Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,480 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Spyder should be to the GT4 what the Speedster is to the GT3 — a GT4 convertible with humps. Also as with the GT3, both should offer a more user-friendly Touring option — humpless auto-top for the Spyder and a wingless GT4.
That would be great.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
So, now that Geneva motor show is just around the corner, and speculation suggests that both GT4 & Spyder will be officially unveiled there.
Do you guys think the Spyder will be finally unveiled and presented with the GT4 wheel design? ( as spy images ), or do you think Porsche will fit the unique wheel design for the Spyder? , like ALL previous models and history showed us.

Both previous gen Spyders had their unique wheels ( only Spyder ).

My thoughts are in line with what history showed us, a special and unique wheel design for the Spyder. However, the fact that the Spyder is being developed with similar suspensions and brakes as GT4, maybe Porsche will just end up using the same wheel design for both the Spyder & GT4.

what do you guys think?
I think they might share wheels this time personally

I really hope they don't decide to do GT4 - Geneva, Spyder - NYC...
Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM
dingo64
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello everybody! I am following this topic as I am interested in buying a 981 Spyder, but I am trying to find out if the new 718 Spyder will have a NA engine or a Turbo one, because I believe if it will be NA, the prices of the 981 Spyder will drop down.

My info (a friend of mine that is close to Porsche for his job) believe that it will be NA... if this will be the case, it is a good news for the NA fans, I believe.

Do you think the quotation of a "second hand" 981 Spyder will drop down? If yes, how much?

I mean, do you think make sense to stop the "hunting" and see what happen or anyway, if I find a good 981 Spyder for about 85 euro (I live in Europe) is a deal to do?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dingo64; 01-09-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-09-2019, 12:53 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,630 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Spyder should be to the GT4 what the Speedster is to the GT3 — a GT4 convertible with humps. Also as with the GT3, both should offer a more user-friendly Touring option — humpless auto-top for the Spyder and a wingless GT4.
Key word “Should”
The fact is nothing is known 100%. Both generations of previous Spyder mules all used different wheels up to debut... Also the Speedster which is still concept only isn’t a good example as both versions had different wheels from the GT3. Everything to this point has been speculation based simply on GT4 info and spy photos. More info has been around the GT4 simply due to the closer relation to the CS. I would say it is 50% chance that the next Spyder is a true drop top GT4 or sticks to the current formula? Judging from spy photos (Same brakes, wheel size, tires, bumpers and diffuser). The gap is closing between them... but again all speculation. Porsche has been known to tease and let you think you know everything... then surprise at the end (for good or bad). Big question is when will it debut? I know many are saying Geneva, but I feel it’s based on nothing factual. The debut of the 718 T “could” throw a wrench in everything? I can see Porsche potentially pushing it out even further to the Fall. Knowing the road GT4 will having a complete different engine from the CS supports this theory also. This would allow the 718 T some room? Then again, Porsche did launch the Carrera T and GT3 Touring back to back. So anything is possible. Unlike other Porsche models historically the top Boxster and Cayman (R, GT4 and Spyder), debuts and performance have been inconsistent... so I wouldn’t bet the house on anything just yet.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dingo64
Hello everybody! I am following this topic as I am interested in buying a 981 Spyder, but I am trying to find out if the new 718 Spyder will have a NA engine or a Turbo one, because I believe if it will be NA, the prices of the 981 Spyder will drop down.

My info (a friend of mine that is close to Porsche for his job) believe that it will be NA... if this will be the case, it is a good news for the NA fans, I believe.

Do you think the quotation of a "second hand" 981 Spyder will drop down? If yes, how much?

I mean, do you think make sense to stop the "hunting" and see what happen or anyway, if I find a good 981 Spyder for about 85 euro (I live in Europe) is a deal to do?

Thanks in advance!
Porsche Motorsport has already communicated to the 718 GT4 CS people the Spyder and Road GT4 will share the same engine... which is a NA engine not shared with any other production model.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 01-09-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:01 PM
dingo64
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510

Porsche Motorsport has already communicated to the 718 GT4 CS people the Spyder and Road GT4 will share the same engine... which is a new NA engine not shared with any other production model.
Thanks, so another confirmation... now the question is: do I wait the official launch of the 718 Spyder? Will this really decrease the actual price of the 981 Spyder?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:05 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Do you guys think the Spyder will be finally unveiled and presented with the GT4 wheel design? ( as spy images ), or do you think Porsche will fit the unique wheel design for the Spyder?
Great question. I've been pondering this myself. My highly scientific analysis of this question, drawing on the field of science and animal biology, is set forth below.

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I think they might share wheels this time personally
I was also of this belief and if the car does end up with the GT4 wheel, which may make economic sense, I wouldn't be crushed because I think the GT4 wheel is a great looking wheel in its own right. However, see if you buy into this suspicion of mine that the 982 Spyder will have it's own multi-spoke wheel design with long slender spokes consistent with the wheels on the 987 and 981 Spyders:

We know a spider's eight legs are long and thin, which has led to the term "spidery," an adjective defined as follows:

And we know the wheel on the 987 Spyder, with it's long thin spokes, can definitely be described as "spidery":

Same with the similar long, thin spoke design on the 981 Spyder, which can also be described as "spidery":

The long thin spokes on the 987 and 981 convey lightness, which is consistent with the Spyder ethos and makes them tie in very nicely with the car's raison d'être.

And think of the wheel that came on the RS60 Spyder -- nothing but long thin spokes, right?

Starting to see a pattern? It seems on all of the cars Porsche adorns with the "Spyder" moniker (the 918 perhaps being an exception), the wheels always appear "spidery."

Coincidence? Perhaps.

Maybe the design guys working on these Spyders were subconsciously drawn to a wheel design that can be described as "spidery."

Note the other definition of "spidery" in describing something as web-like:

Check out any spider web and then tell me the wheels on the 987/981/RS60 Spyders don't resemble a web the way the long thin spokes emanate out from the center of the wheel:

I'm telling ya, the 982 Spyder will have a "spidery" wheel design with multiple slender long spokes and because the GT4 wheel doesn't fit this description, the 982 Spyder will get its own unique wheel just like in past gens.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Thanks, so another confirmation... now the question is: do I wait the official launch of the 718 Spyder? Will this really decrease the actual price of the 981 Spyder?
Because the 981 Spyder is superior to all other vehicles, the normal rules of depreciation applicable to most cars upon a new generation release do not apply to it. In fact, 981 prices will rise once the 982 is released. I would thus rush out to buy a 981 as soon as possible.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Great question. I've been pondering this myself. My highly scientific analysis of this question, drawing on the field of science and animal biology, is set forth below.

I was also of this belief and if the car does end up with the GT4 wheel, which may make economic sense, I wouldn't be crushed because I think the GT4 wheel is a great looking wheel in its own right. However, see if you buy into this suspicion of mine that the 982 Spyder will have it's own multi-spoke wheel design with long slender spokes consistent with the wheels on the 987 and 981 Spyders:

We know a spider's eight legs are long and thin, which has led to the term "spidery," an adjective defined as follows:

And we know the wheel on the 987 Spyder, with it's long thin spokes, can definitely be described as "spidery":

Same with the similar long, thin spoke design on the 981 Spyder, which can also be described as "spidery":

The long thin spokes on the 987 and 981 convey lightness, which is consistent with the Spyder ethos and makes them tie in very nicely with the car's raison d'être.

And think of the wheel that came on the RS60 Spyder -- nothing but long thin spokes, right?

Starting to see a pattern? It seems on all of the cars Porsche adorns with the "Spyder" moniker (the 918 perhaps being an exception), the wheels always appear "spidery."

Coincidence? Perhaps.

Maybe the design guys working on these Spyders were subconsciously drawn to a wheel design that can be described as "spidery."

Note the other definition of "spidery" in describing something as web-like:

Check out any spider web and then tell me the wheels on the 987/981/RS60 Spyders don't resemble a web the way the long thin spokes emanate out from the center of the wheel:

I'm telling ya, the 982 Spyder will have a "spidery" wheel design with multiple slender long spokes and because the GT4 wheel doesn't fit this description, the 982 Spyder will get its own unique wheel just like in past gens.

I think the GT4 wheels are extremely Spyder-y and the Spyder logo seems to support my belief. That's why I put them on my Spyder!

Old 01-09-2019, 03:57 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,774 Likes on 755 Posts

This is still my favorite OEM wheel of all time.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:10 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JAhmed
This is still my favorite OEM wheel of all time.

Best Porsche Wheel Ever... ha, but I’m biased!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:34 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

It won't drop the price of the 981 Spyder when it debuts. The price will drop from where it is but not until the 718's are on the street. I don't believe the price drop will be that large either I'm thinking in the 10k range. So if you have found the perfect 981 now and you won't care what the 718 is I would just get the Spyder now.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:06 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Considering the fact that you can basically add about 9k to the price of the GTS. Most of us are fine. Combine that with the fact that they won't sell very many and I really doubt that a good 981 spyder will ever be worth less than 90 - 100k.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I think the GT4 wheels are extremely Spyder-y
I stand corrected and have to agree. The GT4 wheel can definitely be described as "spidery."

Still hoping that the Spyder gets a unique wheel from the GT4 just to differentiate, but could definitely live with the GT4 wheel.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:42 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

the 982 Spyder will get its own unique wheel just like in past gens.

The 987.2 Spyder and the Cayman R shared the same wheel design. Only the 981 received a different wheel than its fixed roof counterpart.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?