Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I find it exceptionally sufficient.

I'm dying to know about the 718 Spyder and GT4 not because of the power, but whether or not it will be NA. If it is a turbo four I don't have any interest (because I'd just get a 718 S instead). If it is a NA 6 I am all kinds of interested. The 718 chassis with a NA 6 would be my holy grail.
What's the difference between 718 chassis and 981?
Old 02-22-2018, 08:51 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,617 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
AFAIK nothing... 718 was modified to accommodate the turbo flat 4.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Just wondering if there will ever be an end to the search for more and more HP. The first 911 I purchased many decades ago had about 200 HP, and I thought that was more than adequate. The current 781S has around 350 HP and apparently that isn't sufficient. I understand that Porsche loves this HP game because it helps them to sell cars and the more the HP, the higher the price. I've had the pleasure of driving a 987 Spyder on many occasions, and I thought that car had a perfect blend of handling, power, braking, feedback, and exhaust sound. I can't imagine that adding more HP to that car would improve the driving pleasure, at least not for the street.

Bottom line it comes down to how someone intends to use his car. If it's primarily a track car, then I appreciate the desire for more HP. For the street I'm not certain more power is required, except maybe as a selling tool for Porsche.
the 981GT4/Spyder could use more torque. The down low power would benefit on both the track and street.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
the 981GT4/Spyder could use more torque. The down low power would benefit on both the track and street.
I suppose it depends upon your expectations. I remember the first sports car that I owned: Triumph GT6. It had about a 100 HP and a curb weight of around 1900 lbs. I raced that car in SCCA events and also used it for the street. I never thought it was underpowered. How times have changed.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:13 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Actually, the chassis of 982 is tweaked, as it happens with each generation/model refresh. Here are excerpts from some of the reviews:

evo:
"....The styling has been subtly updated and the chassis has been revised, taking into account the new engine’s characteristics....."

Jalopnik:
"Aside from cosmetic tweaks on the outside and a redesigned interior, the other big news is a redesigned chassis. Firmer springs and sway bars, retuned shock absorbers and what Porsche says is a revised steering rack that’s 10 percent quicker on-center should make the new Cayman even better at handling, which it definitely did not suck at before. "

TopGear
"....That’s to say a thorough round of styling updates in line with the 718 Boxster, tweaks to the chassis, ......."

The next gen Spyder in 982 chassis will rock. Icing on the cake? Likely a GT roadster for the first time (not withstanding CGT as it was a Targa)! Yes, it has the potential to be my Holy Grail as well!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Just wondering if there will ever be an end to the search for more and more HP. The first 911 I purchased many decades ago had about 200 HP, and I thought that was more than adequate. The current 781S has around 350 HP and apparently that isn't sufficient. I understand that Porsche loves this HP game because it helps them to sell cars and the more the HP, the higher the price. I've had the pleasure of driving a 987 Spyder on many occasions, and I thought that car had a perfect blend of handling, power, braking, feedback, and exhaust sound. I can't imagine that adding more HP to that car would improve the driving pleasure, at least not for the street.

Bottom line it comes down to how someone intends to use his car. If it's primarily a track car, then I appreciate the desire for more HP. For the street I'm not certain more power is required, except maybe as a selling tool for Porsche.
I agree, at some point the power can no longer be safely exploited on public roads and for the most part it’s latent.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:45 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,617 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Actually, the chassis of 982 is tweaked, as it happens with each generation/model refresh. Here are excerpts from some of the reviews:

evo:
"....The styling has been subtly updated and the chassis has been revised, taking into account the new engine’s characteristics....."

Jalopnik:
"Aside from cosmetic tweaks on the outside and a redesigned interior, the other big news is a redesigned chassis. Firmer springs and sway bars, retuned shock absorbers and what Porsche says is a revised steering rack that’s 10 percent quicker on-center should make the new Cayman even better at handling, which it definitely did not suck at before. "

TopGear
"....That’s to say a thorough round of styling updates in line with the 718 Boxster, tweaks to the chassis, ......."

The next gen Spyder in 982 chassis will rock. Icing on the cake? Likely a GT roadster for the first time (not withstanding CGT as it was a Targa)! Yes, it has the potential to be my Holy Grail as well!
IMHO EVO's is the best description. It's primarily tweaked to accommodate the heavier Turbo flat 4... also note that the steering is the same as the 981 Spyder which is borrowed from the 911 Turbo.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:59 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, it is bit hard to know what 'tweak' means without official description from Porsche. And, you are right; the steering is same as Spyder's. With 982 Spyder, I expect the chassis to be further updated. Based on the pictures of prototypes, the underpinnings and updates are likely to be same as GT4's. However, I do expect that the Spyder to maintain the street-focus, a differentiator from GT4.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I agree, at some point the power can no longer be safely exploited on public roads and for the most part it’s latent.
And then it gets down to bragging rights: I've got a 400 HP car. I live in the country in northern MD. So 90% of my driving is on country roads, but even in this rural setting I rarely get the opportunity to push my car because there are still some cars on the road. The big advantage I have is the abundance of winding roads. I appreciate the fact that I'm in the tiny minority, and that virtually everyone wants more power. Actually I'd take the extra power also, except that I know that Porsche will charge a hefty premium for the extra HP, and it's HP I don't require.
I must admit that I enjoy the speculation about the 982 GT4 / Spyder. As someone who has owned several iterations of the 911 over the decades, IMO the Spyder is the best car that Porsche makes for the street.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't know specifically, beyond what others have posted. Let me rephrase.

I *love* the styling of the 718. Blows away the 981 (mostly for the Boxster). Still, I bought a 981 Boxster GTS because the overall experience was better. But man would I love to have a NA flat six in the chassis/body of the 718. Would be my perfect combination of style and experience.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I don't know specifically, beyond what others have posted. Let me rephrase.

I *love* the styling of the 718. Blows away the 981 (mostly for the Boxster). Still, I bought a 981 Boxster GTS because the overall experience was better. But man would I love to have a NA flat six in the chassis/body of the 718. Would be my perfect combination of style and experience.
Ok got it

As a 981 Spyder owner I want to prefer the looks over the 718. But I don't. Initially I didn't like the 718 front end but now I think it's better with the rounder headlights. Same with the interior air vents. The square ones look dated to me now. Damn those guys at Porsche!!!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

They are the same underside. Mounting points etc... Everything is interchangable underside from the 981.

Engine is the only real difference apart from styling.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Biggest difference, other than the motor, to most will be the more direct steering. The 718 has the same quicker steering that's in the 981 Spyder and it is a noticeable different from the regular 981 cars. 718 also offers SPASM vs. the 981's X73, though having had both, I don't think either is better than the other.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:49 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I suppose it depends upon your expectations. I remember the first sports car that I owned: Triumph GT6. It had about a 100 HP and a curb weight of around 1900 lbs. I raced that car in SCCA events and also used it for the street. I never thought it was underpowered. How times have changed.
Drivers that can't maintain momentum and that brake too much in turns will always demand more HP. They are the ones saying: "You can never have enough HP". There just seems to be more of them today than before.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Drivers that can't maintain momentum and that brake too much in turns will always demand more HP. They are the ones saying: "You can never have enough HP". There just seems to be more of them today than before.
cars have become heavier too.... power to weight.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?