Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R rear swaybar removal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:51 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Cayman R rear swaybar removal question

Unbolted drop links and sway bar mounts last nite. But i can see how the sway bar will snake out without first removing the axle protector plate in the middle?
And trick i am missing and does the plate just unbolt from its support?

thanks.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:07 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't remember any issues removing the rear bar, the front was more fun dropping the sub-frame. There is a DIY out there I just can't find it at the moment. I'll keep looking.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Thx. None i have read mention this on the rear. But i cant see how it will come out without removal. Maybe the R had a thicker bar which makes removal different than a non R?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:03 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Just to close this.
If there is a way its for people more clever than me. Ended up removing the axle protector plate. Requires removing all nuts holding the pan on. Several have studs that must be pounded up so out of the way (see pic).

Then you need to loosen the diagonal braces ( i did not have to remove the one furthest forward - just the others enough to drop a bit and let the plate move - you dont need much room. Then fairly easy to get the bar out.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:42 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
Just to close this.
If there is a way its for people more clever than me. Ended up removing the axle protector plate. Requires removing all nuts holding the pan on. Several have studs that must be pounded up so out of the way (see pic).

Then you need to loosen the diagonal braces ( i did not have to remove the one furthest forward - just the others enough to drop a bit and let the plate move - you dont need much room. Then fairly easy to get the bar out.
Did you throw it on the ground and curse at it when you were done? I would have.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:37 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

oh yeah
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

And here is the most important question: Why did you remove the sway bar?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:17 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by olegd
And here is the most important question: Why did you remove the sway bar?
i was just trying to clean it. Lol.

Replacing with adjustables from Tarett to reduce some roll and play with fine tuning. Primarily use it for track now.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:15 AM
gyges_1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post.

I'm undergoing the same Tarrett sway an end link install as we speak. I am also baffled by the cross brace and plastic diff guard. The only meaningful posts I've seen have replies like "it just slides out." My S is a .2 and I'm wondering if that's a slight design change from the .1s where maybe there's a slightly different setup that makes it easier to remove. I believe R's were only .2s.

How long did the extra steps (bolt removal, moving bits, etc) take? I'm debating if it's really worth the extra time given the front is also a PITA - I may just drop it at my shop instead.

Really frustrating since I've done sways on E36s, Miatas and an Audi S5 which had quattro bits in the way *everywhere*.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:33 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

The rear doesnt add much once you know it has to come off its simple and you dont have to remove or even loosen the bolt furthest toward the front of car right and left.

The front takes time. Would be half the time the next time i do it. But i have a lift and it was still a slow process. Lots to loose and lowering the subframe if you havent before (me) is stressful. Even once its lowered i had to remove one of the steering connections to the hub to get bar out. I would figure most of a day. Without a lift i dont think i would have enjoyed much of it.

Bill

Quick Reply: Cayman R rear swaybar removal question