'm certain that they would recommend that the first oil change be done earlier, it it had any merit.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:13 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
What made this error even worse is that changing oil at 500 miles is a complete waste of money. Porsche is conservative with their maintenance recommendations, and they specify 10K miles / 1 year for an oil change. I know that some believe that the first oil change should occur early to remove particles from the break-in process, but IMO if the particles were large enough to do damage to the engine, the oil filter would trap them.Moreover, since Porsche provides CPO warranties to 100K miles, I'm certain that they would recommend that the first oil change be done earlier, it it had any merit.
Eh, I'm in the change early camp too. Oil is cheap. Porsche engines are not. If done correctly (!), the only thing you're out is an oil filter and cheap oil. May not be absolutely necessary, but worth the small expense.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Pro tip:
The oil pan is at the bottom of the engine and the transmission pan is at the bottom of the transmission.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
Interesting point. I changed the oil in my Honda pressure washer. The manual specified to change it after only 5 hours of first use. And lots of glittery grey oil came out. That engine has no filter either.

Yet, you’re right - if it’s not in the manual, then it cannot possibly be such a big deal. Does Porsche break-in these engines - wait, that’s not the right term...Does Porsche run these engines at the factory for a bit and change the oil before they are shipped out?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:47 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

If the oil filter catches all of it, how does the oil you drain end up being so glittery and full of metal flakes? I changed the oil on my Subaru at 1k miles recently (also not called for in the manual), and there were lots of metal flakes and fragments in the oil pan when I drained. If the filter caught all of that, wouldn't it be in the filter rather than the oil pan? The oil is not stagnant, so you would think it would all eventually make its way through the pump and filter.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Indeed, but don't forget the warm, cozy bonding experience of changing your baby's first diaper...uh, oil.

Who knows what influences Porsche to specify change intervals? An effort to be green? A sales feature ("good for 10k mi.!")? The fact that they're not on the warranty hook beyond X years and Y miles (a cynic might argue that the best economics for Porsche is an engine that needs work not long after the warranty expires, PR aside)? A well reasoned thinking that, statistically, some high percentage of engines do okay at a longer change interval -- but not 100%? Etc.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Indeed, but don't forget the warm, cozy bonding experience of changing your baby's first diaper...uh, oil.

Who knows what influences Porsche to specify change intervals? An effort to be green? A sales feature ("good for 10k mi.!")? The fact that they're not on the warranty hook beyond X years and Y miles (a cynic might argue that the best economics for Porsche is an engine that needs work not long after the warranty expires, PR aside)? A well reasoned thinking that, statistically, some high percentage of engines do okay at a longer change interval -- but not 100%? Etc.
I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest but I've enjoyed working on a few maintenance items here and there on my 2001 Miata. Good vehicle on which to learn. Porsche is a completely different animal. I'm not touching it. There are no Porsche dealers in the state and only one Porsche specialty shop. Luckily it is local and has very long history and sterling reputation. They'll be the only ones to touch my car, and I'll follow whatever maintenance guidelines they set. Hopefully he doesn't need a new boat or lake house soon.

Quick Reply: Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.