Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:15 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Kisnarch, I stand corrected on the premixed coolant point. It's honestly been five years since I've had to buy some during a water pump replacement. You're right that it was straight coolant that I mixed to 50/50 with DI water.

Terb, the freezing point of alcohol/water mixtures are well known. It's not really an experiment if the chemistry is already well understood. The total capacity of the cooling system is in the five gallon (20L) range. He's probably going to add half a liter at most. So he's going from a 50/50 mix to a 52.5/48.5 mix. That changes the freezing point from about -39 to -36C. That should have him covered, even in Canada.
Total coolant capacity in a 981 is 25L +/- a drop or three. If you have the center radiator, add the amount of coolant needed to fill it and its hoses for total capacity. Slight variations in coolant capacity are also caused by differences between gearbox oil coolers between PDK and manual. I just finished adding the center radiator to my BS and while looking through all the specs in the Porsche WSM, a came across the 25L capacity. When I drained my system, using the methods recommended in the WSM, I was able to get about 3.7 gallons (14L) out.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Radioflyer3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added about 4 cups (a litre) until the red float just began to move. I am surprised it required this much coolant and am going to keep a close eye for any leaks as is was supposedly "serviced" by the dealer before we bought it.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

You might want to replace the O-Ring on the cap, they compress and that will allow coolant to seep out. In fact I would say it’s something that should be replaced every 3 years to keep the system properly sealed. For reference there are two caps, both should be monitored for leaks. The refill cap is usually the one that leaks but there’s a second cap in the engine bay that also can leak.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Radioflyer3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The refill cap is usually the one that leaks but there’s a second cap in the engine bay that also can leak.
There was some white powder residue in the outer ring of the filler cap. Could this be from a leaking overflow?
Old 01-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Radioflyer3
There was some white powder residue in the outer ring of the filler cap. Could this be from a leaking overflow?
Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Yes.
Mine was leaking through the seal. I changed the seal and no more residue.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone know if the Porsche antifreeze/coolant has an expiration or "best by" date? I'm not planning on drinking it, just that I have a gallon that I haven't used for years, since the days of my 996.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't think you're trying to be provocative, but I do think we have different definitions or what's relevant when it comes to maintenance. A small change (3%) in the water content of a large volume of a mixture made up of water and ethylene glycol is not meaningful to me. If someone lived in an area where it hit temperatures where this concentration change would be the difference between a liquid a solid in their cooling system then it would be relevant. On the other hand, a small amount of water contamination in a hydraulic system (brakes) that is intended to be 100% oil, would concern me. Why? Because the same 3% change results in a change in the boiling point of the brake fluid of tens or even hundreds of degrees. Since I track my car, maintaining a high boiling point of my brake fluid is important and I choose to regularly flush my brake system (every year or two with frequent bleeds between). For the average person driving on the street this isn't as relevant, but the manufacturers agree it is relevant enough to recommend a change every two years. So it's not arbitrary. It depends on how much of a change it will cause and whether that amount of change is relevant.

In the case of your Ford stopping fine, I would question whether it would continue stopping fine if you had to do repeated high speed stops. Also, I would be concerned that the water in the system is contributing to corrosion which might eventually lead to a failure.

I hope all this helps you understand an alternate point of view to your own. It's not a matter of who is right and who is wrong. It's your car, do whatever you want with it. If someone asks for advice I do my best to offer my point of view which is typically back up with some thought and data.

Shawn

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Mensh, Then being fastidious with small details on maintenance is arbitrary. As I said in another thread my Ford has seven year old brake fluid, stops fine. I'm confident the Spyder could go three years or more on the same fluid, no matter what manufacturer made said fluid. Having said that I will never leave the fluid in my Spyder as someday the car will be sold and I want it to have a complete maintenance history in accordance with Porsche factory schedules and future buyer expectations. I don't disagree with your assessment about the radiator in any fashion but I am curious as to why one practice requires strict accordance and the other can slide a little. Additionally if your car was at the dealer with low coolant would you expect them to add water? Would you be satisfied if that was the remedy? Genuinely curious, please know I'm not trying to be provocative.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:44 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i lost a buyer of my car to-day even after i showed them a copy of all my service records etched in gold on 100 year old paper with a notary seal from the gods of po...................................................................... ..............my down fall was i used non po windshield washer fluid that was out of date ........i feel so cheap
Old 01-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
i lost a buyer of my car to-day even after i showed them a copy of all my service records etched in gold on 100 year old paper with a notary seal from the gods of po...................................................................... ..............my down fall was i used non po windshield washer fluid that was out of date ........i feel so cheap
You’re kidding right? I wouldn’t want that buyer anyways, sounds like the type that would come back and nickel/dime you to death after the sale with anything he/she finds wrong.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps a sign, extanker, that you're not meant to part with her ???
Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
And so you should!
After all you have contributed substantially to the chance of failure for the associated components: a plastic bottle, a pump, and both the windscreen and its wipers.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:28 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts

You want me to make your heads explode? When I replaced the coolant on my 2010 CS, I used freakin' Prestone.

PRAY UNTO THY POWERLESS PORSCHE GODS, YET THEY SHALL NOT SAVE YOU FROM MY BLASPHEMY!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it's compatible it makes more sense than water M2. I used to use Mother's carnuba wax on my car, sometimes at night I still have flashbacks about that.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

I recently found myself low on coolant the night before a scheduled "spirited drive" and with no time to get to the dealer stopped at the local AutoZone and picked up some Peak pre-mix. It was labeled as "For European Cars" and Porsche was specifically called out on the front label. I topped off my coolant, proceeded to drive in a "spirited" manner and no problems to report.

YMMV,

DaveGee

Quick Reply: Antifreeze question