Sponsored by: APR

Spyder PCCB Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts
Default Spyder PCCB Conversion?

Has anyone ever researched if it was possible to convert a Spyder to PCCBs (using factory components) and what the insanely ridiculous cost to do so would be?
Old 09-22-2017, 04:03 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Suncoast has the front and rear rotors at about $21k, no pads/shipping/install/etc.. The regular Spyder brakes generate some dust but they are very good brakes, unlike those that came on the 2011 Spyder. Not money well spent for me.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Full system would be calipers, etc., which I can't find anywhere. My guess is the cost is nuts, but was curious. Spyder brakes are okay, but not in the league of the PCCBs on my C2S. When I drive them back to back, I really miss the PCCBs.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:24 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Full system would be calipers, etc., which I can't find anywhere. My guess is the cost is nuts, but was curious. Spyder brakes are okay, but not in the league of the PCCBs on my C2S. When I drive them back to back, I really miss the PCCBs.
You can use the stock calipers with spacers to fit the pccb. But if you're just looking for lighter and no-dust, why not get the ST rotors or any of the aftermarket ceramic combos which we've all read about on here? That's the cheapest and apparently most long-lasting entry into the clean-wheel club.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Iirc F4 plt did the conversion on his 987 spyder. Pm him on the logistics. I would guess that it will be much cheaper to find a different spyder optioned with pccb from the factory
Old 09-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Aftermarket would be the way to go, otherwise......
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

If I did it, it would only be OEM for a variety of reasons, which means it would probably be prohibitively expensive, given the cost of the rotors alone.

No way I would ditch this Spyder to get a PCCB one. Spec is too perfect and the car was basically brand new. Was just toying with the idea after driving my cars back to back. I just have to stop doing that.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Iirc F4 plt did the conversion on his 987 spyder. Pm him on the logistics. I would guess that it will be much cheaper to find a different spyder optioned with pccb from the factory
Yes I did and I do not regret it. Yes it is expensive BUT, there are gains. No brake dust, better stopping in all conditions, longer brake life ... and yes they are expensive to replace when the day comes but the benefits to me are greater. I do not track the Spyder but do auto x it and thus the biggest advantage .. reduced unsparing weight resulting is better handling and the times support it. Would I do it again YES . If you track a lot maybe not. They last longer than iron brakes but when you do have to replace rotors PCCBs do cost more. I plan to keep my Spyder for a long time so I'm glad I made the switch plus it just drives better and handles turns and bumpy roads better ... reduced unstrung weight . Hope this helps
Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Does the Spyder have the same calipers and rotors as a GT4 with stock iron rotors?
Old 09-24-2017, 02:28 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Does the Spyder have the same calipers and rotors as a GT4 with stock iron rotors?
Different rotors 380mm F/R on GT4, 340mm F/330mm R on Spyder
Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Thanks
Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Gbboenda
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Thanks
Hi there, I did conversion earlier in the year on my 987.2 Spyder. Details documented here

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...cb-vs-red.html

Still stand by conclusions made.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Suncoast has the front and rear rotors at about $21k, no pads/shipping/install/etc.. The regular Spyder brakes generate some dust but they are very good brakes, unlike those that came on the 2011 Spyder. Not money well spent for me.
This is precisely what prevented me from checking the PCCB box when ordering my car. I looked into replacement costs for pads and rotors and it was a very easy decision to skip the PCCB's. Knowing I was going to drive the car regularly and take it to the track I know I'm not wealthy enough to ever afford to drop $21k on rotors.

Perhaps having experienced PCCB's one can have complaints about the regular iron rotors and Red calipers, but I'm unable to draw any comparisons from experience. I can only say that the standard brakes are yet to bother me for daily driving or on track. I was actually quite dumbfounded by how cool the brakes are on track. 20 minutes at 10/10ths, 1 cool down lap, and the rotors are 400F when I pull back into paddock. Outside of endurance racing or show-and-tell I can't see why anyone actually needs the PCCB's. Then again I can quote my dealer, "It's a Porsche. None of this is about needs".
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is a 2011 Spyder and the Brembos on it are excellent, not sure where you're coming from on that one lil pirata. For that matter the mono block, base stoppers on the 986 were very good as well. I've never driven a Porsche parked it and thought "man this thing has bad brakes". If you want a reference point drive an early 5.0 Mustang and try stopping that beast.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 PM
matthew_brady
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
This is precisely what prevented me from checking the PCCB box when ordering my car. I looked into replacement costs for pads and rotors and it was a very easy decision to skip the PCCB's. Knowing I was going to drive the car regularly and take it to the track I know I'm not wealthy enough to ever afford to drop $21k on rotors.

Perhaps having experienced PCCB's one can have complaints about the regular iron rotors and Red calipers, but I'm unable to draw any comparisons from experience. I can only say that the standard brakes are yet to bother me for daily driving or on track. I was actually quite dumbfounded by how cool the brakes are on track. 20 minutes at 10/10ths, 1 cool down lap, and the rotors are 400F when I pull back into paddock. Outside of endurance racing or show-and-tell I can't see why anyone actually needs the PCCB's. Then again I can quote my dealer, "It's a Porsche. None of this is about needs".
You're exactly right -- nobody needs PCCBs on a car like this, but they do fill out the wheel well quite nicely (a big price to pay for something so silly though...)

I have them on my 987 Cayman. The limit is, and always will be, the friction between the tires and the road. All PCCBs do is help you find that limit faster

...oh and cost a small fortune to maintain when maintenance does come due.

Quick Reply: Spyder PCCB Conversion?