Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 987 New old oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 04:14 PM
rathayes
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 987 New old oil change question

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered or is in an old thread. I did a cursory search but didn't find an answer.

Doing an oil change on my '05 Boxster. After refilling I noticed a big pool of fresh oil under the car. It is NOT from the drain plug NOR from the filter. It's more under the location of the fill port on the right side of the car. It did not overfill in the trunk compartment, but is it possible to fill too fast? Has anyone observed similar before?

I had put in about 7 quarts at this point; still less than needed. I would say half a quart at most ended up on the ground. One thing that didn't occur to me until just now is that I did not remove the oil fill cap when draining. I did let it drain for > 1 hour so it seems unlikely that it did not completely drain but is it possible I just overfilled it?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Hello Ray - I suspect you didn't receive any answers since you put your post in the Cayenne DIY subforum, where new posts are all moderated, and not visible to anyone unless approved by a moderator.

I'm moving this to the correct forum.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:06 AM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any good reasons for it happening, but have you checked the current oil level?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rathayes
Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered or is in an old thread. I did a cursory search but didn't find an answer.

Doing an oil change on my '05 Boxster. After refilling I noticed a big pool of fresh oil under the car. It is NOT from the drain plug NOR from the filter. It's more under the location of the fill port on the right side of the car. It did not overfill in the trunk compartment, but is it possible to fill too fast? Has anyone observed similar before?

I had put in about 7 quarts at this point; still less than needed. I would say half a quart at most ended up on the ground. One thing that didn't occur to me until just now is that I did not remove the oil fill cap when draining. I did let it drain for > 1 hour so it seems unlikely that it did not completely drain but is it possible I just overfilled it?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!
Hard to believe you can add oil too fast. The times I've changed the oil in my cars I've just unscrewed the cap and tipped the bottle upside down over the oil tube hole -- the Boxster has a spring loaded mini-funnel the Turbo just an open hole -- and let the oil run out of the bottle as fast as it can. Never had any problems with the oil backing up.

What I have done with the Turbo is misjudged the oil filler tube opening and as a result ending up pouring some oil that misses the tube opening and instead runs down the outside of the oll tube.

When this happens I take a can of carb cleaner and spray the area affected by the spilled oil to remove the oil so it doesn't collect dirt nor continue to run down and make a spot on the ground.

I vaguely recall one or two cases where the oil filler tube develops a leak, develops a crack or split or comes loose somehow, but this is usually more a problem when the engine is running as the tube lets in unmetered air.

My guess is you just missed the oil tube hole with some oil.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

I have an 07 987S, take roughly 9 to 10 qts. Do you have a 2.7 engine?

You likely poured to quickly and the oil did not drain fast enough. There is a small hole that drains directly under the car in the event of an overfill of the fill tube. This can happen if you overfill the engine, or pour faster than the fill tube can drain into the engine.

See the whole at the bottom between the two fill tubes?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/more_inf...70052-1120.jpg
Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM
rathayes
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Syeo86
I have an 07 987S, take roughly 9 to 10 qts. Do you have a 2.7 engine?

You likely poured to quickly and the oil did not drain fast enough. There is a small hole that drains directly under the car in the event of an overfill of the fill tube. This can happen if you overfill the engine, or pour faster than the fill tube can drain into the engine.

See the whole at the bottom between the two fill tubes?
http://www.pelicanparts.com/more_inf...70052-1120.jpg
Thanks for the reply. I also saw some comments in threads about the fill tube cracking so I suppose that it also a possibility. Oil level has been fine for the last week and car running normal but on Saturday night I was driving on 295 and suddenly the car started running roughly and CEL light came on (solid, not flashing). I stopped and refueled. When I restarted, the CEL light was flashing so I stopped driving it and had it towed to a local import repair shop. Oil level and temp were fine so I really don't think I had lost any oil. Waiting on full details / status, but the shop owner told me that there were codes for misfires on both 2 and 6. He cleared the codes, restarted and codes came right back. So he is starting with coil packs for the bad cylinders and new plugs. 107k on car.

Car was running ok, but would a cracked fill tube possibly cause these issues by pulling in unintended air?

Thanks

Quick Reply: '05 987 New old oil change question