Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant

Sorry for the repost, I've seen this covered but I'm not finding it in a search. Anyhow is the Audi or VW coolant the exact same as Porsche coolant? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:42 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Ah will still take the knowledge but I'm ordering Porsche OEM now
Old 10-25-2017, 04:19 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Ah will still take the knowledge but I'm ordering Porsche OEM now

Here's a good alternative, they are not the same, but they probably work.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/0...364-V7649.aspx
Old 10-25-2017, 04:19 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Per the service manual the Porsche coolant is Total Glacelf Auto Supra. It’s an OAT coolant, not the hybrid G13 stuff that VWs currently use.

Personally I just used Prestone: it’s an OAT coolant like the Total stuff and is compatible.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:33 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Good to know Mr Moose, is that marketed as a "universal" coolant? Either way, I shelled out for the Porsche gallon because hey the Porsche crest on the gallon will also make my fluid shelf cool.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Good to know Mr Moose, is that marketed as a "universal" coolant? Either way, I shelled out for the Porsche gallon because hey the Porsche crest on the gallon will also make my fluid shelf cool.
Somewhere on the internet I read that Porsche coolant contains a lubricant for the water pump. Whether this is true or whether Prestone and other alternatives contain lubricants is worth knowing before just throwing any old stuff in there.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Somewhere on the internet I read that Porsche coolant contains a lubricant for the water pump. Whether this is true or whether Prestone and other alternatives contain lubricants is worth knowing before just throwing any old stuff in there.
The Glacelf is an off the shelf coolant: Porsche doesn't manufacture their own stuff. And there's nothing significantly different about the Porsche water pump or cooling system from any other modern car.

Prestone is definitely not approved by Porsche, and I'm sure if you ask Porsche they'll say to only use Porsche coolant. Prestone says it's fine.

If you have any concerns just spend the money and buy the Porsche stuff to be safe. As for myself I'm personally comfortable using the Prestone given what I know about cars and chemistry, but I won't tell anyone else what to do with their car.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
That's what I was told.

The Porsche techs I talk with told me a bit of coolant seepage past the water pump seal is ok. There should never be any signs of wetness or a build up of antifreeze residue though.

But because of this Porsche antifreeze has compounds that are (reportedly) water pump seal (and maybe bearing) friendly.

Years ago I bought a jug of Porsche antifeeze to have just in case. I don't think I've ever opened the seal.

Absent a leak one can top up the coolant level with distilled water. If one is worried a test strip can be used to know the state/condition of the coolant.

Even in the event of a leak, such as when my Boxster coolant tank gushed hot coolant, after the car cools down the coolant level can be topped up with distilled water. In this case when there was no sign of any leakage with the engine off or running I drove the car to dealer (just a few miles away) for a new coolant tank.

In the case of a water pump leak though I had the car flat bedded to a dealer ( at this time about 20+ miles away).

Every so often -- unfortunately often arising from hitting some road debris (Boxster), hitting a mule deer (Turbo), a failed water pump (Boxster and Turbo), failed coolant tank (Boxster), leaking radiators (Turbo) -- I have the coolant drained (or what's left of it in the engine) and replaced with fresh.

So I keep a jug of distilled water under the kitchen sink, next to the jug of antifreeze.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that’s how they try to convince you to buy the Porsche stuff. All water pumps have similar bearings: there isn’t some magic requirement that the Cayman has for lubrication.

Anyway, given reports here the only thing different about the Cayman water pump is that it’s a piece of junk. I don’t buy what your tech told you: if you see ANY leakage it’s on the way out, IMO, and should be replaced.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:09 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I concur on the leakage being a sign of a pump going south.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:47 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Correct, water pump should never leak anything. If it does, better replace it ASAP.

As far as replacing pumps, do not assume a metal impeller is superior to the OEM plastic style. When the metal impeller pump's bearing fails with enough slop in it, the impeller can machine a significant enough gouge in some (all?) P-car blocks that when the new water pump is installed, it will not work at design capacity and repairing that gouge will be $$$. This was a tip from Tony Callas of Callas Rennsport fame. He has seen a bunch of metal impeller aftermarket pumps cause mucho $$$$ in damage to blocks.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:11 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

FYI, the spec sheet for Pentosin Pentofrost E lists the same part number as for Porsche branded coolant.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Pentofrost_E.pdf (157.2 KB, 659 views)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:47 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have a Porsche dealer anywhere close, so buying their coolant would cost me an arm and a leg with shipping. As MrMoose said, all modern 'long life' coolants are designed for aluminum engines and to lubricate water pumps, so not a huge deal IMO. And they all (long-life ones) should be compatible as well, according to their labels. I just stay away from Dexcool, but maybe even that would be fine nowadays. I personally use Honda coolant for the Porsche (reservoir), since I have an Acura dealer nearby. I figured it has to be better than the off-the-shelf stuff, but use the much cheaper long-life Valvoline (also suitable for Hondas, and most others) for my other vehicles. Both are pre-mixed 50/50 already. What messes up water pumps is 'silicates', but no 'long life' coolant has it. But will keep my eyes open what 981 owners put in their cars when it's time to replace coolant later on. I'm a long way from that myself, at less than 2 years and 8K miles.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:41 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I have more dealers near me than when I was in NY and still chose amazon, I'm not replacing either just need it for a top off.

Quick Reply: Coolant