Notices

982 GT4 Spyder?

 
Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM
  #1336  
NelsonF
User
 
NelsonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fallbrook, Ca.
Posts: 441
Default

Originally Posted by RX2DO View Post
honestly the brakes on the base 981 are more than adequate, its the cosmetics of the large 410mm or even the 380 non pccb, that I believe really should have been included on the spyder, helps fill the massive 20inch wheels.
Yup, I'd probably look into 18 or 19's if I ever went with aftermarket wheels!
NelsonF is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:00 PM
  #1337  
blacksheepSpyder
User
 
blacksheepSpyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 525
Default

Cast Wheels suck, get forged wheels.

I went old school, polished forged aluminum Forgelines.
blacksheepSpyder is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:55 PM
  #1338  
n4v4nod
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
n4v4nod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,723
Default

Anyone waiting for the 718 Spyder/GT4 will be waiting for a long time if this article is accurate. 718 T isnít due stateside until 2020... which means way later for Spyder/GT4

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/01/...-drive-review/
n4v4nod is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 02:04 PM
  #1339  
CaymanSinAR
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 811
Default

Originally Posted by n4v4nod View Post
Anyone waiting for the 718 Spyder/GT4 will be waiting for a long time if this article is accurate. 718 T isnít due stateside until 2020... which means way later for Spyder/GT4
Fine by me. I plan to drive my 981 GTS a couple more years anyway. A 718 of some flavor with a NA flat-six delivered around 2021-2022 suits me just fine.
CaymanSinAR is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 02:14 PM
  #1340  
JAhmed
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
JAhmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CHICAGOLAND!!!
Posts: 1,030
Default

Originally Posted by n4v4nod View Post
Anyone waiting for the 718 Spyder/GT4 will be waiting for a long time if this article is accurate. 718 T isnít due stateside until 2020... which means way later for Spyder/GT4

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/01/...-drive-review/
I was told that my Spyder order could be placed in September. Would hope for the car a few months after that?
JAhmed is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM
  #1341  
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SpyderSenseOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 826
Default

I'm confused. A year after my first foray into P-car land I still don't know what some of this terminology means. Can someone give me the marketing and classification Porsche 101 course? What is the significance of the various acronyms GT, T, and the word Touring, etc. as it applies to these cars? Is a Touring model a softer variation of another similar model? If a car is a "GT" car, what exactly does that signify? T? Short for Touring? Sort of a sleeper in the looks department?
SpyderSenseOC is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 03:01 PM
  #1342  
n4v4nod
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
n4v4nod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,723
Default

Originally Posted by JAhmed View Post
I was told that my Spyder order could be placed in September. Would hope for the car a few months after that?
Hope you are right... the article could very well be wrong. Wouldnít be the first time. Though it is very odd that the 718T isnít on the USA website yet.
n4v4nod is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 03:08 PM
  #1343  
CaymanSinAR
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 811
Default

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC View Post
I'm confused. A year after my first foray into P-car land I still don't know what some of this terminology means. Can someone give me the marketing and classification Porsche 101 course? What is the significance of the various acronyms GT, T, and the word Touring, etc. as it applies to these cars? Is a Touring model a softer variation of another similar model? If a car is a "GT" car, what exactly does that signify? T? Short for Touring? Sort of a sleeper in the looks department?
Don't worry about what any letters in S, GTS, GT3, or GT4 mean. For now concern yourself with T and Touring Package (which is often referred to simply as Touring).

The 911 T and Cayman T are Carrera/Base cars with some interior, styling, and performance upgrades not normally available on the Carrera/Base. Things like carbon bucket seats, LSD/PTV, Sport Chrono, radio delete (non-US cars), etc. The T means touring. This is not to be confused with Touring Package, which is not a model designation, but a no-cost options package available on the 911 GT3. The GT3 with Touring Package deletes the giant wing, switches from alcantara to leather, and comes with a six speed manual transmission. Think of the GT3 as the all-out look at me track weapon. The GT3 with Touring Package is its less attention-grabbing brother that would rather carve canyons than racetracks.

Where the Boxster/Cayman comes into this is a lot of folks hoping the 718 GT4/Spyder gets some sort of Touring Package. This would mean all the GT4/Spyder performance bits but in a more subdued wrapper. Think no giant GT4 wing or the regular Powergold top on a Spyder.

So there would be a possible world where the following would exist:

Cayman/Boxster Base
Cayman/Boxster T
Cayman/Boxster S
Cayman/Boxster GTS
Cayman GT4 with Touring Package / Boxster Spyder with Touring Package
Cayman GT4 / Boxster Spyder
Cayman GT4 RS
CaymanSinAR is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 PM
  #1344  
SpyderSenseOC
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SpyderSenseOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 826
Default

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR View Post
Don't worry about what any letters in S, GTS, GT3, or GT4 mean. For now concern yourself with T and Touring Package (which is often referred to simply as Touring).

The 911 T and Cayman T are Carrera/Base cars with some interior, styling, and performance upgrades not normally available on the Carrera/Base. Things like carbon bucket seats, LSD/PTV, Sport Chrono, radio delete (non-US cars), etc. The T means touring. This is not to be confused with Touring Package, which is not a model designation, but a no-cost options package available on the 911 GT3. The GT3 with Touring Package deletes the giant wing, switches from alcantara to leather, and comes with a six speed manual transmission. Think of the GT3 as the all-out look at me track weapon. The GT3 with Touring Package is its less attention-grabbing brother that would rather carve canyons than racetracks.

Where the Boxster/Cayman comes into this is a lot of folks hoping the 718 GT4/Spyder gets some sort of Touring Package. This would mean all the GT4/Spyder performance bits but in a more subdued wrapper. Think no giant GT4 wing or the regular Powergold top on a Spyder.

So there would be a possible world where the following would exist:

Cayman/Boxster Base
Cayman/Boxster T
Cayman/Boxster S
Cayman/Boxster GTS
Cayman GT4 with Touring Package / Boxster Spyder with Touring Package
Cayman GT4 / Boxster Spyder
Cayman GT4 RS
Thank you.

Head. Spinning.

And in what world is a GT2 better than a GT3? My kid asked me last night and I had no good answer for him. Seemed counter-intuitive.
SpyderSenseOC is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 PM
  #1345  
the_rider
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
the_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Posts: 869
Default

My take is that the car will be launched by early summer, if not sooner. The GT4/Spyder being the last of a generation cycle may have been upended by other variables such as drastic regulations forcing them to completely re-think the entire platform, etc. The T has already been announced; so, it's arrival is already baked in. There is no precedence for a generic model to sit out the entire MY after being announced. So, the T should come in before Spyder. About the so called Cayman/Boxster 6? Not sure how that's gonna play out, if it happens.

There is one very disturbing feature of T, from that review: the auto rev-match can NOT be disabled!! That'll be one big fu*k up, if the Spyder gets the same deal!! The T is allegedly driver-focused. So, if it has that shi*ty auto rev-match, forced, then it doesn't bode well for another driver-focused model: Spyder! To me, it's a deal breaker! Porsche, if you're reading this thread, do NOT fu*k it up!! Keep that in Sport Plus (and, do nothing else in there).
the_rider is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:43 PM
  #1346  
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Marine Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 13,981
Default

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC View Post
Thank you.

Head. Spinning.

And in what world is a GT2 better than a GT3? My kid asked me last night and I had no good answer for him. Seemed counter-intuitive.
GT2 and GT3 are different racing classifications, hereís a link that better explains it: https://jalopnik.com/understanding-g...***-gu-5949938
Marine Blue is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 AM
  #1347  
Suicide Jockey
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Suicide Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,723
Default

Originally Posted by the_rider View Post
There is one very disturbing feature of T, from that review: the auto rev-match can NOT be disabled!! That'll be one big fu*k up, if the Spyder gets the same deal!! The T is allegedly driver-focused. So, if it has that shi*ty auto rev-match, forced, then it doesn't bode well for another driver-focused model: Spyder! To me, it's a deal breaker! Porsche, if you're reading this thread, do NOT fu*k it up!! Keep that in Sport Plus (and, do nothing else in there).
Henry, IIRC when the 718 first came out some of us 981 owners asked new 718 owners if rev-matching could be defeated in Sport + mode by deactivating PSM just as it can be in our cars. I thought the response was yes, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If it is yes, then I doubt that the T would be any different and I would guess that the reviewer in the article on the T simply wasn't aware of this somewhat obscure "work around" to avoid rev matching, which isn't widely known. Just a guess. It would seem strange for Porsche to make deactivation possible on some 718's and not on others IMO.

Like you, I want Porsche to back off and not force rev matching down our throats. I'm not in the market for the new Spyder like you, but if I was it would be a tough pill to swallow if there was no way to deactivate.
Suicide Jockey is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 AM
  #1348  
subshooter
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
subshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Orleans, LA (NOLA)
Posts: 2,573
Default

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey View Post
Henry, IIRC when the 718 first came out some of us 981 owners asked new 718 owners if rev-matching could be defeated in Sport + mode by deactivating PSM just as it can be in our cars. I thought the response was yes, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If it is yes, then I doubt that the T would be any different and I would guess that the reviewer in the article on the T simply wasn't aware of this somewhat obscure "work around" to avoid rev matching, which isn't widely known. Just a guess. It would seem strange for Porsche to make deactivation possible on some 718's and not on others IMO.

Like you, I want Porsche to back off and not force rev matching down our throats. I'm not in the market for the new Spyder like you, but if I was it would be a tough pill to swallow if there was no way to deactivate.
Rev matching can be defeated by depressing the PSM button in sport or sport + mode - turning off. The 981 only had rev matching in sport + unlike 718 and 991.2 which has it in sport and sport + (w/SC). Although for clarity, PSM is actually never totally turned off BTW - it is always operating in the background and will reengage if ABS is actuated. I wouldn't take the car out of PSM though. It's there for a good reason - to protect drivers who think they are better drivers than they are.
subshooter is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:56 AM
  #1349  
Denny Swift
User
 
Denny Swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: PA
Posts: 75
Default

Originally Posted by the_rider View Post
There is one very disturbing feature of T, from that review: the auto rev-match can NOT be disabled!! That'll be one big fu*k up, if the Spyder gets the same deal!! The T is allegedly driver-focused. So, if it has that shi*ty auto rev-match, forced, then it doesn't bode well for another driver-focused model: Spyder! To me, it's a deal breaker! Porsche, if you're reading this thread, do NOT fu*k it up!! Keep that in Sport Plus (and, do nothing else in there).
My thoughts exactly. The f-ing rev matching really annoys me. I don't want to have to play games in order to defeat it. I really wish they would make it a standalone option so I could avoid it altogether. But if it's standard, they need to have a simple button that activates or deactivates it all by itself. Non-defeatable rev matching would be an absolute deal breaker for me.
Denny Swift is offline  
Old 03-08-2019, 12:09 PM
  #1350  
fast1
Super User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,477
Default

Originally Posted by Denny Swift View Post
My thoughts exactly. The f-ing rev matching really annoys me. I don't want to have to play games in order to defeat it. I really wish they would make it a standalone option so I could avoid it altogether. But if it's standard, they need to have a simple button that activates or deactivates it all by itself. Non-defeatable rev matching would be an absolute deal breaker for me.
I remember when I first saw rev-matching offered on a Nissan 350Z about 15 years ago. I along with all of my Porsche friends laughed at the offering, since what experienced sports car driver would need it. But we thought that the Nissan owners could probably benefit from it. Nowadays I read many posts on Porsche forums where guys love rev-matching and wouldn't buy a Porsche without one. How times have changed.
fast1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: