Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typical brake pad life question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM
turbo36
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical brake pad life question

Hi all, I am looking at a 2015 Boxster GTS with 6,900 miles. The dealer replaced the front pads and disks due to more than 50% wear ( the rears are 20% wear) is this typical?
They claim the car has never been tracked because there are no over-revs reported and the paint is so nice.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Brake pads

Respectfully, I cannot fathom this under even the most extreme scenario (I.e. journalist test car)....??
Old 02-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this car was definitely tracked or the previous owner swapped in used brake pads from another car. Stop and go traffic shouldn’t wear the brake pads down that much in only 7K miles.

And the dealer is only guessing about the lack of track time.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn’t worry about it. Even if the car was used for a few track days, it can handle it. I’ve seen drivers (on track) run through a set of OEM pads in a day or two. The rotors are slightly more worrisome, suggesting multiple weekends, but the dealer probably is just playing it safe.

The lack of overrevs is the main thing.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I’d insist on a hefty discount since the dealer would definitely do it to you if you were selling it to them. There is just no way that the pads were bad from non track use.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:45 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

No over revs, is the car by chance a PDK??? If it is a manual with no over revs and you have seen the printout then i would believe the no track time. My 981 GTS had over 2000 type 1 over revs but only 3 type 2 over revs. Dealer wasn't at all concerned about the Type 1.

Peter
Old 02-04-2018, 09:39 AM
turbo36
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
No over revs, is the car by chance a PDK??? If it is a manual with no over revs and you have seen the printout then i would believe the no track time. My 981 GTS had over 2000 type 1 over revs but only 3 type 2 over revs. Dealer wasn't at all concerned about the Type 1.

Peter
Yes, it is a PDK. I did not see the report. The dealer claims there were no over-revs present, if there were they could not have gotten the CPO certification approved.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:52 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

PDK can't be mechanically overreved which is what you would worry about with a MT. On the brake wear, sure sounds like track use. Check the car very carefully for rubber marks. The car would have been cleaned of course but sometimes small marks are missed. Check the radiators with a bright flashlight, small rubber bits can be collected at the bottom of the inlets. Also check the side inlets, if you find some rubber bits in there it's a sign of track use. If the rear disks are original look closely for thermal cracks around the disk perforations. That said, some track use would not necessarily be a concern but might be a negotiating point.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:05 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a dealer once explain to me that if there is any doubt at all on any wear items, they replace them. Labor is free - the shop guys are on fixed hours and squeeze stuff like this in, parts are at cost. So they generally just do it - sounds like they are being honest about it as well.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
PDK can't be mechanically overreved which is what you would worry about with a MT. On the brake wear, sure sounds like track use. Check the car very carefully for rubber marks. The car would have been cleaned of course but sometimes small marks are missed. Check the radiators with a bright flashlight, small rubber bits can be collected at the bottom of the inlets. Also check the side inlets, if you find some rubber bits in there it's a sign of track use. If the rear disks are original look closely for thermal cracks around the disk perforations. That said, some track use would not necessarily be a concern but might be a negotiating point.
Actually a PDK like a MT can have range 1 over-revs. Rev limiters don't prevent range 1 over-revs. The only over-revs that are concerning are range 4 and above which can only occur on a MT when downshifting.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:36 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I had a dealer once explain to me that if there is any doubt at all on any wear items, they replace them. Labor is free - the shop guys are on fixed hours and squeeze stuff like this in, parts are at cost. So they generally just do it - sounds like they are being honest about it as well.
It's been a long time since I worked as a tech, but back then we were paid on billable hours. That's why good techs made a lot of money at busy shops, since they were able to perform the service much faster than the allocated book hours. I was always able to bill over 50 hours almost every week.

Quick Reply: Typical brake pad life question