Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crackle/pop disappeared??? How? 981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:48 PM
zordinary
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crackle/pop disappeared??? How? 981 GTS

i have a 981 GTS, not even 10k miles, brand new, didnt drive it that much, but lately have been trying to put miles on it.

Yesterday i started driving and noticed something very strange. Suddenly, in sport mode with the exhaust on, theres not much crackles or pops.

The engine often feels "light" after a spirited drive and very flamboyant and happy revvy. I always assumed this is normal.

However i noticed, it feels even more 'light' today.
And the crackles disappeared.

Before, every time i downshift, there will ALWAYS be crackles in sport mode (i have no tested sports plus yet, i often do not use it).

However, since yesterday, the engine feels very light, and downshifts are way too smooth. There is also no more crackles. If i listen closely with the window down, i can still catch it. It is there. But normally it should be so loud that i undoubtedly always hear it. I even tried downshifting way prematurely, which usually results in thundering pops, but now, theres not much at all...

3 days ago the car still had the crackles.
This is the SAME TANK OF GAS.

always did have a bit higher than natural oil consumption (you can see my previous posts if you do not mind). I have posted quiet a bit of concerns asking for expert help on this forum regarding the oil. I just have this gut feeling that the engine doesn't really feel right. However, the service advisers assure me that it is fine and oil consumption up to 1 liter per 800km is still apparently natural (although to me that sounds like the car is about to die).

I'm very confused on what suddenly happened. The temperature outdoors has been about the same too.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Thankfully, my car does not consume oil; just changed it a few days ago, with 5,500 miles on it, and level remained at 4 bars. And I pretty much got out what I put in, so awesome news. But yes, the supposed limit is 1 liter per 1K miles, which is absolute crap IMO. If you have anywhere near that, I'd start raising hell right away.

Now, to the crackles. First of all, engine has to be at FULL operating temperature for maximum effect, in case you didn't know that. Being cool now, it might take longer than usual. It also depends how quickly you release the gas pedal. If you do it gradually, almost no crackles. The maximum is when you're coasting (off the gas), and just downshifting. Try it like it says above, raising rpm above 3K after each downshift, and report back. With sport AND PSE ON, it should be quite obvious. If nothing, I'd like to know how you did it. Ha ha. It doesn't bother me that much, but would much prefer not to have that. Finally, as long as power feels fine, there's probably nothing wrong with your engine. You have too few miles to have ignition coil issues, which is the most common mechanical issue here. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:48 PM
zordinary
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Thankfully, my car does not consume oil; just changed it a few days ago, with 5,500 miles on it, and level remained at 4 bars. And I pretty much got out what I put in, so awesome news. But yes, the supposed limit is 1 liter per 1K miles, which is absolute crap IMO. If you have anywhere near that, I'd start raising hell right away.

Now, to the crackles. First of all, engine has to be at FULL operating temperature for maximum effect, in case you didn't know that. Being cool now, it might take longer than usual. It also depends how quickly you release the gas pedal. If you do it gradually, almost no crackles. The maximum is when you're coasting (off the gas), and just downshifting. Try it like it says above, raising rpm above 3K after each downshift, and report back. With sport AND PSE ON, it should be quite obvious. If nothing, I'd like to know how you did it. Ha ha. It doesn't bother me that much, but would much prefer not to have that. Finally, as long as power feels fine, there's probably nothing wrong with your engine. You have too few miles to have ignition coil issues, which is the most common mechanical issue here. Good luck.
Hey there! I know and have tried all those things. No luck.! The engine was well over 100 degrees Celsius in its prime temperatures.
I am going to make the oil consumption more of a pressing issue to my dealer. If they continue to refuse to look at it "because it follows Porsche manual" then I'll raise a pinch of hell and maybe go to another dealer. Recently a new one opened directly by Porsche nearby.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Maybe the sport exhaust is not activating properly? I believe there are vacuum lines going to the exhaust dampers. If one or both is broken, then you have a vacuum leak.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:36 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Maybe the sport exhaust is not activating properly? I believe there are vacuum lines going to the exhaust dampers. If one or both is broken, then you have a vacuum leak.
Yea when sitting still, radio off, somewhere quiet like a garage you should be able to hit the sport button (which turns on pse) and hear the sound change. If you cant hear the exhaust get louder and deepen i would suspect the pse is not opening the valves or maybe just one is opening?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 PM
zordinary
Intermediate

Hey guys! The pitch of the car definitely gets lower as it should when sports exhaust is activated. I also can hear that click noise. However, I know anything regarding vacuum. Tried the car again today. I can hear it still, the pops are there, but they are heavily diminished. I have to actually try to listen to it. Whereas previously, it's pretty hard to ignore them!
So the vacuum thing might make sense, since its still there but just more quiet. And the car does sound like its trying harder to take in air, I dont know if that relates to anything, or if its just the sound when temperatures are colder.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:32 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The pops almost disappear with valves closed. You might have an issue there. Try aggressively revving the engine in N (stopped) with PSE on and off, and it should be significantly louder in ON. I know exactly how engine sounds like that, in case I ever have an issue... but if you're not, it might not be obvious to you. So the best way to know they're working is to get your head under the mufflers and see that the valves are completely open when cold. You can easily push the valves closed with your fingers, and they should snap right back with a loud 'clank'. If both are that way, then the valves are working fine. Next step is when engine is hot, activate PSE and watch again that the valves are fully open. If they are open, valves are not the issue (there's no valves half open; only open or closed). If they are closed, but valves are fully open when cold, then you could have a DME issue, which is maintaining vacuum when there should be none, but keep in mind valves are ALWAYS closed when engine is cold (including cold start), and only open at idle after engine is very close to operating temperature, so make sure engine is fully hot before doing a test at idle speed. Valves are normally open (engine off), meaning no vacuum, like in case of malfunction or engine off. They only close with vacuum present. Easy to diagnose if it's the valves or not. But not so easy if valves are fine. Let us know. And if I could, I'd give you my popping for free. Ha ha.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Does anyone know what actually generates the pops? Its not natural since three pops occur every time you roll off the throttle so there's a deliberate function. I remember reading that raw fuel was dropped into the exhaust to cause the pops but I can't confirm the source and how accurate this is. knowing how it's produced may help determine what could be causing it.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, it's excess fuelling in overrun, controlled by a lot of things in the mapping - driving mode (sport plus etc), throttle position, throttle closing speed, PSE ON/OFF, revs, exhaust temp etc etc. A cleaning lady told me there are 5-6 maps in the ECU for this bloody artificial noise making...

So, there are a lot of things that could affect the fart/crackle/pop amount. I would guess a sensor somewhere is showing slightly off values.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

I hope OP finds the root cause... Would love to get rid of all the pops on my car.....
Old 10-30-2017, 10:09 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Yes, it's excess fuelling in overrun, controlled by a lot of things in the mapping - driving mode (sport plus etc), throttle position, throttle closing speed, PSE ON/OFF, revs, exhaust temp etc etc. A cleaning lady told me there are 5-6 maps in the ECU for this bloody artificial noise making...
I trust she workedin Zuffenhausen....

But I had also read similarly.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:14 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajw45
I hope OP finds the root cause... Would love to get rid of all the pops on my car.....
Don't turn on Sport of Sport+ !

More realistically, if you want to use Sport/+ for actual performance, I'm sure you can disable the Sport Exhaust function. May cost some Euro but there have to be shops out there (maybe even dealers?) that have figured it out.

Personally, I love it, and wish I could somehow enable it on my 987.1.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:48 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
I trust she workedin Zuffenhausen....

Yep. Good pay, nice surroundings etc, etc. And you get to hear stuff around the coffee machine...
Old 11-01-2017, 01:53 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zordinary
I am going to make the oil consumption more of a pressing issue to my dealer. If they continue to refuse to look at it "because it follows Porsche manual" then I'll raise a pinch of hell and maybe go to another dealer. Recently a new one opened directly by Porsche nearby.
I don't understand the reluctance to look at excess oil consumption.
While the car is under warranty my dealer has encouraged me to claim 'cause Porsche supplies the parts and the service team gets paid by Porsche at retail rates.
Of course it may be different there from here in Australia.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 PM
AdamSeen
6th Gear

I also started a thread on this (in the wrong forum) on the same issue: https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...-problems.html

From the other thread:
A few months ago I was driving in my 981 S with Sports Exhaust turned on, not driving fast or aggressively and all of a sudden I hear a noise from underneath my car like air was being squeezed out [or in] of a small opening.

Since that day the overrun sound has mostly disappeared. There are barely any pops or burbles in my exhaust note when letting off the gas pedal and any noise that comes out now is lacking in bass and poise.
Did you notice any strange noises when it happened? The most likely cause seems to be what Pep!RRRR and a few others have mentioned, holes in the exhaust system somewhere. I'll be calling up the garage in the next couple of days to see if I can get it resolved.

Quick Reply: Crackle/pop disappeared??? How? 981 GTS