Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RX2DO
honestly the brakes on the base 981 are more than adequate, its the cosmetics of the large 410mm or even the 380 non pccb, that I believe really should have been included on the spyder, helps fill the massive 20inch wheels.
Yup, I'd probably look into 18 or 19's if I ever went with aftermarket wheels!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:00 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Cast Wheels suck, get forged wheels.

I went old school, polished forged aluminum Forgelines.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:55 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,618 Likes on 890 Posts

Anyone waiting for the 718 Spyder/GT4 will be waiting for a long time if this article is accurate. 718 T isn’t due stateside until 2020... which means way later for Spyder/GT4

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/01/...-drive-review/
Old 03-07-2019, 02:04 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Anyone waiting for the 718 Spyder/GT4 will be waiting for a long time if this article is accurate. 718 T isn’t due stateside until 2020... which means way later for Spyder/GT4
Fine by me. I plan to drive my 981 GTS a couple more years anyway. A 718 of some flavor with a NA flat-six delivered around 2021-2022 suits me just fine.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:14 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/01/...-drive-review/
I was told that my Spyder order could be placed in September. Would hope for the car a few months after that?
Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I'm confused. A year after my first foray into P-car land I still don't know what some of this terminology means. Can someone give me the marketing and classification Porsche 101 course? What is the significance of the various acronyms GT, T, and the word Touring, etc. as it applies to these cars? Is a Touring model a softer variation of another similar model? If a car is a "GT" car, what exactly does that signify? T? Short for Touring? Sort of a sleeper in the looks department?
Old 03-07-2019, 03:01 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,618 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I was told that my Spyder order could be placed in September. Would hope for the car a few months after that?
Hope you are right... the article could very well be wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time. Though it is very odd that the 718T isn’t on the USA website yet.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I'm confused. A year after my first foray into P-car land I still don't know what some of this terminology means. Can someone give me the marketing and classification Porsche 101 course? What is the significance of the various acronyms GT, T, and the word Touring, etc. as it applies to these cars? Is a Touring model a softer variation of another similar model? If a car is a "GT" car, what exactly does that signify? T? Short for Touring? Sort of a sleeper in the looks department?
Don't worry about what any letters in S, GTS, GT3, or GT4 mean. For now concern yourself with T and Touring Package (which is often referred to simply as Touring).

The 911 T and Cayman T are Carrera/Base cars with some interior, styling, and performance upgrades not normally available on the Carrera/Base. Things like carbon bucket seats, LSD/PTV, Sport Chrono, radio delete (non-US cars), etc. The T means touring. This is not to be confused with Touring Package, which is not a model designation, but a no-cost options package available on the 911 GT3. The GT3 with Touring Package deletes the giant wing, switches from alcantara to leather, and comes with a six speed manual transmission. Think of the GT3 as the all-out look at me track weapon. The GT3 with Touring Package is its less attention-grabbing brother that would rather carve canyons than racetracks.

Where the Boxster/Cayman comes into this is a lot of folks hoping the 718 GT4/Spyder gets some sort of Touring Package. This would mean all the GT4/Spyder performance bits but in a more subdued wrapper. Think no giant GT4 wing or the regular Powergold top on a Spyder.

So there would be a possible world where the following would exist:

Cayman/Boxster Base
Cayman/Boxster T
Cayman/Boxster S
Cayman/Boxster GTS
Cayman GT4 with Touring Package / Boxster Spyder with Touring Package
Cayman GT4 / Boxster Spyder
Cayman GT4 RS
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Don't worry about what any letters in S, GTS, GT3, or GT4 mean. For now concern yourself with T and Touring Package (which is often referred to simply as Touring).

The 911 T and Cayman T are Carrera/Base cars with some interior, styling, and performance upgrades not normally available on the Carrera/Base. Things like carbon bucket seats, LSD/PTV, Sport Chrono, radio delete (non-US cars), etc. The T means touring. This is not to be confused with Touring Package, which is not a model designation, but a no-cost options package available on the 911 GT3. The GT3 with Touring Package deletes the giant wing, switches from alcantara to leather, and comes with a six speed manual transmission. Think of the GT3 as the all-out look at me track weapon. The GT3 with Touring Package is its less attention-grabbing brother that would rather carve canyons than racetracks.

Where the Boxster/Cayman comes into this is a lot of folks hoping the 718 GT4/Spyder gets some sort of Touring Package. This would mean all the GT4/Spyder performance bits but in a more subdued wrapper. Think no giant GT4 wing or the regular Powergold top on a Spyder.

So there would be a possible world where the following would exist:

Cayman/Boxster Base
Cayman/Boxster T
Cayman/Boxster S
Cayman/Boxster GTS
Cayman GT4 with Touring Package / Boxster Spyder with Touring Package
Cayman GT4 / Boxster Spyder
Cayman GT4 RS
Thank you.

Head. Spinning.

And in what world is a GT2 better than a GT3? My kid asked me last night and I had no good answer for him. Seemed counter-intuitive.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

My take is that the car will be launched by early summer, if not sooner. The GT4/Spyder being the last of a generation cycle may have been upended by other variables such as drastic regulations forcing them to completely re-think the entire platform, etc. The T has already been announced; so, it's arrival is already baked in. There is no precedence for a generic model to sit out the entire MY after being announced. So, the T should come in before Spyder. About the so called Cayman/Boxster 6? Not sure how that's gonna play out, if it happens.

There is one very disturbing feature of T, from that review: the auto rev-match can NOT be disabled!! That'll be one big fu*k up, if the Spyder gets the same deal!! The T is allegedly driver-focused. So, if it has that shi*ty auto rev-match, forced, then it doesn't bode well for another driver-focused model: Spyder! To me, it's a deal breaker! Porsche, if you're reading this thread, do NOT fu*k it up!! Keep that in Sport Plus (and, do nothing else in there).
Old 03-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Thank you.

Head. Spinning.

And in what world is a GT2 better than a GT3? My kid asked me last night and I had no good answer for him. Seemed counter-intuitive.
GT2 and GT3 are different racing classifications, here’s a link that better explains it: https://jalopnik.com/understanding-g...***-gu-5949938
Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
There is one very disturbing feature of T, from that review: the auto rev-match can NOT be disabled!! That'll be one big fu*k up, if the Spyder gets the same deal!! The T is allegedly driver-focused. So, if it has that shi*ty auto rev-match, forced, then it doesn't bode well for another driver-focused model: Spyder! To me, it's a deal breaker! Porsche, if you're reading this thread, do NOT fu*k it up!! Keep that in Sport Plus (and, do nothing else in there).
Henry, IIRC when the 718 first came out some of us 981 owners asked new 718 owners if rev-matching could be defeated in Sport + mode by deactivating PSM just as it can be in our cars. I thought the response was yes, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If it is yes, then I doubt that the T would be any different and I would guess that the reviewer in the article on the T simply wasn't aware of this somewhat obscure "work around" to avoid rev matching, which isn't widely known. Just a guess. It would seem strange for Porsche to make deactivation possible on some 718's and not on others IMO.

Like you, I want Porsche to back off and not force rev matching down our throats. I'm not in the market for the new Spyder like you, but if I was it would be a tough pill to swallow if there was no way to deactivate.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Henry, IIRC when the 718 first came out some of us 981 owners asked new 718 owners if rev-matching could be defeated in Sport + mode by deactivating PSM just as it can be in our cars. I thought the response was yes, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If it is yes, then I doubt that the T would be any different and I would guess that the reviewer in the article on the T simply wasn't aware of this somewhat obscure "work around" to avoid rev matching, which isn't widely known. Just a guess. It would seem strange for Porsche to make deactivation possible on some 718's and not on others IMO.

Like you, I want Porsche to back off and not force rev matching down our throats. I'm not in the market for the new Spyder like you, but if I was it would be a tough pill to swallow if there was no way to deactivate.
Rev matching can be defeated by depressing the PSM button in sport or sport + mode - turning off. The 981 only had rev matching in sport + unlike 718 and 991.2 which has it in sport and sport + (w/SC). Although for clarity, PSM is actually never totally turned off BTW - it is always operating in the background and will reengage if ABS is actuated. I wouldn't take the car out of PSM though. It's there for a good reason - to protect drivers who think they are better drivers than they are.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
My thoughts exactly. The f-ing rev matching really annoys me. I don't want to have to play games in order to defeat it. I really wish they would make it a standalone option so I could avoid it altogether. But if it's standard, they need to have a simple button that activates or deactivates it all by itself. Non-defeatable rev matching would be an absolute deal breaker for me.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
My thoughts exactly. The f-ing rev matching really annoys me. I don't want to have to play games in order to defeat it. I really wish they would make it a standalone option so I could avoid it altogether. But if it's standard, they need to have a simple button that activates or deactivates it all by itself. Non-defeatable rev matching would be an absolute deal breaker for me.
I remember when I first saw rev-matching offered on a Nissan 350Z about 15 years ago. I along with all of my Porsche friends laughed at the offering, since what experienced sports car driver would need it. But we thought that the Nissan owners could probably benefit from it. Nowadays I read many posts on Porsche forums where guys love rev-matching and wouldn't buy a Porsche without one. How times have changed.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?