Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by rloggie
Having recently driven a 991 Turbo s and found my Spyder more fun to drive, I agree.
And a Turbo S sounds like crap.
One of the worst engines that I've ever heard on the street.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash
Now what?

So, I missed out on the 981 Spyder, and convinced myself that i'll wait for the next gen Spyder.

Already have a deposit down with my Porsche dealer for a build slot on this upcoming 718 Spyder. When the rumors first surficed 4.0 , I was just so freakin excited. Because the 718 Spyder test mule is looking really good in terms of design.

So, the stage was set, great design matched with a 4.0 manual, thats stuff of dreams really!!!!

However, now with this last video that was just released

Don't know what to think really. At first, I did not want to believe the noise I'm hearing...... but who are we kidding, its a 4 banger turbo ( STI noise )

So, NOW WHAT?????

If we want to be optimistic and hope its a 4.0 NA ( that Video keeps ringing in my ear ) and disappointment comes again.

And if I except that its a 4 banger turbo, I'm no longer sure I want one..........

Where to go from here...... I guess only time will tell.
This! --- EXACTLY what I am going through (missed the boat last round). I know exactly how you feel. I am in the same boat, and currently #1 on wait list with my local dealer. Absolutely bummed if this is true.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

Any chance that the car in the video testing, might be only testing bodywork etc. And not the final engine setup in which the car will be released with???
Old 03-24-2018, 05:47 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Any chance that the car in the video testing, might be only testing bodywork etc. And not the final engine setup in which the car will be released with???

I was wondering the same thing. It’s quite possible that this a body mule, with a GTS engine?
Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Now what?

So, I missed out on the 981 Spyder, and convinced myself that i'll wait for the next gen Spyder.

Already have a deposit down with my Porsche dealer for a build slot on this upcoming 718 Spyder. When the rumors first surficed 4.0 , I was just so freakin excited. Because the 718 Spyder test mule is looking really good in terms of design.

So, the stage was set, great design matched with a 4.0 manual, thats stuff of dreams really!!!!

However, now with this last video that was just released

Don't know what to think really. At first, I did not want to believe the noise I'm hearing...... but who are we kidding, its a 4 banger turbo ( STI noise )

So, NOW WHAT?????

If we want to be optimistic and hope its a 4.0 NA ( that Video keeps ringing in my ear ) and disappointment comes again.

And if I except that its a 4 banger turbo, I'm no longer sure I want one..........

Where to go from here...... I guess only time will tell.
How did you miss out? There are 981 Spyders out there for sale. 3 at Porsche San Diego right now. Go buy one.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:25 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 947 Posts

Best view of the new GT4/Spyder bumper... note below the side markers... new angular crease that lines up with the rocker lines. Also better view of the new front intake exhaust vents at the lower front wheel arch.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:02 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I’ll add that when comparing it back to back with the 718 I am not hearing the same turbo whine and the pitch of this engine is a bit higher which still makes me think it’s a NA.
You are correct. I have also looked up a 718 Boxster GTS review emphasizing on sound. This proto sounds completely different. Off throttle overrun of GTS and the prototype couldn't be more different. GTS sounds awful. Very brief on-throttle sound is very different from GTS as well. The new euro regs are hard on the sound level. The emissions regs also impact the note of the sound as well. So, don't expect it to sound like 981 version. We will get a better and longer clip soon. I think I like what I am hearing.

It should be running the production version of the engine since it is pretty late in the testing phase. Judging by how complete it looks and how brazenly they let it loose on the wild, I would say the launch is imminent. And, gentlemen, don't cancel your deposit yet! It is definitely NA; and, a GT product! We will know real soon.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by the_rider
You are correct. I have also looked up a 718 Boxster GTS review emphasizing on sound. This proto sounds completely different. Off throttle overrun of GTS and the prototype couldn't be more different. GTS sounds awful. Very brief on-throttle sound is very different from GTS as well. The new euro regs are hard on the sound level. The emissions regs also impact the note of the sound as well. So, don't expect it to sound like 981 version. We will get a better and longer clip soon. I think I like what I am hearing.

It should be running the production version of the engine since it is pretty late in the testing phase. Judging by how complete it looks and how brazenly they let it loose on the wild, I would say the launch is imminent. And, gentlemen, don't cancel your deposit yet! It is definitely NA; and, a GT product! We will know real soon.
'Hopefully' pessimistic.. Fingers crossed..
Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
How did you miss out? There are 981 Spyders out there for sale. 3 at Porsche San Diego right now. Go buy one.
Didn't know there were new ones unsold still out there. I'll check out their site. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

They are used. I don't buy used cars. Just personal preference.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:48 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider

I have a pretty reliable source who originally said that he didn’t think it was going to be NA. Then out of the blue, he sent me a message about 6-8 week’s ago that 4.0l is happening. Hence why I am 1st in line at my local dealership for this and already traded my 981. Let’s hope I don’t regret that decision...
Old 03-24-2018, 08:50 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
They are used. I don't buy used cars. Just personal preference.
Even ones with 20 miles on them?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=BOXSTE
Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Nice find!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Originally Posted by JAM2

I have a pretty reliable source who originally said that he didn’t think it was going to be NA. Then out of the blue, he sent me a message about 6-8 week’s ago that 4.0l is happening. Hence why I am 1st in line at my local dealership for this and already traded my 981. Let’s hope I don’t regret that decision...
That is quite a commitment and confidence in your source. This wait is killing me..
Old 03-24-2018, 10:44 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
That is quite a commitment and confidence in your source. This wait is killing me..
Boy is it! I wish I had that kind of faith. In the meantime I'm glad mine is still in my garage even though I'm also first on a local list.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?